WEIRD Dreams?? Recurring or one of a kind??

The one recurring "jazz" dream I've had is (no kidding) playing in the Count Basie Band. I'm not sure how often it's happened, but several times. One time I was playing 'bone in the section (and actually making the parts) with Al Grey sitting beside me. Just last night I dreamt I was playing trumpet with the band on the '77 Montreux video, sitting in lead trumpeter's Lyn Biviano's chair. However, I was just faking the parts (but the band sounded good anyway). Overall, these are good dreams.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also have had the "unprepared for final exam so i'm going to fail" dream at different times in my life. funnily enough, i've never had it when i was near the end of a semester or even in school for that matter. i've come to learn that it's a fairly common theme in many people's dreams and may reflect feelings of inadequacy in some part of our present life. take the time to examine what's going on in your life right now and try to identify something you think you might not be able to face, to control, or to deal with. then, challenge those fears (they're usually irrational anyway) and come up with a few things you can do to increase your sense of confidence and competency. the dreams will most likely go away.

on a lighter note, my dentist once told me about a recurring dream he had. he was on stage performing with the beatles and couldn't help but notice that his microphone was substantially smaller than those of the other band members. when asked what it could mean, i replied: "you know, i'm not much of a freudian, but in your case i'll make an exception." his assistant laughed at my comment, knowing from her psychology class that when you think of freud, think penis. of course, the man's dream was just another version of the same theme. the unconscious mind tries to deal with fears of inadequacy, fears that we typically don't allow ourselves to tackle in our waking awareness.

session's over. time for the shrink to get a haircut.

Edited by jazzshrink

For several years I had a recurring dream of finding a cardboard box full of albums, still in their shrink wrap, on the sidewalk in front of Discount Records on State Street in Madison, Wisconsin. (That is a store I shopped at a lot for about six years). In the dream it is always very late at night, so that there are no people around.

In my dream I am always very anxious about what to do. On one hand, I would love to have the albums. They always include some very old looking James Brown albums with cover art which I have never seen in real life--on the covers of these dream albums, the artwork is just James' face printed in all red ink or all blue ink, kind of a promotional poster style of artwork.

On the other hand, I always get very afraid in the dream that I will get caught if I take the box of albums, and I start to think of the terrible consequences for my life if I get arrested for stealing them. About this time I wake up, drenched in sweat.

I have not had this dream in several years, but it was a regular for quite a while.

That would be 658 State St. I still remember that for some reason.

I found out just in the past few years that Chuck Nessa was the manager of that store in the years immediately before I started college in Madison. His great taste was still in evidence when I got there, in the jazz inventory and the knowledgeable staff he had trained.

A couple of nights ago, I dreamt I was swimming in the ocean, while talking to my best friend on a cell phone(Naturally!) I then see the right hand quadrant of the sky storm clouds are brewing. The other half of the sky is perfectly clear. I tell my friend I need to get off the phone(even in dreams, I am full of common sense, easier to swim with two arms in the water) then I notice I am much further out than I first thought, couple hundred feet from shore....Then I wake up. I wonder if I made it?

Edited by BERIGAN

Two: database dreams. For years I spent many many working hours within a database that was the work order system for our division and kept being expanded into the sort of "omniscient god" of our agency's mission and accounting. I seemed to be one of the one-eyed men among the blind in the agency and kept getting roped deeper and deeper into modifying and evaluating the database functions and data, until finally the agency hired two persons who had spent years working for the database's creator company to take on those roles. I would see screen after screen of this database stream along and intertwine in my dreams. It seemed that domestic activities and my details of my collecting life would be represented in dataviews and reports. It was the closest I've come to a nightmare in a long time outside of what my wife has related to me of some of her dreams.

I used to have dreams like that, when I was putting in the Department's new finance system. I think computers are bad for you.

MG

In 1976 I had a summer job in a papermill, inspecting thousands of logs an hour that came by fast on a conveyor belt. If any logs had bark stuck to them, I had to swing a pickaxe at them, pull them off and later chop the bark off.

I had dreams all summer about logs going by in front of me endlessly. The dreams lasted for several months after the job was over, then I never had one again.

In 1976 I had a summer job in a papermill, inspecting thousands of logs an hour that came by fast on a conveyor belt. If any logs had bark stuck to them, I had to swing a pickaxe at them, pull them off and later chop the bark off.

I had dreams all summer about logs going by in front of me endlessly. The dreams lasted for several months after the job was over, then I never had one again.

For all I remember, I may have posted about this dream when this thread was new, but this reminds me of my recurring dream:

when I started out in radio I had an insane fear of screwing up and being left with dead air. Maybe that was because I did screw up more than a few times ... anyway, while I worked in radio I had a fairly regular dream wherein I would be on the air and things would be going wrong left and right. I'd usually wake up to find myself desperately manipulating the clock radio in an ill-fated effort to make the next CD cue up and play.

Actually, come to think of it, its been over ten years but I had that dream again recently. Only this time there were no CDs in the control room, only carts (radio people know what I am talking about). And all the carts were unlabelled and none of them seemed to fit the format I was supposed to be spinning.

• 10 years later...

Dream last night:

I'm walking inside my own house. On the stereo, George Benson's "Turn Your Love Around" is playing — a song I'm not particularly fond of, but used to hear a lot when my brother played it (record has an all-white cover; can't remember the album title) in the early 80's on the family's old Sony stereo system. The thing is, in the dream, I can't find the stereo. I walk from room to room. The stereo keeps playing. I want to turn the song off — either pick up the needle or press Stop (just in case it's digital). Walk to the dining room. Nope. Walk to the bathroom. Nope. Then I realize, while standing in the bathroom, it's not Benson who's singing. It's definitely the right song, but there's a different vocalist. Who the heck is it? They're having problems with articulation. It's also kind of funny, but I'm not sure if I should be laughing. No, I want to laugh. It is funny. Now it's supposed to be funny — the vocalist is even in on it. Anybody listening would be laughing. Why am I not laughing yet? I look in the mirror — oh, I am laughing. Oh shit, I might start crying. No, I'm laughing. That voice! Who is it??? Then I realize:

It's Scooby Doo.

Singing "Turn Your Love Around."

The exam for the class you never went to dream is fairly common.  I still get that one once in a while.

I also get the radio/dead air dream occasionally. 

The one that I get most often involves driving my car, needing to brake to avoid a collision, and finding that I'm sitting in the back of the car (from which the brakes are obviously, not easily accessible).  Not comforting.   I assume it has something to do with control issues. 

There's another one that I have trouble remembering later but, when I'm in it, I think "it's that same dream again!"