Cal Tjader

DRD

To all Tjader fans, I would like to know the album titles (not just song titles) of Cal's work with Shearing. This is important info since Shearing is still recovering from head trauma and I may not be able to interview him.

Even if I do, which is possible at some point, he may not remember. It was over 50 years ago. Internet searches have netted me song titles on this forum but I need more than that. Anyone who comes up with this info will get an acknowledgement. To Mike Weil, your info on "Tjader Plays Mambo" was very helpful.

However, you made a mistake on "Squeeze Me". It is in fact the same song as "Just Squeeze Me". The song was written by Fats Waller and a collaborator. The difference is that the first version was on "Latin For Dancers" and recorded in 1954 and the second version featured Mary Stallings and Cal's group at the time, which included Freddie Schreiber. The tune's title was slightly altered. As you know, that happens fairly frequently. "Cal Tjader Plays, Mary Stallings Sings" was a straight ahead jazz album and was recorded in 1961 not 1957. One other error was regarding Cal's work with Shearing. You said an L.A. session on April 15, 1953 that featured tunes such as "Love is Just Around the Corner" and "Easy to Love" had Peraza on congas and bongos. I have listened to one of those songs and the music is straight ahead jazz. In fact, Peraza did not join Shearing until March of 1954. McFarland Press likes my proposal and wants more writing. I have additional chapters to send them but I want to make sure that I have the Shearing info. Thanks, Duncan

Edited by Tjader Biographer

To Mike Weil, your info on "Tjader Plays Mambo" was very helpful.

However, you made a mistake on "Squeeze Me". It is in fact the same song as "Just Squeeze Me". The song was written by Fats Waller and a collaborator. The difference is that the first version was on "Latin For Dancers" and recorded in 1954 and the second version featured Mary Stallings and Cal's group at the time, which included Freddie Schreiber. The tune's title was slightly altered. As you know, that happens fairly frequently. "Cal Tjader Plays, Mary Stallings Sings" was a straight ahead jazz album and was recorded in 1961 not 1957.

Duncan, welocme to the board!

I will try to help as much as I can.

I am aware that Squeeze Me was attributed to Waller/Williams in both cases on the label and liner, but what they play is in fact the Ellington tune, Just Squeeze Me - check any version if Duke's song and you will notice. I have no idea who made the mistake, but it is the Ellington tune.

That album Latin For Dancers is a stereo album assembled from two 1954 sessions collecting all tunes originally recorded in stereo.

The Stallings album was indeed recorded in 1961.

Which of my posts are you referring to? I work on a Tjader discography and make corrections almost every week - I could e-mail you the lastest version and keep you updated.

To all Tjader fans, I would like to know the album titles (not just song titles) of Cal's work with Shearing. This is important info since Shearing is still recovering from head trauma and I may not be able to interview him.

Even if I do, which is possible at some point, he may not remember. It was over 50 years ago. Internet searches have netted me song titles on this forum but I need more than that.

Sad to hear about Shearing's condition - I wish him all the best.

These are the titles of the Shearing albums with Tjader:

10" LPs (there may be more):

MGM E-252 George Shearing – An Evening With George Shearing

12" LPs:

MGM E-3175 George Shearing – A Shearing Caravan

MGM E-3264 George Shearing – When Lights Are Low

MGM E-3293 George Shearing – In Hi-Fi

One other error was regarding Cal's work with Shearing. You said an L.A. session on April 15, 1953 that featured tunes such as "Love is Just Around the Corner" and "Easy to Love" had Peraza on congas and bongos. I have listened to one of those songs and the music is straight ahead jazz. In fact, Peraza did not join Shearing until March of 1954.

I wrote that before I bought and listened to these LPs. I revised my discographical entries on these sessions since I listened to the LPs; before that, my info was based on the Bruyninckx disco, which does not list LPs, just 78s and singles, and must be wrong in some cases.

Of course you're right about this 1953 session - that Peraza played on this session was one of those Bruyninckx mistakes. I have edited my post accordingly.

In case you need a really thoroughly researched Tjader disco for the book I'd be glad to offer you mine. Except for some tracks on samplers, it should be complete.

Send me your e-mail adress, and we will work out any details that I can help about. You have made contact with Tjader's son? He posts here every now and then.

Edited by mikeweil

[Duncan, welocme to the board!

I will try to help as much as I can.

I am aware that Squeeze Me was attributed to Waller/Williams in both cases on the label and liner, but what they play is in fact the Ellington tune, Just Squeeze Me - check any version if Duke's song and you will notice. I have no idea who made the mistake, but it is the Ellington tune.

That album Latin For Dancers is a stereo album assembled from two 1954 sessions collecting all tunes originally recorded in stereo.

The Stallings album was indeed recorded in 1961.

Which of my posts are you referring to? I work on a Tjader discography and make corrections almost every week - I could e-mail you the lastest version and keep you updated.

Hi Mike, You are right about "Just Squeeze Me". I checked the CD of "Cal Tjader Plays, Mary Stallings Sings"

and the credit says (Ellington/ Gaines). Fantasy corrected the error once it was released on CD. I ought to have double checked that before posting. On "Latin For Dancers", Fantasy was just trying to cash in with another reissue whereas June Christy rerecorded every tune on "Something Cool" in stereo in 1960 with Pete Rugalo's orchestra because the 1955 original was all in mono. As great as the original was, it is nice to see how her voice matured by 1960. Back to Tjader, they tossed in "Squeeze Me", which was originally set aside for later, because for some reason "Guarachi Guaro" was recorded in mono. The post I was referring to for Shearing was on May 7, 2005. A note on the 1960 LP "Latino!". You will notice that every tune on that album was released before on various Tjader albums. At first, I thought they were different versions since Cal did that alot over the years but no. Every tune was taken from another previously issued record. For instance, "Afro Blue" is clearly taken from "Monterey Concerts", "Cuban Fantasy" from "Concert on the Campus", "A Night in Tunisia" from "A Night at the Blackhawk" and so on. I went over it thoroughly. Fantasy repackaged the material and tried to sell it as a new record when it was just a fifties greatest hits collection. They even went so far as to leave off the original recording dates so a fan couldn't trace it back. This may have fooled new fans but not seasoned ones. The CD "Latino!" also includes the "Demasiado Caliente" LP. Thanks for the Shearing info. I would like your discography. My email is duncanred@sbcglobal.net. Eddie Duran told me that he did a straight ahead LP with Cal in the 1950's that had strings on it. I wonder if that was ever released. Maybe it was a "Cal Tjader Quartet" LP? Also, could you list the tunes, recording dates and personnel for the Shearing LPs with Cal? That would be a big help. You will definitely get an acknowledgement in the book. Also, I read your Oct. 7, 2005 post. Is the Vido Musso Sextet the only 1952 release for Cal? On the Esposito singles, it is Buddy Motsinger not Munsinger. I know this because Buddy played on Cal's Harold Arlen LP. 4 Star must have goofed up. "I've Waited So Long" was from "Cal Tjader Goes Latin" Was "As I Love You" also recorded during that 1957 session? Any other obscure Tjader nuggets? I'd love to get this info as soon as you can manage because I am meeting with my agent next week to submit additional chapters to the prospective publisher. As for Cal's son, I have interviewed Rob Tjader and we talk occasionally. -Duncan

Edited by Tjader Biographer

I don't know if this will help, but the Goldmine record guide (which I have usually found to be pretty accurate along these lines) indicates that CAL TJADER QUARTET was (re?)issued in 1960 on clear red vinyl and regular black vinyl (both mono issues with catalog number 3310); and again in 1962, except on blue vinyl and black vinyl (both of these in stereo, with the number 8083). I would imagine that this could be a source of confusion. Btw, only one issue of the 1956 quartet LP is listed in this guide (#3227; mono; dark red vinyl).

Edited by Jim R

I don't know if this will help, but the Goldmine record guide (which I have usually found to be pretty accurate along these lines) indicates that CAL TJADER QUARTET was (re?)issued in 1960 on clear red vinyl and regular black vinyl (both mono issues with catalog number 3310); and again in 1962, except on blue vinyl and black vinyl (both of these in stereo, with the number 8083). I would imagine that this could be a source of confusion. Btw, only one issue of the 1956 quartet LP is listed in this guide (#3227; mono; dark red vinyl).

Hi Jim, Your info does help. I think I have figured this out. The two mono records on red and black vinyl

(3310) in 1960 were simply reissues of the 1956 red vinyl mono LP (3227). The 1962 "Quartet" LP was a stereo

reissue of the 1956 album. The CD is the 8083 stereo reissue. There was no other "Quartet" LP in 1956. That info I read elsewhere was wrong. Thanks for clearing this up. -Duncan

A note on the 1960 LP "Latino!". You will notice that every tune on that album was released before on various Tjader albums. At first, I thought they were different versions since Cal did that alot over the years but no. Every tune was taken from another previously issued record. For instance, "Afro Blue" is clearly taken from "Monterey Concerts", "Cuban Fantasy" from "Concert on the Campus", "A Night in Tunisia" from "A Night at the Blackhawk" and so on. I went over it thoroughly. Fantasy repackaged the material and tried to sell it as a new record when it was just a fifties greatest hits collection. They even went so far as to leave off the original recording dates so a fan couldn't trace it back. This may have fooled new fans but not seasoned ones. The CD "Latino!" also includes the "Demasiado Caliente" LP.

There were two different versions of Afro Blue:

one recorded live at Monterey and one recorded in the studio (the other three tracks from that 1959 sessions were released on Tjader Goes Latin). I played them back to back, the version on Latino is the live version. But you are right that all the other tracks on that LP were taken from previously released material.

I will e-mail my discography - it is in three parts, so you will get three mails.

Edited by mikeweil

Eddie Duran told me that he did a straight ahead LP with Cal in the 1950's that had strings on it. I wonder if that was ever released. Maybe it was a "Cal Tjader Quartet" LP?

There was a Tjader quartet/quintet LP with Eddie Duran and Frank Strazzeri recorded in 1974, Last Night When We Were Young, Fantasy F-9482.

In the 1950's, Duran was on San Francisco Moods, Tjader Plays Tjazz, and the LP with Stan Getz. I don't know about any other sessions - if he didn't mix it up with the 1970's session, it must have stayed unissued, which is kind of hard to believe.

No other "jazz" Tjader Quartet (vibes-piano-bass-drums) LPs known to me besides:

- Cal Tjader Quartet -: Cal Tjader (vibes) Gerald Wiggins (piano) Eugene Wright (bass) Bill Douglass (drums)

Los Angeles, California, May 1956 - Fantasy 3-227, Fantasy 3-307, Fantasy 8083 (the latter issue was new to me - thanks JimR!)

- Jazz At The Blackhawk -: Cal Tjader (vibes) Vince Guaraldi (piano) Eugene Wright (bass) Al Torre (drums)

The Blackhawk, San Francisco, California, January 20, 1957 - Fantasy 3-241, Fantasy 8096

- Cal Tjader -: Cal Tjader (vibraphone) Vince Guaraldi (piano) Gene Wright (bass) Al Torre (drums)

San Francisco, California, April 10 & 15, 1957 - Fantasy 3-253

Edited by mikeweil

Is the Vido Musso Sextet the only 1952 release for Cal?

As far as I know, yes. Have you heard this? Very rare!

On the Esposito singles, it is Buddy Motsinger not Munsinger. I know this because Buddy played on Cal's Harold Arlen LP. 4 Star must have goofed up.

Well, this is very probable - I found no trace of a Buddy Munsinger, but not much more info about Buddy Motsinger, either. As long as we cannot prove this, we should denote it as a conclusion.

"I've Waited So Long" was from "Cal Tjader Goes Latin" Was "As I Love You" also recorded during that 1957 session?

Yes it was - one of the very few titles never issued on any LP or CD, only the 45 rpm release.

Hi Jim, Your info does help. I think I have figured this out. The two mono records on red and black vinyl

(3310) in 1960 were simply reissues of the 1956 red vinyl mono LP (3227). The 1962 "Quartet" LP was a stereo

reissue of the 1956 album. The CD is the 8083 stereo reissue. There was no other "Quartet" LP in 1956. That info I read elsewhere was wrong. Thanks for clearing this up. -Duncan

Are you two sure it was Fantasy 3-310? I have that as mono issue number of West Side Story!

According to my info, 3-307 was the number of the first reissue of 3-227 with a different cover.

Eddie Duran told me that he did a straight ahead LP with Cal in the 1950's that had strings on it. I wonder if that was ever released. Maybe it was a "Cal Tjader Quartet" LP?

There was a Tjader quartet/quintet LP with Eddie Duran and Frank Strazzeri recorded in 1974, Last Night When We Were Young, Fantasy F-9482.

In the 1950's, Duran was on San Francisco Moods, Tjader Plays Tjazz, and the LP with Stan Getz. I don't know about any other sessions - if he didn't mix it up with the 1970's session, it must have stayed unissued, which is kind of hard to believe.

No other "jazz" Tjader Quartet (vibes-piano-bass-drums) LPs known to me besides:

- Cal Tjader Quartet -: Cal Tjader (vibes) Gerald Wiggins (piano) Eugene Wright (bass) Bill Douglass (drums)

Los Angeles, California, May 1956 - Fantasy 3-227, Fantasy 3-307, Fantasy 8083 (the latter issue was new to me - thanks JimR!)

- Jazz At The Blackhawk -: Cal Tjader (vibes) Vince Guaraldi (piano) Eugene Wright (bass) Al Torres (drums)

The Blackhawk, San Francisco, California, January 20, 1957 - Fantasy 3-241, Fantasy 8096

- Cal Tjader -: Cal Tjader (vibraphone) Vince Guaraldi (piano) Gene Wright (bass) Al Torres (drums)

San Francisco, California, April 10 & 15, 1957 - Fantasy 3-253

Hi Mike, Thanks for sending the discography emails. I looked at Eddie's interview again and he didn't say the "strings" album was recorded in the 50's. He didn't specify a time. My goof. It must be "Last Night When We Were Young". I haven't heard that record and as you know it isn't on CD. I am assuming it had strings on it. You could confirm that for me. You forgot to mention that Eddie played with Cal on the "Introducing Gus Mancuso" LP in 1956. It's on the CD "Gus Mancuso & Special Friends". I know it's technically not a Tjader title but Cal discovered Mancuso, got him a record deal with Fantasy and brought in his top notch musician buddies for the "Introducing Gus Mancuso" sessions. Also, Fantasy has routinely mispelled drummer Al Torre's name as Torres. They've gotten it wrong nearly everytime. The only exception is the CD of "Jazz at the Blackhawk". Like some other musicians I've interviewed for the book, I have kept in touch with Al Torre. He's a great guy and he says people constantly mispell his name. He is an Italian-American. -Duncan

A note on the 1960 LP "Latino!". You will notice that every tune on that album was released before on various Tjader albums. At first, I thought they were different versions since Cal did that alot over the years but no. Every tune was taken from another previously issued record. For instance, "Afro Blue" is clearly taken from "Monterey Concerts", "Cuban Fantasy" from "Concert on the Campus", "A Night in Tunisia" from "A Night at the Blackhawk" and so on. I went over it thoroughly. Fantasy repackaged the material and tried to sell it as a new record when it was just a fifties greatest hits collection. They even went so far as to leave off the original recording dates so a fan couldn't trace it back. This may have fooled new fans but not seasoned ones. The CD "Latino!" also includes the "Demasiado Caliente" LP.

There were two different versions of Afro Blue:

one recorded live at Monterey and one recorded in the studio (the other three tracks from that 1959 sessions were released on Tjader Goes Latin). I played them back to back, the version on Latino is the studio version. But you are right that all the other tracks on that LP were taken from previously released material.

I will e-mail my discography - it is in three parts, so you will get three mails.

Hi Mike, That's interesting about "Afro Blue" on "Latino!". You know, I initially thought it was a studio version but after I kept listening to it, I figured it must be from "Monterey Concerts". It is nearly identical. I am continually amazed at how Cal's live recordings are nearly as flawless as his studio work. He knew what he wanted and his band members were always on the same page when it came to making records. Lastly, Fantasy didn't put down the studio "Afro Blue" recording date even though it hadn't been put out yet because they were hiding all the other recording dates for the previously issued material on "Latino!". -Duncan

Are you two sure it was Fantasy 3-310? I have that as mono issue number of West Side Story!

According to my info, 3-307 was the number of the first reissue of 3-227 with a different cover.

3307 it was. My bad.

I just noticed also that one of my books lists a Savoy quartet album, although it was issued in 1954 (reissued as a 12" in 1956 though). Not sure if this was already mentioned. Anyway, fwiw...

Hi Mike, Thanks for sending the discography emails. I looked at Eddie's interview again and he didn't say the "strings" album was recorded in the 50's. He didn't specify a time. My goof. It must be "Last Night When We Were Young". I haven't heard that record and as you know it isn't on CD. I am assuming it had strings on it. You could confirm that for me.

This one was recorded like the Verve quartet with strings (Warm Wave): Quartet/Quintet live in the studio, strings overdubbed at a later date. See my discos for details - Duran is not heard on all the tracks. I can send you a CDR of the "last Night" LP if you need it.

You forgot to mention that Eddie played with Cal on the "Introducing Gus Mancuso" LP in 1956. It's on the CD "Gus Mancuso & Special Friends". I know it's technically not a Tjader title but Cal discovered Mancuso, got him a record deal with Fantasy and brought in his top notch musician buddies for the "Introducing Gus Mancuso" sessions. Also, Fantasy has routinely mispelled drummer Al Torre's name as Torres. They've gotten it wrong nearly everytime. The only exception is the CD of "Jazz at the Blackhawk". Like some other musicians I've interviewed for the book, I have kept in touch with Al Torre. He's a great guy and he says people constantly mispell his name. He is an Italian-American. -Duncan

Well, I didn't forget this but limited my listing to Fantasy sessions with the classic MJQ lineup. I will correct Torre's name in my disco.

Hey, it's great you do this - I certainly want to read this, no matter if it will be published or not. I volunteer to proofread as well - this will keep the historical(discographical accuracy on the highest level. Fantastic that you are interviewing all these people - did you have a chance to talk to Mongo before he died?

I keep my fingers crossed for you - I must read this! :excited:

Well, I didn't forget this but limited my listing to Fantasy sessions with the classic MJQ lineup. I will correct Torre's name in my disco.

Hey, it's great you do this - I certainly want to read this, no matter if it will be published or not. I volunteer to proofread as well - this will keep the historical(discographical accuracy on the highest level. Fantastic that you are interviewing all these people - did you have a chance to talk to Mongo before he died?

I keep my fingers crossed for you - I must read this! :excited:

Did you talk to Dave Brubeck? I guess so ...... Oh how I envy you for meeting all these people!

BTW - are Manny and Carlos Duran and Eddie Duran related?

To answer your first question, yes, I interviewed Dave Brubeck. To the second question, yes, they are brothers. They all grew up in San Francisco. Carlos died in 1998 and of course, Manny last year. Eddie is eighty

years old and will have a birthday soon. Eddie is a very small man as was Manny. Carlos was a little taller. They are or were of Mexican descent, primarily Indian. Dark skinned, possibly Mayan or Aztec. Other people I interviewed: Bayardo "Benny" Velarde, John Heard, Pete Escovedo, Hank Jones, Howard Rumsey ( jazz bassist and former manager of The Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach, CA and Concerts by the Sea in Redondo Beach, CA), Mary Stallings, Dean Reilly, Bob Murphy (Merv's former producer, he grew up with Cal) and a short phone interview with Lalo Schifrin. I also interviewed Rob, Liz (daughter) and Rick (brother) and jazz critics/ former disc jockeys Herb Wong and Phil Elwood. They were friends of Cal. I was amazed that 98% of them were very friendly and down to earth. Peraza is retired and a recluse. Even Liz couldn't get him to call back. Can't figure it because Cal did so much for his career. Palmieri initially responded by email and then didn't return my calls. Allen Smith, who was almost a life long friend of Cal, didn't return my calls. About 40% were in person interviews and 60% by phone. I guess the other stuff will have to wait until my next post. -Duncan

Great! Did you think of Richrad Wyands, who recorded two sessions with Cal in 1954?

Is Jack Weeks still around?

Joao Donato should have something to say, too.

But I suppose you have it all covered - looks very promising ......

Unfortunately, Joao Donato and Jack Weeks are dead. As far as Richard Wyands, I don't know if he is still around or not. I assume that he lives on the east coast and I am in California. However, I have interviewed people on the east coast by phone. Maybe Hank Jones or Michael Wolff might know if he is still alive. I did also interview jazz producer Ozzie Cadena and Cal's last booking agent Jim Cassell. Anita O'Day's manager wouldn't return my calls. Herb Wong told me that at 86 she still drinks too much and is quite difficult to deal with.

• 10 years later...

Does anyone here have the second Playboy After Dark collection that includes Cal Tjader's performance on Playboy's Penthouse, circa 1959 0r 1960? 

I have the first volume with Cy Coleman, Lenny Bruce, Ella, etc.  The second volume seemed to go out of print quickly.  If I had known Cal Tjader was on it, I would have hopped on it immediately.

Can anyone tell me which and how many songs he does, who was in the band, if he talks to Hef between songs?