Followers 0
GA Russell

AOTW - Monk with Trane - Complete 1957 Riversides

83 posts in this topic

Nobody made Monk swing.

...and nobody made Monk not swing.

Edited by John L

Word to the MotherPower.

I first had "Monk's Music" on a mono LP and thought that was the only way it came out. Years later I picked up the CD so I could listen at work. I had the headphones on and was surprised it was stereo; but almost right away, I noticed the lack of bass.

Can anyone tell me more about these K2 releases? How many are there, do they typically use the mono masters? How do you quickly identify them?

All I can tell you about that is that if you're in a brick-and-mortar, they come in red slipcases that have a smaller image of the original cover inside the red border.

That, and that in these parts it seems that they're more or less universally acclaimed.

They're going to say K2 somewhere on the back in the credit sections.

The Japanese versions will always say K2 on the obi.

I find that some of the regular OJC versions with recent remastering (especially by RVG or Kirk Felton) will best them to my ears on my system, but that's all a personal, subjective thing). They'll not disappoint I wager.

K2 is a JVC process, and not just OJC licensed titles or applied the process. Impulse, and other labels also had the K2 process applied to Japanese releases. (I have some great Coltrane K2 reissues).

I have the Monk/Coltrane OJC issue ( French Carrerre edition if you must know) , does the 2CD set discussed here improve on the slightly murky sound of the Monk /Coltrane quartet tracks ( which AFAIK only exist in mono). I'm delighted with the Monk's Music K2 disc but I don't have the quartet sides in a more recent mastering.

R-9683541-1484706861-8909.jpeg.jpg

After finally getting a mono K2 I am a convert. This almost sounds like a new album.

49 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

After finally getting a mono K2 I am a convert.

And mind it was a 90s thing and they're 20 bit. But still wonderful sounding. I think K2s sound better than some 24 bit reissues.