bob florence

alocispepraluger102

Bob Florence is still very much alive!

He turned 80 yesterday. His birthday party must have been something!

Not 80 , but rather , 74 ; Bob was born in Los Angeles in 1932 .

I only have his Carlton side and would like to hear the Liberty session from the mid-Sixties . Lazaro's show does not stream live on the web , is that correct ?

Bob Florence is still very much alive!

He turned 80 yesterday. His birthday party must have been something!

Not 80 , but rather , 74 ; Bob was born in Los Angeles in 1932 .

I only have his Carlton side and would like to hear the Liberty session from the mid-Sixties . Lazaro's show does not stream live on the web , is that correct ?

here is the blue lake stream for windows. there will be 2 links to players. use the second player(the bottom one) for a solid stream.

http://bluelake.ncats.net/

• 1 year later...

Now listening to With All the Bells and Whistles by The Bob Florence Limited Edition, recorded for MAMA in 1995.

Superbly produced, recorded and arranged and deserving of far wider attention.

Excellent arranger, composer, band leader, and a fine pianist too. He used to check in at rec.music.bluenote now and then when I frequented that ng. He may check this one too. I like "With All the Bells and Whistles," "Earth," and "Funupsmanship," all on MAMA.

Greg M.

• 11 years later...
On 27.4.2008 at 10:48 AM, BillF said:

I have all three, plus Serendipity 18. Of the ones I've heard, I think those three are the best.

Well I'm a newbie  her and look for interesting topics. The >Bob Florence Limited Edition is one of them Another one is Stan Getz.

Probably it is not well known that Bob had a collaboration with a german Radio Big Band (= the HR Big Band ) and the studio productions were broadcasted and I did record these among others for my own collection. Was also in touch via mail with Bob ad tried to get him a gig at the german Radio station WDR. Bud this did not succed because they were heavy involved with Bill Holman at that time  as temporary leader of the WDR Big Band playing & rehearshin  Bill's own projects.

14 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Well I'm a newbie  her and look for interesting topics. The >Bob Florence Limited Edition is one of them Another one is Stan Getz.

Probably it is not well known that Bob had a collaboration with a german Radio Big Band (= the HR Big Band ) and the studio productions were broadcasted and I did record these among others for my own collection. Was also in touch via mail with Bob ad tried to get him a gig at the german Radio station WDR. Bud this did not succed because they were heavy involved with Bill Holman at that time  as temporary leader of the WDR Big Band playing & rehearshin  Bill's own projects.

Did you sense any "protection of turf" by Holman in this, or was it just more like we can only do one at a time and right now it's Holman?

Unrelated to that, does anybody have a list of all the projects that Florence did for Pacific Jazz/World Pacific? Seems like he pops up on more of those things than I initially noticed, very often in the more "commercial" records, but hell, a gig's a gig, right?

A friend of mine, himself a talented composer-arranger, thinks of Florence's writing as quintessentially "white." I think I know what he means, but my attitude is pretty much "so what?"/"different strokes." Also, while some might find Florence's writing a bit bland at times, it's not at all simple-minded IMO. I particularly like the way he writes for his trumpet sections (and he always has a section of topnotch executants) as though (or so it seems to me) they were playing saxophones. When I'm following one of Florence's fairly elaborate semi-soloistic brass or reeds ensemble passages, I'm never bored.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Did you sense any "protection of turf" by Holman in this, or was it just more like we can only do one at a time and right now it's Holman?

Unrelated to that, does anybody have a list of all the projects that Florence did for Pacific Jazz/World Pacific? Seems like he pops up on more of those things than I initially noticed, very often in the more "commercial" records, but hell, a gig's a gig, right?

Let me know if you want a  list of Bob's official recordings. Have them all and more

Can also supply a list of my Holman's

;-]]

Edited by jazzcorner

7 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

I would be interested.

OK here is the list

CD    Florence,Bob    Bongos/Rees/Brass    1958    Essential Media Group    1001
CD    Florence,Bob    Bob Florence Trio    1958    Fresh Sound    303
     Florence,Bob    Name Band 1959    1959    Carlton(FS)    12/115
     Florence,Bob    Bold,Swinging Bigband Ideas    1964    Liberty(FS)    7380
     Florence,Bob    Here And Now    1964    Liberty(FSR)    3380
     Florence,Bob    The Bob Florence Bigband plays "Pet Project"    1968    World Pacific (Lib)    21860
CD    Florence,Bob    "Live" at Concerts by the Sea (CD)    1979    Trend    523
     Florence,Bob    "Live" at Concerts by the Sea (LP)    1979    Trend dig    523
CD    Florence,Bob    Westlake    1981    Discovery    832
     Florence,Bob    Westlake - The Bob Florence Bigband (LP)   1981    Discovery    832
     Florence,Bob    Soaring The Bob Florence Limited Edition    1983    Bosco(dig)    3
     Florence,Bob    Magic Time" The Limited Edition"    1983    Trend dig    536
CD    Florence,Bob    Trash Can City    1986    Trend    545
CD    Florence,Bob    ...& Limited Edition "State of the Art"    1989    C5 Records    533
CD    Florence,Bob    "Treasure Chest"    1990    USA Music Group    680
CD    Florence,Bob    Funupmanship    1993    MAMA Foundation    1006
CD    Florence,Bob    With All The Bells And Whistles    1995    MAMA Foundation    1011
CD    Florence,Bob    The Bob Florence Limited Edition "Earth"    1997    Mama Foundation    1016
CD    Florence,Bob    Serendipity 18 Bob Florence Limited Edition    1998    MAMA Foundation    1025
CD    Florence,Bob    Whatever bubbles up    2003    Summit Records    360
CD    Florence,Bob    Eternal Licks & Grooves -The BF Limited Edition    2006    MAMA    1030
CD    Florence,Bob    Legendary - The Bob Florence Limited Edition    2009    MAMA Records    1037

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Same, if it includes dates where he was not the leader but "just" the arranger.

That is hard to accomplish because  I do not have listed him as arranger.

Edited by jazzcorner

23 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

OK here is the list

CD    Florence,Bob    Bongos/Rees/Brass    1958    Essential Media Group    1001
CD    Florence,Bob    Bob Florence Trio    1958    Fresh Sound    303
     Florence,Bob    Name Band 1959    1959    Carlton(FS)    12/115
     Florence,Bob    Bold,Swinging Bigband Ideas    1964    Liberty(FS)    7380
     Florence,Bob    Here And Now    1964    Liberty(FSR)    3380
     Florence,Bob    The Bob Florence Bigband plays "Pet Project"    1968    World Pacific (Lib)    21860
CD    Florence,Bob    "Live" at Concerts by the Sea (CD)    1979    Trend    523
     Florence,Bob    "Live" at Concerts by the Sea (LP)    1979    Trend dig    523
CD    Florence,Bob    Westlake    1981    Discovery    832
     Florence,Bob    Westlake - The Bob Florence Bigband (LP)   1981    Discovery    832
     Florence,Bob    Soaring The Bob Florence Limited Edition    1983    Bosco(dig)    3
     Florence,Bob    Magic Time" The Limited Edition"    1983    Trend dig    536
CD    Florence,Bob    Trash Can City    1986    Trend    545
CD    Florence,Bob    ...& Limited Edition "State of the Art"    1989    C5 Records    533
CD    Florence,Bob    "Treasure Chest"    1990    USA Music Group    680
CD    Florence,Bob    Funupmanship    1993    MAMA Foundation    1006
CD    Florence,Bob    With All The Bells And Whistles    1995    MAMA Foundation    1011
CD    Florence,Bob    The Bob Florence Limited Edition "Earth"    1997    Mama Foundation    1016
CD    Florence,Bob    Serendipity 18 Bob Florence Limited Edition    1998    MAMA Foundation    1025
CD    Florence,Bob    Whatever bubbles up    2003    Summit Records    360
CD    Florence,Bob    Eternal Licks & Grooves -The BF Limited Edition    2006    MAMA    1030
CD    Florence,Bob    Legendary - The Bob Florence Limited Edition    2009    MAMA Records    1037

👍!