**Lee Morgan**

Templejazz

Please share your thoughts about Lee Morgan the composer.

Some of my favorite tunes were penned by Mogie including Ceora, Yama from Blakey's A Night in Tunisia, and Haeschen, a very underrated ballad on the Taru album.

What are some of your favorites?

Edited by Templejazz

Templejazz,

Despite what the LP and CD say, 'Haeschen' is a Duke Pearson composition. If you look at Mike Fitzgerald's Pearson discography, you will see that he recorded this tune (as 'Haschen') on an Atlantic session that was lost. Duke copyrighted it, Lee did not.

'Ceora' is partly inspired by the standard 'If Someone Had Told Me', which appears on The Magnificent Thad Jones, Vol. 2 (the pigeon cover).

Bertrand.

According to AMG, Ceora is on the following:

Carter, Benny-  Elegy in Blue [94]

Coe, Jimmy-  Say What [98]

Cunninghams-  Strings 'N Swing: I Remember Bird [88]

Cutler, Jim-  JCQ [02]

Dean, James L.-  Ceora [92]

DeFrancesco, Joey-  Ballads and Blues [02]

Eubanks, Robin-  Wake Up Call [97]

Fedchock, John-  On the Edge [98]

Flippen, Jay-  Ask Me Now [99]

Friesen, David-  Name of a Woman [02]

Gates, Bruce-  Forced Air Heat [94]

Green, Al-  Mister Lucky [02]

Grossman, Steve-    Small Hotel [93]

Henderson, Eddie-  New York City After Hours [01]

Henderson, Eddie-  Think on Me [94]

Henderson, Eddie-  Tribute to Lee Morgan [94]

Hill, Andrew-  Faces of Hope [80]

Hoffmann, Hajo-    Touch of Jazz Violins [96]

Hofmann, Holly-  Take Note [90]

Hunt, Oliver-  Ceora [01]

Jazzmobile All Star-  Jazzmobile All Stars [89]

Lavoe, Hector-  El Sabio [92]

Mabern, Harold-  Philadelphia Bound [91]

Marr, Hank-    Invitation [00]

Melia, Hal-  Waduyathink [93]

Meurkens, Hendrik-  In a Sentimental Mood [99]

Morgan, Frank-    Lament [86]

Morgan, Lee-  Best of Lee Morgan [57]

Morgan, Lee-  Cornbread [65]

Morgan, Lee-    Memorial Album [57]

Morgan, Lee-  Morgan Memorial [57]

Nueva Manteca-  Varadero Blues [91]

Person, Houston-  Party [89]

Roditi, Claudio-    Free Wheelin': the Music of Lee Morgan [94]

Shades of Jade-  From Africa to New York, Vol. 6 [97]

Simon, John-  Legacy [96]

Sklair, Sam-  Virgo [92]

Starr, Ron-  Strawberry Jam [96]

Watson, Bobby-  Round Trip [85]

Wayne, Wendell-  Dear Lord [99]  

Lee Morgan attended Mastbaum Vocational-Technical High School in Philadelphia. Their high school music program was the equivalent of a college program. He had thorough training in harmony, counterpoint, and four-part writing. Lee also had absolute pitch. He was an extremely well-prepared musician. Also, immediately after that, he got to hang around with one of the greatest jazz theorists and composer-arrangers, Dizzy Gillespie.

Mike

Guest ariceffron

what. can you talk more about what wayne was showing to lee about composing, if you know more about it. is there any way you can elaborate on that.

and yeah, taru. bennie maupin. bennie maupin is amazing. ive even witnessed with my own eyes bennie maupin doing some amazing shit, in many different contexts. his own band was absoutly out of control. some of the songs were fusion, and others were more kind of out pieces. Then ive seen him play at Sal Marquez's b-day show, with tootie heath also, and he was playing like he was on TARU. I swear to you it got out of control, and for this one solo it got COMPLETELY out of control. I was an idiot not to record it. The baked pottato records their shows though do any of you know them. anyways, ive also seen maupin with HEADHUNTERS, no not Headhunters Fleetwood-Mac style like there tourin like now (Christine and Herbie where r u) but the OG headhunters. Herbie, Bennie, and crew. Do any of you remember this? Circa 1997 or 8 maybe

ANNNNYYYWAYYYS my favorite lee morgan composition? Its changed over the years. i dont know. i like them all for different reasons. im sorry

This information is in the liner notes to LEE MORGAN - Unforgettable Lee! on Fresh Sounds Records.

Another interesting quote from Wayne is in the liner from Blakey & The Jazz Messengers' AFRICAINE; "Lee's approach to writing was fundamental. He was much more at home playing than writing, but he would never ask for help. That's one thing I dug about Lee - he would struggle through on his own. And then his innocence, his natural ability to communicate, really came through on 'Sidewinder.' He knew that if he was too deliberate, that if he was too tutored as a writer, that he would sound contrived. So he kept his shortcomings and learned to communicate in spite of them. Like Miles, he had the sound to overcome anything."

According to AMG, Ceora is on the following: Hill, Andrew - "Faces of Hope" [1980]

Wow, that's quite the list.  The biggest surprise for me is the Andrew Hill disc.  I wonder what that version sounds like...  <_<

It's one of Hill's solo-piano dates. I haven't listened to that particular cut in quite a while, but as I recall, you'd never guess in a million years that it was a Lee Morgan tune. I'll have to dig it out (and the original), and see if I even hear much similarity at all. Surely there must be some, but Hill does things with the tune that nearly make it his own.

Whichever name, it's a great tune!

Agreed!

I think the Morgan album which as a whole features the most interesting compositions is 'Search for the New Land'. Much variation within the set, and not a trace of the formulaic album concepts of the next half of that decade.

Daniel, Brownie,

You guys are absolutely right. The melody best known as 'Soft Touch' was recorded *three* times by Lee.

'A Waltz For Fran' from Take Twelve (01/24/62)

'Slumber' from McLean's Consequence (12/03/65)

'Soft Touch' from The Procrastinator (07/14/67)

If that were not enough, he copyrighted all three of these titles, and copyrighted this song *again* as 'Too Much Dues' on 02/08/67!

Bertrand.

• 4 months later...