Mosaic sets

Let's face it, Mosaic box sets are not inexpensive. Yet I, like many here, have purchased a number of them. In my case, some Mosaics I have purchased were my first introduction to an artist. I admit that 5-9 CDs of an artist that I may or may not know much about is a lot of music.

I'm curious how often others do this. And for those who do buy Mosaic sets or other large box sets, with all of the music out there, what makes you choose a box set covering a specific period or label of one artist's output vs. buying a number of individual CDs from that artist's career or buying various CDs from different artists? (I am assuming that most people have limited resources and that a purchase of a Mosaic set precludes the purchase of other CDs, at least until the next month's budget :g )

Let's face it, Mosaic box sets are not inexpensive. Yet I, like many here, have purchased a number of them. In my case, some Mosaics I have purchased were my first introduction to an artist. I admit that 5-9 CDs of an artist that I may or may not know much about is a lot of music.

I'm curious how often others do this. And for those who do buy Mosaic sets or other large box sets, with all of the music out there, what makes you choose a box set covering a specific period or label of one artist's output vs. buying a number of individual CDs from that artist's career or buying various CDs from different artists? (I am assuming that most people have limited resources and that a purchase of a Mosaic set precludes the purchase of other CDs, at least until the next month's budget :g )

Well, in my case, its really not "vs." other Cd's; Mosaics are among the CD's I buy. Quality of music and production, plus sheer enjoyment are some of the reasons I buy Mosaics. The "collectibility factor" is not big with me. My problem is not really Mosaics vs. others, it's one Mosaic vs. another. When I have saved enough money to buy a set which one (or two) do I really want most? I am often guided by the running low list, but my top selections right now would be Farmer/Golson; Stitt; Turrentine; Basie; the upcoming Gillespie set.

Edited by John Tapscott

Except for the Monk BN, Clifford Brown, and Tina Brooks, which were the only LP sets I ever bought, all of the Mosaics I've bought were to replace (and in most cases to add to and improve upon) what I already had as collections of individual LP's. In a few cases (Hank Mobley comes to mind), I already had most of the music on CD thanks to TOCJ's. In more recent years, the possibility of getting everything in individual CD's has become more feasible and affordable, but even then the Mosaics have some big advantages (completeness; great booklets; etc). I've actually passed on a lot of Mosaics, though, when I've already had all (or close to all) of the music on CD.

I've only got 6 main boxes and 2 Selects. I invariably buy them because there's something included (usually several somethings) that I want badly enough to shell out.

Jazz Crusaders - this band was often a victim in the '60s when I was on and off the dole quite a bit, so I only had one LP that is included in the set.

Blue Mitchell - I had all but 3 albums (one was unplayable) of this on LP, but none on CD.

Horace Parlan - I had a couple of albums on LP and one on CD.

Stan Turrentine - I had about half of this on CD, 2 albums not at all and the rest on LP.

Gerald WIlson - I only had about half of this box, and only 2 on CD.

Joe Pass - I only bought this for the sides with Les McCann, of which I had about a third on LP. A lot to pay for one and a half CDs, but I was happy to pay.

Curtis Amy - I had 3 albums of this on LP, one on CD.

John Patton - I had all of this on LP, and 3 of the albums on CD already. SO I basically bought it to get "That certain feeling" and "Understanding" on CD.

So this is a mixture of the fairly cost-effective and the "extremely cost-INeffective but I WANT IT!"

MG

I've probably got about 15 or 20 sets, give or take. (They're all of Blue Note material, save for my Woody Shaw and Gerald Wilson sets.)

In most cases, buying from Mosaic was the only way to get much or most of the material (at least at the time). And in most cases, the material was of greater interest to me than other puchasing options available at the time.

That, and the fact that their availability is ultimately limited -- you snooze, you loose.

Can't imagine what I would have done all these years if I hadn't gotten me my Andrew Hill set, though the material in it didn't make much sense to me at first - for at least 2 or 3 years. I had bought it primarily on the strength of the names of the sidemen, and my interest in them. (I knew "Point of Departure" was probably great, but I hadn't ever really connected with it on a personal level.)

It's not an "either/or" thing. I buy what I want, and sometimes that's Mosaic sets. And I do tend to buy things I'm interested in that I know will go out of print soon, over other choices that I think will be in print for years and years and years. Buy it now :rlol -- or cry about it later. :rcry

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'll add that there's a built-in safety net, especially when you pick up something on last chance. If it's something you know you'll like, great; but if it's something you're unsure about and simply taking a chance on, you know you can always sell it and at least get back what you paid.

Probably all of the above. There's some music there I wouldn't be able to get in any other way. I know there have been some who prefer the individual cds which I just used to poo poo but I also now see their point of view. Sometimes, it's just easier to get through an individual cd than a whole box.

Top ten reasons NOT to buy a Mosaic set:

#10. Too expensive.

#9. Whole black & white scheme too dreary.

#8. Fed up with Cuscuna collecting racecars and yachts!

#7. Two words: "Overkill".

#6. Removeable lids always get misplaced.

#5. No original cover art.

#4. Anything they can do, Lonehill can do.

#3. Too many of those pesky alternate takes!

#2. Still can't get over the whole Four Freshmen thing.

... and the top reason not to buy Mosaic sets:

#1. No OBI strips.

Top ten reasons NOT to buy a Mosaic set:

#10. Too expensive.

#9. Whole black & white scheme too dreary.

#8. Fed up with Cuscuna collecting racecars and yachts!

#7. Two words: "Overkill".

#6. Removeable lids always get misplaced.

#5. No original cover art.

#4. Anything they can do, Lonehill can do.

#3. Too many of those pesky alternate takes!

#2. Still can't get over the whole Four Freshmen thing.

... and the top reason not to buy Mosaic sets:

#1. No OBI strips.

:g:g:g