Guess who's a fan of Peter Brotzmann?

*Apologies in advance if this belongs on the political discussion board*

From an e-mail I got from a friend (and later semi-confirmed by googling):

"Brotzmann, the tenor sax player, one of the greatest alive."

- Bill Clinton, when asked by the Oxford American to name a musician people would be

surprised he listened to.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Edited by Selim Sivad

*Apologies in advance if this belongs on the political discussion board*

From an e-mail I got from a friend (and later semi-confirmed by googling):

"Brotzmann, the tenor sax player, one of the greatest alive."

- Bill Clinton, when asked by the Oxford American to name a musician people would be

surprised he listened to.

Has anyone else heard of this?

awesome, bill would be a great member of this forum........

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Yes, that info was printed during his Presidency. Brotzmann was aware of the comment the last time he came through Kalamazoo, he had a wide eyed chuckle over it.

http://www.oxfordamericanmag.com/oastorevi...60&EntryVend=OA

It was in an interview from The Oxford Magazine 2001 music issue, after Clinton's last term. The writer had ten minutes to interview Clinton specifically about music while the former Pres was taking a limo ride to an airport. It's a two page piece. Clinton sites all the usual musicians he's touted, Elvis, Fleetwood Mac, and Stan Getz. It's about two thirds in that the writer asks that question and Clinton answers, "Brotzmann, the tenor sax player, one of the greatest alive." I was sitting in the living room, listening to new acquisitions and reading new mags, and literally howled with yelps of laughter when I read that. Within a week it was on the Chi-Improv list and other internet avenues where avante-skronk is discussed.

Gotta luv Bubba for that one. I picture him a pot puffing youngster at Oxford, and freaking out when the Brotzmann/Van Hove/Bennink appeared in concert to blow the college kids' minds.

Apparently Bill Clinton is a tad promiscuous in this respect too. This is from Russian tenor saxophonist Igor Butman's website:

"Clinton described this performance [involvling Butman] in his book 'My Life': 'Before I left Moscow, Putin hosted a small dinner in the Kremlin with a jazz concert afterward, featuring Russian musicians from teenagers to an octogenarian. The finale began on a dark stage, a haunting series of tunes by my favorite living tenor saxophonist, Igor Butman. John Podesta, who loved jazz as much as I did, agreed with me that we had never heard a finer live performance."

Apparently Bill Clinton is a tad promiscuous in this respect too. This is from Russian tenor saxophonist Igor Butman's website:

"Clinton described this performance [involvling Butman] in his book 'My Life': 'Before I left Moscow, Putin hosted a small dinner in the Kremlin with a jazz concert afterward, featuring Russian musicians from teenagers to an octogenarian. The finale began on a dark stage, a haunting series of tunes by my favorite living tenor saxophonist, Igor Butman. John Podesta, who loved jazz as much as I did, agreed with me that we had never heard a finer live performance."

I'm no President, but I'll take Brotzmann over Butman any milisecond of any day.