Ellington 1936-1940 Variety/Vocalion/OKeh Small Group Sessions

Bump.

Anybody? I know this is a weird request. I'm curious more than anything. Fingerprints on the disc when it's brand new and apparently factory sealed is one thing, but the fingerprints are also, like, 'hard' (can't think of a better way of putting it right now. They are immovable, don't even smudge slightly). I'm obviously not an expert on CD manufacture, but the only possibilities i can think of are that someone touched the disc and had some sort of adhesive on their fingers, or is it possible that someone touched the CD equivalent of the stamper or mold and this left an impression on all the copies of disc 2 made that day? Or, can normal finger grease eventually fossilize if left on a disc for a long enough period? I really don't know. Anyway, i don't have an angle with this, not going anywhere further with it,  i'm just genuinely curious and if anyone else has fingerprints on disc 2 (or can shed light on the manufacturing process and whether fingerprints at any point would be possible) it might help me to make sense of it. Cheers.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for checking HutchFan. I actually feel a bit foolish for having brought it up. In the end i just couldn't help myself, i had to ask. Yeah i've always had great service from Mosaic, they've replaced a disc for me with no hassles when i accidentally snapped it (i still have post traumatic stress disorder from that moment :) ). In this case i don't think it's worth bothering them: the fingerprints are on the label side and the disc plays fine. The fingerprints being permanent as they are... they're kind of neat and tidy, not like if someone had smeared their greasy mitts all over the discs or anything and i don't think they'll affect the discs in the long term. I'd rather save Mosaic's goodwill for if or when i really need it. I'll survive. :D 

The music on this set is amazing. I don't have an exhaustive Ellington collection (70 odd discs is a fraction of what has been released) but the music on this set is among my favourite of his. Absolutely essential for any Ellington fan i would say.

Thanks for checking HutchFan. I actually feel a bit foolish for having brought it up. In the end i just couldn't help myself, i had to ask. Yeah i've always had great service from Mosaic, they've replaced a disc for me with no hassles when i accidentally snapped it (i still have post traumatic stress disorder from that moment :) ). In this case i don't think it's worth bothering them: the fingerprints are on the label side and the disc plays fine. The fingerprints being permanent as they are... they're kind of neat and tidy, not like if someone had smeared their greasy mitts all over the discs or anything and i don't think they'll affect the discs in the long term. I'd rather save Mosaic's goodwill for if or when i really need it. I'll survive. :D 

The music on this set is amazing. I don't have an exhaustive Ellington collection (70 odd discs is a fraction of what has been released) but the music on this set is among my favourite of his. Absolutely essential for any Ellington fan i would say.

I agree 100%!!! It's my all-time favorite Mosaic. :)

Cheers guys.

no fingerprints on any of the discs in my set - amazingly I snapped that very disc (#2) when I first received the set - just trying to get it out (almost fainted)

Had to get a replacement from Mosaic

Ha ha, yeah i'll never forget when it happened to me. Was the 1932-1940 Brunswick etc set. You've paid, you've waited excitedly, it's finally arrived, it's in your hands, and then in the blink of an eye you've snapped a disc trying to get it out and that could not possibly be more of a buzz kill. You hold the disc in your hand, thoughts racing. "Maybe it'll still play!" you think, insanely. Nope, it's snapped. You've got a snapped disc in your hand. It's over. "Yeah i've got the treasured Mosaic Ellington set, minus that one disc that i snapped. Yeah fantastic, fantastic music, although there's one disc that i never got to hear because i snapped it." Obviously you compose yourself and with bated breath send an email off to Mosaic, but for a while there it's pretty dark.