Kenny Burrell Euphoria CD question

mikeweil

The beautiful Euphoria CD with Kenny Burrell's instrumental session for Columbia includes a previously unissued track, credited to Burrell, How Could You (track 13), which to me sounds like some piece of Ellingtonia, but right now I don't have the time to check it, maybe someone recognizes the tune instantly?

BTW, the session credits have two minor mistakes:

- Track 8 Mambo Twist was in fact on the Columbia LP Bluesin' Around; Jim Fisch's liner notes have that correct

- Track 13, How Could You, has a wrong matrix number, CO68766 is correct.

Sultry Serenade... first recorded Oct 10 1947 by Duke.. a feature for Tyree Glenn (with some Hodges thrown in).

I'm not sure if someone wrote words to it, but How Could You certainly fits the opening phrase.

Edited by P.D.

I researched this when I first got the CD, and I also recall finding evidence that the tune is actually "How Could You Do A Thing Like That To Me". Is "Sultry Serenade" an alternate title for the same composition?

BTW, it should probably be mentioned that the title of the Burrell Euphoria CD in question is "Moten Swing".

One other thing- the old CD version of this material (Bluesin' Around) had the titles reversed on "mambo twist" and "the switch". The master take of "Mambo Twist" is labeled on the "Moten Swing" CD as being previously unissued, but it was on the old CD (labeled as "the switch").

Another p.i. track on the "Moten Swing" CD, the song "Opus 21", was also recorded by Burrell on his "The Tender Gender" album, under the name "Isabella".

The Raben discography identifies the tune as "How Could You Do a Thing Like That to Me" - other sources tell me this is a tune by Tyree Glenn & Allan Roberts.

BTW, there is a tune just called "How Could You" by Dubin and Warren. But that seems to be irrelevant here.

Mike

According to the discographies available to me, Glenn recorded a song by that name in 1952 for Roost.

On the Burrell Cd it's definitely Sultry Serenade.

Sultry generally get's credited to Duke, but on some Ellington CDs / LPs I have both Duke and Glenn get composer credits.

It was a feature for Glenn with the Ellington band, this could be one of those (many) cases where Duke picked up a riff or an idea from a band member.

Could be Glenn collaborated with Allen Roberts to make a song of it later... BUT Burrell was such a big promoter of Duke I find it strange he would record the tune under Tyree's title.. if that's what it was.

There is a version on Erroll Garner's Concert By The Sea.. titled How could you do a thing Like that to Me credited to Glenn only.. which is again Sultry Serenade.

Also by that title on Glenn's Roulette album with Strings.

Burrell recorded it under the full title on the Cadet album Night at the Village Vanguard ( not the 32 / Muse version) I haven't heard this album but I suspect it is the same tune.

Edited by P.D.

I researched this when I first got the CD, and I also recall finding evidence that the tune is actually "How Could You Do A Thing Like That To Me".  Is "Sultry Serenade" an alternate title for the same composition?

We were simo-posting

The tune is Sultry Serenade, recorded as I mentioned above by Duke in 47, so the How Could you title must be the "alternate".. probably when words were added later.

Maybe Glenn got the rights to it from Duke because it was Tyree's conception.

Edited by P.D.

Hmmm - somewhere in the back of my mind, now I'm thinking I recall hearing that "HCYDATTTM" was Glenn's commentary on Ellington appropriating others' material. Don't quote me on that.

I've tried to straighten out this and the earlier KB Columbia material. Please take a look and let me have comments. The vocal stuff seems to be a real mess, but Raben has much more complete info than Lord.

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Temp/burrell.htm

I don't actually own the Euphoria CD - does it specify take numbers or sequence? I made the big assumption that the master was the final take.

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

Burrell recorded it under the full title on the Cadet album Night at the Village Vanguard ( not the 32 / Muse version) I haven't heard this album but I suspect it is the same tune.

Peter, thanks for elaborating on the Sultry / How Could You... topic.

Regarding Burrell's Village Vanguard recordings, I think you've got that mixed up (or else you know something I don't). I don't have the Cadet LP, but I have all of Burrell's Vanguard recordings on CD (the complete 1959 session- with four bonus tracks; as well as the later recordings on Muse and Paddlewheel). I have no version of "How Could You Do A Thing Like That To Me" recorded at the Vanguard, but I do have a version of "Sultry Serenade" by KB, which was on a Muse album called "Ellington A La Carte" (live 1983 duets with Rufus Reid). This was later issued on a 2-CD set on the Camden Deluxe label, under the title "At The Village Vanguard". The 2-CD set contains 3 Muse albums: "Live at the Village Vanguard" (5216); "In New York" (5241) (also rec. at the V.V.); and the aforementioned "Ellington a la carte" (5435) which was recorded not at the V.V., but at Village West, NY.

I don't actually own the Euphoria CD - does it specify take numbers or sequence?

Mike, I'll take a look at your info and see if I can contribute anything (see my post above for starters).

The Euphoria CD does include matrix and take numbers.

The only discrepancies I've found so far:

The matrix number given in the Euphoria disc info for "Sultry/HCYDATLTTM" is 69740 (take 3), instead of 68766.

For the session you list as 11/29/61, the Euphoria issue gives the date as 11/28/61.

Also, I thought I would add that the original CD issue of BLUESIN' AROUND was part of Henri Renaud's "Jazzotheque" series (COL 472239 ). The only date I can find on this CD is the original Sony copyright date of 1983. I would think the CD was released in the late 80's.

In my opinion, this material is among the best work Burrell ever recorded. I can't recommend this Euphoria issue highly enough, especially with all of the bonus material it contains.

Jim the details I have are via Tom Lord

Sep 17 1959

Kenny Burrell trio at the Village Vanguard

Burrell / Richard Davis / Roy Haynes

was on Cadet 2CAS60019 ( vinyl?)

British Checker 6467310

also on German Bellaphon BLST 655b

other tracks on the Cadet were

Soft Winds

Will You Still be Mine

I Can't See For Looking

Well You Needn't

All Night Long

some of these tracks were also on Argo..LP655 with others recorded at the session.( I'm a Fool to Want you, Afternoon in Paris).. but not the Glenn tune

I didn't check the #@ Jazz that closely, was just looking for the title, but you are probably aware that it was recorded Dec 15 1978

The Cadet / Argos do not seem to have been reissued on LP or CD

Peter, I'm afraid I'm more confused now. Above, you posted:

"Burrell recorded it under the full title on the Cadet album Night at the Village Vanguard ( not the 32 / Muse version) I haven't heard this album but I suspect it is the same tune."

I responded by telling you that I have (or thought I had) the complete 1959 Vanguard recordings (all ARE on CD, although I had to buy 2 different CD's to get all of the bonus tracks- the CD reissue of Argo 655 on Chess included two; and a CD on Charly included two others), and neither "Sultry" nor "How Could You..." are included anywhere. Cadet was a reissue label following the original Argo ("Man At Work" was the title of the U.S. Cadet reissue of Argo 655, BTW).

Your latest post doesn't explain the above statement, so I'm wondering if you were incorrect, or changing your story. ;) As I said, the other version of "Sultry Serenade" that Burrell recorded was on a Muse album called "Ellington A La Carte", recorded in 1983 (duets with Rufus Reid). Although this was NOT recorded at the Village Vanguard, it was included on a Camden Deluxe 2-CD compilation (bringing together 3 Muse albums) entitled "At The Village Vanguard" (not to be confused :wacko: with "A NIGHT at the Village Vanguard; or "From The Vanguard With Love"; or "Live at the Village Vanguard"; or "Midnight at the Village Vanguard" :wacko: ... all of which are actual titles of Burrell releases over the years!!).

I'm not sure what your reference to Dec. 15, 1978 was concerning... :unsure:

To further clarify on the 1959 Vanguard recordings, here are the tracks that I'm aware of:

Originally issued on Argo 655:

all night long,will you still be mine,i'm a fool to want you, trio, broadway,soft winds,just a-sittin' and a-rockin',well you needn't

Bonus tracks on Chess CD reissue of Argo 655:

i can't see for lookin', cheek to cheek

Bonus tracks on (later) Charly CD issue:

afternoon in paris,tricotism

I made the big assumption that the master was the final take.

Mike, could you elaborate / clarify what you meant by that? Did you mean that to encompass all the tracks with alternates, or...? Since we were discussing the tune "How Could You..." (no alternate take), I was unclear.

No, not that particular tune, just in general.

Without the final digit (X, as in CO12345-X), it's not possible to position the takes accurately to indicate which was recorded first. In many, but certainly not all cases, the master take is the final of the sequence. Kind of like how whatever you've lost is always found in the last place you look. So when there were multiple takes, I positioned the alternate as preceding the master. But there could well be a situation where the players do "one too many" and the master take is an earlier one.

If there are take numbers (the final digit) for everything included in the CD set, I'd love to know them because that's something that hasn't been published.

However, I'm still a bit wary of this CD since they got the wrong master number for that tune as well as getting the wrong composer. Did they get the date correct? I don't know. Should that -3 just be transferred to the correct master number? That doesn't seem like a sensible thing.

I've put up a revised version at the same URL that incorporates some of what has been discussed.

Mike

Jim .. Cadet 60019 has the tracks I listed PLUS Sultry Serenade under rhe Tyree Glenn title

The Argo was recorded at the same time and venue.. but the Ellington / Glenn tune was not included in the argo.

according to Lord these are the total titles that were recorded

Soft Winds

Will You Still Be Mine

Blues in the Closet*

I'm A Fool to Want You

Broadway

I Just Can't see for Looking

It's Easy to Remember*

Doodlin*

Well You Needn't

But Beautiful*

How Could You do a Thing Like That

Cheek to Cheek

All Night Long

Afternoon in Paris

Tricotism

Trio

Just A Sittin' and a Rockin

* were unreleased, the rest were spread out over the Cadet and Argo issues.. I listed the Cadet above and you have the Argo

Some titles were on a Chess CD9316 (just Can't See / Cheek to Cheek) was this CD a Burrell comp?

Some on Chess Lp 2ACMJ408 ( Afternoon in Paris / Just A Sittin').. was this a Burrell Comp?

The Glenn / Ellington title is apparently only on the Cadet issue, and the German equivalent or on the English Checker label6467310 ( with Soft Winds / Will You still be / All Night / Just a Sittin)

I have no indication if that was the complete Checker album or if it was a comp with other Burrell albums.

According to Lord these are the total titles that were recorded

Soft Winds

Will You Still Be Mine

Blues in the Closet*

I'm A Fool to Want You

Broadway

I Just Can't see for Looking

It's Easy to Remember*

Doodlin*

Well You Needn't

But Beautiful*

How Could You do a Thing Like That

Cheek to Cheek

All Night Long

Afternoon in Paris

Tricotism

Trio

Just A Sittin' and a Rockin

* were unreleased, the rest were spread out over the Cadet and Argo issues.. I listed the Cadet above and you have the Argo

Some titles were on a Chess CD9316 (just Can't See / Cheek to Cheek) was this CD a Burrell comp?

Some on Chess Lp 2ACMJ408 ( Afternoon in Paris / Just A Sittin').. was this a Burrell Comp?

The Glenn / Ellington title is apparently only on the Cadet issue, and the German equivalent or on the English Checker label6467310 ( with Soft Winds / Will You still be / All Night / Just a Sittin)

I have no indication if that was the complete Checker album or if it was a comp with other Burrell albums.

Peter, thanks for clarifying (and for being thorough this time). It appears that I have all of the released tracks now, except for the Ellington/Glenn tune, which I never knew had been released. I wonder if those unreleased tracks are still in existence in a can somewhere...

The Chess CD you referred to (CHD 9316) is the one I have. It's not a comp. It's the original Argo album plus two bonus tracks (see above).

Sorry, I don't know anything about Chess Lp 2ACMJ408 (If I knew the title, I might be able to answer your question, but possibly not).

Selected data as listed in the booklet for MOTEN SWING:

1. Moten Swing- 6:26

matrix: CO 70109 - take 8

4/30/62

2. Bye And Bye- 2:49

matrix: CO 68763 - take 14

11/28/61

3. The Squeeze- 4:16

matrix: CO 68767 - take 1

11/28/61

4. Opus 21- 4:44 *

matrix: CO 69738 - take 9