Remembering the prime of Mad Magazine

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things you could say about your political opponent that sounded scandalous but really weren't (outdated)

"His sister is a well-known thespian."

IIRC, Nixon used that against a female opponent, calling her a thespian, with what was considered a shady connotation in those times.

The one thing I remember really liking about Mad was the inside back cover where one drawing folded over to reveal the real story...

Al Jaffee's mad Fold-in. If he's still alive it's still on the back cover.

I just became aware of this. Had no idea such a collection existed.

Doesn't surprise me. Classic Mad still turns a respectable dollar.

On the topic of Kurtzman creations, I picked up five issues of "Help", a mid-60s humor mag that Kurtzman did, at a recent comic book convention. Some pretty funny stuff, even though most of it was topical humor. One issue has some early Robert Crumb work and Woody Allen shows up in one of the fumettis.

I was an avid Mad reader from the mid-60's until the early 70's, at which point, around age 14, I switched to the National Lampoon.

You naughty boy! They were great too. Too bad it ended badly (officialy they still publish. In terms of impact....).

I remember the Foto Funny where a hippie's panhandling and someone in a suit, a very '70s straight-arrow guy, lectures him and tells him to 'get with the program. This is 1975'.

'It is?. Wow, man. Dynamite weed!!'

Edited by fasstrack