SGUD Missile fires again! a new big band CD coming!

SGUD missile

Hi Guys:

I know I've been gone from the Org - BBS for quite a spell, but for the past year, I've been gearing up to record my follow-up CD to 'C-Zone" - writing, planning ,and most importantly, scuffling bread together to accomplish this project ..

I can now happily report that I got it recorded last week ..and this time in LA with a REAL A team band!!!! :party::party:

Basically,I hate LA ..but I LOVE these guys! Wayne Bergeron and his crew played their collective asses OFF!! Without a doubt, these were some of the best sessions I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of. These guys buckled down and gave 110% on everything and seemingly had a great time doing it.

I'd done any number of "business" gigs out there before and always felt most of the players were somewhat lackadaisical -sorta phoning it in. That was definitely NOT the case this time!!

( Plus: the icing on the cake was I came in on budget ..and even let the band go a half hour early the first day. )

We recorded at the same studio Bob Florence used exactly five days later. Martin Sound ( in Alhambra -a part of LA I'd never been in before )

It is a very nice comfortable big room and the guys all seemed to like working there. My engineer was Tally Sherwood- who also has done the John LaBarbera and Steve Houghton Gershwin projects among many other jazz projects.. A Real laid back guy with great large band jazz ears, and combined with all the great takes we got,editing and mixing this deal will be fairly easy.

The serependitious part of the whole deal is that Talley is originally from Bellingham WA ( where the SGUD Missile silo is located )

This means he can come up HERE in a month or so for a "working family visit " to edit and mix the project... at a very nice small ProTools studio in downtown B/Ham ..ten minutes from my house! ( Recording these days sure is a different experience )

What we recorded:

Jeannine ( the old Duke Pearson /Cannonball tune )

Bluelonius ( my sloooooow blues tribute to guess who -Lanny Morgan and Brian Scanlon are killing on this one )

Day dream ( Ellington-Strayhorn )

Pleading Dim Cap ( a kinda "out" screamer based on dimished scales )

Zip Code 2005 ( A reworking of my old "Zip City " from the '73 Bill Watrous MWR album .. with a new ending and some re-working of the interior lines)

Body and Soul ( a solo tour de force for baritonist Bill Ramsay -)

Lazy Afternoon ( a feature for the GREAT pianist, Bill Cunliffe )

*Just Juan Beatov Stomp ( a slightly tongue in cheek latin /funk piece in 7/8 time ..hence the title ..a great workout for Grant Geissman and Cunliffe ) :)

**My Museum : A ballad I co-wrote with a gal named Marissa Dodge - Bartlett ( featuring a beautiful reading by my favorite NW vocalist, Greta Matassa )

Total time is approx: 59 minutes plus ( thus reinforcing the running gag Bob F and I have going that at about 70 minutes, Bobs is "definitely longer than mine!" ) :crazy:

The probable title of the CD is "My Museum" ..no specific hook , except the CD is like an exhibition of both my latest works, and some retrospective reworkings of mine and others older songs.

I hope to have it out late summer /early fall -again on Origin Records.

Tpts:

Wayne Bergeron ( lead, also contractor )

Dan Fornero

Pete De Sienna

Bob Summers ( Jazz )

Bones:

Andy Martin ( lead and jazz )

Charkie Morillas

Dave Ryan

Michael Millar ( B/ Tbn )

Reeds:

Lanny Morgan ( lead )

Gary Foster ( both altos, alto flutes ,and c flutes )

Pete Christlieb

Brian Scanlon ( both tenors and clarinets )

Bill Ramsay ( Bari*and Bass Car. )

Rhythm:

Bill Cunliff ( keys )

Grant Geissman ( gtr )

Tom Warrington ( Bass )

Steve Houghton ( drums )

Brian Kilgore ( perc)

additional personnel ,etc.:

*Rhythm on "Juan Beatov":

Drums: Dan Wojciechowski  

El.Bass: Gerald Stockton

Guitars: Bud Guin ,Grant Geissman

Keys: Bill Cunliffe

Perc: Brian Kilgore

**" My Museum"

Piano: Darin Clendenin

Bass: Clipper Anderson

Vocal: Greta Matassa

Strings: Diane Kitzman- concertmistress ( Dallas strings )

"My Museum "Track recorded by David Lange @ David Lange Studio, Tacoma WA

Strings and Juan Beatov rhythm track recorded by David Giangulio @ TM Century in Dallas TX

So anyhow ..now I'm back ..and a very happy camper!!

:w:w:w

Phil Kelly

www.philkellymusic.com

• 3 months later...

Okay Guys: the new CD "My Museum" will be released in one week ..on October 1st.

It will then be availble on bigbandjazz.net, Origins site, My website and CD Baby. It will be available in the brick and mortar stores around mid month ..

However, you CAN now hear some mp3 clips on both my website and on the Origin website as well.

I think everyone who liked C Zone will like this one too!

Check out da clips!!!

Phil Kelly

www.philkellymusic.com

:party::party::party:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update. I wondered what happened to the project.

Hi chuck:

( Just upping myself here to get some omre folks to check out the mp3 samples on bigbandjazz.net, the Origin, site ,and my own site ..there are somewhat different clips on each site )

BTW: is "upping onesself " considered something one should do in mixed company? :bwallace:

oh well ..too late.

Phil Kelly

NW Prevailing Winds

**SW Santa Ana Winds** :party::party::party:

www.philkellymusic.com

dammit SGUD missle u look like one happy, jolly bastard- if i ever run into you, remind me to buy you a slice of gourmet cheese or a snifter of your favorite port

Well, thats damn big of y'all Chewy!

I may pass on the cheese ( oops, came out wrong ..),

:bwallace:

but I can certainly snorf down a wee bit of Macallans 18 single malt wwith you ..should you ever be in my neck of the woods!

• 2 weeks later...

:D Just picked up "Convergence Zone" myself and immediately ordered "My Museum!" Damn, Phil, you sure do write some nice charts! Very clear, yet substantial. Love the orchestrations and voicings. No excess either - your music swings and it's to the point. Plus - seems like you got a line on the top studio players :P Must be nice!

Again, congrats on the new release - I look forward to hearing it soon!

- LCM

My Museum is superb, Phil. Congrats! And Gretta! What can you say? :cool::tup:tup

Ron :

If you really want your nose opened to what Greta does, go to the Origin website and check out some of the clips from her CDs ..

better yet, check out her website:

http://gretamatassa.com/index.html

I'll betcha end up copping at least one of 'em!! :tup:tup:tup

Phil K

My Museum is superb, Phil. Congrats! And Gretta! What can you say? :cool::tup:tup

Ron :

If you really want your nose opened to what Greta does, go to the Origin website and check out some of the clips from her CDs ..

better yet, check out her website:

http://gretamatassa.com/index.html

I'll betcha end up copping at least one of 'em!! :tup:tup:tup

Phil K

Thank you, Phil. You're absolutely right - I will get a couple of her CDs. Talk about deserving of wider recognition! Well, that certainly applies to you, too. Her vocal on My Museum is stunning. The lyrics are wonderful. I can't recall the writing collaboration. Good luck with the CD. :tup