George Braith Cds now at CD BABY

Soul Stream

Are you referring to a deal where I get a cut of the orders? If so, no. If you're talking about having our own CDs on CDBaby, then yes.

The artists get most of the money from sales on CDBaby, so ORDER AWAY!

Oh I know. That's only one of the reasons I like dealing with them. The other, of course, is the OTT e-mails they send out. I just wondered if there might be a third.

MG

Soul Stream,

Thanks for the heads up. George Braith, who'd have figured you'd ever hear any more from him? I love his Blue Note stuff. From the standpoint of his sound, he's one of a handful of jazz guys who just marches to a totally different drummer. The song samples on on CD Baby are to say the least, intriguing. I couldn't resist, I went for all four.

Up over and out.

Soul Stream,

Thanks for the heads up. George Braith, who'd have figured you'd ever hear any more from him? I love his Blue Note stuff. From the standpoint of his sound, he's one of a handful of jazz guys who just marches to a totally different drummer. The song samples on on CD Baby are to say the least, intriguing. I couldn't resist, I went for all four.

Up over and out.

Thanks everyone for the support. George told me he had sold one CD so far, so we've already quadrupled sales at this point with Dave's order. :D Anyway, yeah just listen to George play the head of "Just Friends" and I think you get the idea....he's definately been doing his own thing, and for a long time now. It's really amazing to hear what George comes up with versus the sanitized jazz we're used to being force fed. He's old school when old school meant having your own sound! :party:

Man, that guitarist on the Barcelona disc has the Grant Green thing down! Those crazy Italians!!!

Yeah...and that organist is Billy Gardner reincarnate! Those guys really have Braith's BN recordings in their veins!

(and yes Lon, I am a non-recovering Braith-o-holic) :D

Man, that guitarist on the Barcelona disc has the Grant Green thing down! Those crazy Italians!!!

Yeah...and that organist is Billy Gardner reincarnate! Those guys really have Braith's BN recordings in their veins!

If I were to buy just one (for now), would the Barcelona disc be the best choice?

If I were to buy just one (for now), would the Barcelona disc be the best choice?

I might go for the Bop Bap Boom CD...it's got more of a variety of stuff on it. Some live organ stuff with Detroit guys who play with James Carter...some home recordings by George ect.... It's like a good sampler.

I might go for the Bop Bap Boom CD...it's got more of a variety of stuff on it. Some live organ stuff with Detroit guys who play with James Carter...some home recordings by George ect.... It's like a good sampler.

OK, here's my problem: I never warmed to Braith enough to keep his BN stuff (forgive me). But I can certainly enjoy a couple of guys with a Grant Green and Billy Gardner thing going, so I'm thinking that the best possible thing for me is the Barcelona disc.

How does Boptronics compare to Turn Of The Century? The latter is a wack little piece of parallel universe genius that continues to provide tickleness of the most satisfactory variety.

Jim, I think you would really, really, really dig Boptronics. Moreso than Turn Of The Century. Just my gut feeling....so paypal away! :D Yeah, Boptronics I think is his most fully realized work so far. I find Boptronics to be in line with some of the things Horace Silver was doing with the "United States Of Mind" as far as voices, harmonies and themes. Although with an admittedly more home-made vibe. No big budgets for George. But I think we can all take a cue from a guy who's imagination knows no bounds and uses what he has to realize his music. George plays all the instruments. (P.S. he's got a new one coming out soon that will be hand's down his best imho).

Edited by Soul Stream

OK, here's my problem: I never warmed to Braith enough to keep his BN stuff (forgive me). But I can certainly enjoy a couple of guys with a Grant Green and Billy Gardner thing going, so I'm thinking that the best possible thing for me is the Barcelona disc.

So you didn't keep the Grant Green and Billy Gardner sessions but you are considering one with "a couple of guys with a Grant Green and Billy Gardner thing going"? :o

So you didn't keep the Grant Green and Billy Gardner sessions but you are considering one with "a couple of guys with a Grant Green and Billy Gardner thing going"? :o

Hey Chuck, the important thing here is that I am willing to consider giving Braith another chance ... who knows, maybe it will hit me this time and then I'll go back for those original recordings.

• 2 weeks later...

They have arrived and they are brilliant.

My favourite so far is bip bop bam.......what a classic lp

It is nice to know that this guy is still cookin and doing good stuff too

I would recommend these to one and all

Andy

Glad you like them Andy! I'll pass along the good vibes to George. :D

I've listened to three of the four. I agree with Andy, "Bip Bop Bam" is the pick of the litter so far. "Barcelona Blues" has some good music on it, but it's more of a showcase for the organ trio, Fast 3, than it is for Braith. Actually, when he does play, to these ears he sounds a little weak, although being as this is a live recording, he may have just been undermiked. Not to worry though, the CD can stand on its own on the basis of just the trio itself. I'm also liking Boptronics, but if you're looking for straight ahead jazz, this isn't it. More of an R&B inflected outing with vocals. I still have not test driven "And Friends", although it looks pretty intriguing given some of the supporting cast. Rollins, Albert Dailey, Gil Coggins and Buster Williams just to name a few.

I am glad I ordered all four of these...that I can tell you unequivocally.

Up over and out.

• 3 weeks later...