new(to me) flutist-robert dick

alocispepraluger102

He's an interesting player who has performed in a lot of avant-garde contexts and plays a wide gamut of flutes.

The only disc I have of his as a leader is Worlds of If on Leo, which may in fact be OOP. It's mostly solo, with some overdubbed pieces and a duet with Ned Rothenberg. I recommend it, particularly the rumbling bass flute he plays on the opening track.

He's an interesting player who has performed in a lot of avant-garde contexts and plays a wide gamut of flutes.

The only disc I have of his as a leader is Worlds of If on Leo, which may in fact be OOP. It's mostly solo, with some overdubbed pieces and a duet with Ned Rothenberg. I recommend it, particularly the rumbling bass flute he plays on the opening track.

from hearing this gamelin piece, i was very much surprised to learn that he is not japanese.

Seems like I had a disc of his made up mostly of Hendrix tunes. :tup as I recall.

wishin i could find this one:

Jazz Standards on Mars (ENJA Records 9327-2) -- music by Coltrane, Dolphy, Hendrix, Shorter, Coleman and Dick played by Robert Dick with the Soldier String Quartet

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Seems like I had a disc of his made up mostly of Hendrix tunes. :tup as I recall.

Jazz Standards on Mars (ENJA Records 9327-2) -- music by Coltrane, Dolphy, Hendrix, Shorter, Coleman and Dick played by Robert Dick with the Soldier String Quartet

http://www.deepdiscountcd.com/index.cfm?re...pc=063757932727

thanks!!!! have you dealt with deep..........?

thanks!!!! have you dealt with deep..........?

not since he was banned! :lol:

but seriously, yes and they are great!

;)

I don't have any of his recordings, but I know that in flute circles Robert Dick is considered to be a master and innovator of "extended techniques". He's able to make all kinds of sounds on the flute that completely confound more traditional players.

0939407000.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif0939407019.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif