Ellington 1936-1940 Variety/Vocalion/OKeh Small Group Sessions

I just promised my S.O. last night that I would try to stop mainlining jazz CD's. Now Mosaic goes and does this to me. Put the Ellington together with the gotta have Dizzy Mo that's out next month, and I can see there's a hard rain gonna fall...mostly on my head. I think I may have to look into a P.O. Box.

Up over and out.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just promised my S.O. last night that I would try to stop mainlining jazz CD's. Now Mosaic goes and does this to me. Put the Ellington together with the gotta have Dizzy Mo that's out next month, and I can see there's a hard rain gonna fall...mostly on my head. I think I may have to look into a P.O. Box.

Up over and out.

Just have them sent to me--I'll take real good care of 'em.

Up over and out.

Tell your S.O. you want Dizzy for Father's day (even if you're not, you're celebrating the possibility) and Duke as a pre Christmans or a Thanksgiving present :excited:

• 3 months later...

I completely understand... I'm so far backed up in my listening I haven't even cracked open the Jazz Crusaders box.... :bad::bad:

Thanks, tm--should've called them myself. Well, it's not like I don't have anything else to listen to! (Just got the Peggy Lee SINGLES box from a BMG sale--and, oh, a few other things... :w )

And in the meantime, you could always just listen to these:

B0000027GJ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB00000286K.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:rolleyes:

Mine are headed to the local trading block, and I'm holding out for revisiting these sessions till the new set comes out. Wasn't there a scheduled Volume 3 in that series that never came out? I ended up getting most of the later sessions anyway through the Chronological Classics.

And in the meantime, you could always just listen to these:

B0000027GJ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB00000286K.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:rolleyes:

Mine are headed to the local trading block, and I'm holding out for revisiting these sessions till the new set comes out. Wasn't there a scheduled Volume 3 in that series that never came out? I ended up getting most of the later sessions anyway through the Chronological Classics.

Well make sure you copy those 2 Rex Stewart cuts that aren't on the Mosaic set. (Correctly so since I think they're from before Stewart joined EKE.)

I've purposely not been listening to Ellington in preparation and anticipation of this set. I even went a little crazy and sold all the discs I owned that contained this material. Now it will be (um, kind of) like owning this stuff for the first time!

I think I'll even purchase a pound of Ethiopian coffee beans for the occasion of the set arriving. Then, when I open the box set, the first scent it will experience (because of course Mosaics are living, animate things) is freshly brewed coffee.

:crazy:

Edited by Late

• 8 years later...

Yeah! In my excitement though i forgot that this is supposed to be getting put aside as my Christmas present from my wife when it arrives... seemed like a good idea at the time when it was still on backorder for the foreseeable future, but now that it's on it's way i want it now now now! :crazy:

Seems like I might get me a copy for Christmas ... otoh, the Hamp and Herman sets are still calling out loud ....

I was this close to pulling the trigger on the Hamp set and adding it to this order but got cold feet... i may live to regret it but i don't regret what the money got spent on instead (filling other gaps in my Ellington collection).

Having recently updated my run of Ellingtonia from that period by grabbing several of those CBS VINYL twofers first issued in the 70s (and now having more or less the entire run of that album series), how much is there on that set discussed here that was not on those twofers (NOT counting alternates of which there already are quie a few on those twofers anyway)?

Seems like I might get me a copy for Christmas ... otoh, the Hamp and Herman sets are still calling out loud ....

I was this close to pulling the trigger on the Hamp set and adding it to this order but got cold feet... i may live to regret it but i don't regret what the money got spent on instead (filling other gaps in my Ellington collection).

If it had to one or the other, you made a good choice.

• 8 months later...

Hey, just wondering if anyone else that has this set could do me a favour. Does anyone one else have fingerprints around the outer edge of the label side (not the playing surface) of disc 2 of this set? I noticed them when the set first arrived, and it kind of bugged me, but obviously not enough to bother contacting Mosaic about it. I decided to leave as is rather than potentially make a mess of the disc trying to clean them off. Listening to the set again today, i decided to try and carefully wipe off the fingerprints but it appears that they are permanent. Weird. Discs arrived sealed, brand new direct from Mosaic. My booklet is numbered 3211 however it's slightly scuffed and yellowed and i suspect it was an older booklet that they had lying around when they assembled the set that they sent me, as the outer box appears new and i got mine around the time the set was coming off backorder. Anyway, the fingerprint thing is weird, i wonder if it's possible for something like that to occur in manufacturing. Anyway, discs play fine and are otherwise pristine, i love the music, Mosaic are awesome, not trying to start World War 3, i know my place, first world problems, won't somebody think of the children, i'm a petty petty man, back in my day we were the greatest generation and we really knew how to appreciate music and not worry about fingerprints and we had our shirts tucked in and our socks pulled up to our knees when on stage... buuuuuuut i'm still just curious as to whether anyone else had fingerprints on their disc. Cheers.