The Wine Thread

Post your recommendations, raves, discoveries, tasting notes, critiques, pans, expertise and ignorance here.

To start things off:

NYC Store recommendation: Chambers Street Wines. Co-owner David Lillie is highly regarded for his expertise particularly in wines of the Loire Valley. He is also a former bari player (Widespread Depression Jazz Orchestra). CSW has probably the best and most discriminating selection of bottles under $15 in NYC. Large selection of Rhone, Loire, Bourgogne, Beaujolais, Languedoc Roussillon as well as Italian. Many organic/biodynamic.

Hurry before it's all gone! Sherry Lehman is selling the 2001 Chateau Bourgneuf for only $19.95!!! Do you remember the last time you could buy a Pomerol for $20?

Edited by Michael Weiss

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the past couple of years, I've been going to the wineries located in southwest Michigan along the Lake Michigan Shore. The wines from this region have been starting to get some attention in the national wine press, as its a region that consistantly produces high quality wines. I've tasted some excellent wines from this area...they are becoming quite good at doing Rieslings, Pinots, and Cabernets. Lots of good stuff coming out this year.....Fenn Valley winery south of Holland always makes a very nice Pinot Grigio, and Domaine Berrien, near St. Joseph, has a very nice blend of Cab Sauv, Cab Franc and Merlot that they call Crown of Cab that is excellent.

I also hear that the wineries further north near Traverse City are excellent as well. Hoping to plan a trip this summer.

• 3 years later...

When I feel like spending money, I like to get a really expensive bottle of Pinot noir. The cost actually makes a difference in this case. I find the cheaper Pinot noirs tend to taste like feet, but a good bottle is fantastic.

For cheap wine, my wife and I usually get Yellowtail Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvingnon. I cannot abide Merlot, which tastes way too grapey for me. Apparently Yellowtail does make a Pinot noir, but they don't carry it at my wine store...

When I feel like spending money, I like to get a really expensive bottle of Pinot noir. The cost actually makes a difference in this case. I find the cheaper Pinot noirs tend to taste like feet, but a good bottle is fantastic.

For cheap wine, my wife and I usually get Yellowtail Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvingnon. I cannot abide Merlot, which tastes way too grapey for me. Apparently Yellowtail does make a Pinot noir, but they don't carry it at my wine store...

If you like Pinot have you ever tried a well made Syrah or a Rhone style wine?

My tastes tend to run along the lines of bold reds [Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petite Syrah] and bone dry whites [Fume Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc].

My problem is the wine industry has pretty much priced me out of the wines I really came to enjoy over the years. I would appreciate any suggestions for well made wines that won't break the bank. Thanks!

Edited by GoodSpeak

If you like Pinot have you ever tried a well made Syrah or a Rhone style wine?

I have not. I will definitely keep it in mind.

We splurged on a 2003 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli.

That's what I'm talking about.

I went to Del Posto last year - nice experience.

When I was in Assisi with the Vanguard band last week, I had a chance to try several different Sagrantinos (as Montefalco is so close by), as well as some aged grappas di Barolo, at a great wine bar, all the while listening to Blue Note compilation CDs and Miles videos! :cool:

Edited by Michael Weiss

I'm happy that the ignorant were invited in the initial post to participate. That would be me. I enjoy an occasional glass of red, pinot I suppose. Rarely white. The most unusual wine I've had was an ice-cold, sweet (but not candy sweet) wine. As I understand it, the process involves letting the grapes chill on the vine with a frost before harvest. Maybe even a hard freeze, not sure. Served in tall, thin glass as desert. Unusual. Very flavorful.

"Sideways" bloopers. :tup

Looks like you guys are into mostly European wines.

We don't see much of them in these parts...mostly California wines. Some Aussie wines and wine from Oregon and Washington State. You have to take a drive into San Francisco or LA/OC to find any French or Spanish wine with any value.

Guess I won't have much to contribute to the thread.

I'm happy that the ignorant were invited in the initial post to participate. That would be me. I enjoy an occasional glass of red, pinot I suppose. Rarely white. The most unusual wine I've had was an ice-cold, sweet (but not candy sweet) wine. As I understand it, the process involves letting the grapes chill on the vine with a frost before harvest. Maybe even a hard freeze, not sure. Served in tall, thin glass as desert. Unusual. Very flavorful.

Do you remember the winery name?

Do you remember the winery name?

I do not. My brother in law, who is very much into wine, broke it out a couple of Christmases ago. I'll ask him about it and report back.

My problem is the wine industry has pretty much priced me out of the wines I really came to enjoy over the years. I would appreciate any suggestions for well made wines that won't break the bank. Thanks!

I've always been a big fan of Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cabernet's and Merlot's. I claim to be no expert, but they have been highly regarded for the past few yrs and come at a very affordable price usually $12 - $14. Just make sure you look for the Grand Estates and not Two Vines which is a cheaper version of the label.

I've always been a big fan of Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cabernet's and Merlot's. I claim to be no expert, but they have been highly regarded for the past few yrs and come at a very affordable price usually $12 - $14. Just make sure you look for the Grand Estates and not Two Vines which is a cheaper version of the label.

Thanks for the tip, Tom.

I've been meaning to take a chance on that winery...I'll check it out.

Thanks for the tip, Tom.

Hey, let me know what you think? You shouldn't have any trouble finding that in your local wine store.

...don't think I ever saw this thread before....love wine as does my better half. We've spent a lot of time in Napa/Sonoma as well as some vineyards in France/Italy.

I'll post some vineyard photos some time...not that anyone necessarily cares....though many of them are beautiful.

m

Thanks for the tip, Tom.

Hey, let me know what you think? You shouldn't have any trouble finding that in your local wine store.

It's on my list, Tom.

Come payday, I'll hunt down a bottle and give it a test drive :D

...don't think I ever saw this thread before....love wine as does my better half. We've spent a lot of time in Napa/Sonoma as well as some vineyards in France/Italy.

I'll post some vineyard photos some time...not that anyone necessarily cares....though many of them are beautiful.

m

Personally, I would love to see those photos.

We live just two hours from the Central Coast wine region...and somewhere I have a few pictures I could share as well.

Edited by GoodSpeak