Something to look forward to

Dave James

:bad:

:bad: :bad: :bad:

...coming soon to a dentist office near you...

(with apologies to Dmitry ;))

Tell me about it!

Knowning that I liked to play jazz at the office, one of my patients gave me a Jim Brickman cd, aptly titled No Words [awful piano music]. Another gave me a Chris Botti cd and a Kenny G cd. Which totally blows, since I have to keep these cds now, because they expect me to play them whenever they come to get their teeth fixed. :crazy: It's like your aunt giving you an ugly painting that she expects you to put on the most prominent wall space in your house, so that she can lmarvel at it every time she comes over.

• 3 weeks later...

The craftsmanship of the melodies and lyrics is to be admired, no doubt, but somebody tell me why/how "Lady Be Good", to pick one at random, should be viewed as anything other than an artifact of a day and time long since passed.

Because if you listen to it, followed immediately by "I Like Big Butts And I Cannot Lie," the decline and fall of pop music, and civilization, is undeniable.

Maybe, but if I listened to "Lady Be Good" followed immediately by some of Stevie Wonder's, Paul Simon's, Burt Bachrach's, Monday Michiru's, Joni Mitchell's, Brian Wilson's, et.als. better/best songs, I might come to the conclusion that the art/craft of popular songwriting has actually evolved significantly and positively.

Can't say that I'd say the same about society in general though.

No mention of Bob Dylan? Shame on you. As far as society goes, the crime rates have declined. Who can really blame Bolton? There's a market for this stuff, always has been. Pat Boone. Music with an edge has to be domesticated for mass consumption.