Oldest CD in your collection

Big Al

Was thinking about this the other night. I think the oldest ones in my collection are three that I bought in the summer of '89 which still get semi-regular play:

Benny Goodman VOLUME 3: ALL THE CATS JOIN IN

Benny Goodman SEXTET

Duke Ellington PRIVATE COLLECTION VOLUME 1

How about you?

Edited by Big Al

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

c040192d0uv.jpg

Jimi Hendrix - "Live at Winterland" --- Rykodisc, released circa 1987.

Maybe technically not the oldest CD in my entire collection (maybe I later bought something used that was actually issued earlier), but Jimi @ Winterland was definitely the very first CD I ever bought, I'm pretty sure of that.

I was a senior in high school that year - and vaguely remember buying it in the Spring of '87, a couple months before I graduated. I'm also pretty darn sure I didn't own a CD-player back then either, and I had to get a friend to tape it for me, in order to listen to it. Had a roommate in college with a CD player (thankfully), and finally got one of my own around late 1988 or early '89.

Still have that Hendrix disc too. :cool:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I bought my first CDs in 1985 during a $15 sale (CDs were $20-25 at the time), even before I had a CD player:

- Moussorgsky - Pictures at an exhibition (Chicago Symphony, Solti)

- Al Di Meola, Paco DeLucia. John McLaughlin - Friday night in San Francisco

- Dire Straits - Love over gold

- Yes - 90295 :bad:

I bought my first CD player a couple of weeks later, a very basic Philips CD100, for $400 (the introduction price in 1983 was $1000) with no time display and no remote control

PhilipsCD100.jpg

My dear wife bought me a CD Player for my birthday in 1986, and two CDs to go with it:

e90917w9hct.jpg

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

h30402sehi4.jpg

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

I remember very clearly being astonished at the sound quality. I still own both discs.

The very first CD I actually bought was Miles' Sketches Of Spain--which was of very poor audio quality and cost me $35 at The Colony. I already had quite a few CDs, but they were freebies (Warner Bros. sent me about ten and said they wanted them back after I finished reviewing them. Why?, I asked. "We have a CD return policy," the lady told me. I told her that I had a no return policy. She said "okay."

BTW this PhilipsCD100.jpg was also my first CD player--Stereo Review sent it to me.

Mine was Hank Mobley's "Workout". A used bookstore got a whole batch of Blue Note CDs when they first came out. That was the first one I bought. I went back the next day and bought the remaining 10 or so titles they had which included, to my memory, Bud Powell's "The Scene Changes" among others.

I got a CD player in 1987 as I was heading off to college. It came with a Columbia jazz sampler. The first CD I bought was probably The Beatles' Help. First jazz CD was probably Mingus Ah Um and Brubeck's Take Five a bit after that. I was still buying tapes in those days, which is why I didn't get Monk's Genius of Modern Music 1 & 2 and Miles' Sketches of Spain earlier (before Mingus and Brubeck at any rate).

The 3 oldest cds in the collection are all by Tangerine Dream. I'm pretty sure that I bought them all in '86. 'Underwater Sunlight' was a UK import disc put out by Jive Recs. The other 2 are 'Green Desert' and 'Pergamon,' which was recorded live at the Palast Der Republik in East Berlin.

149324.jpg

The original 'Green Desert' cover that I have looks like:

B00004C4L9.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

....it was changed years ago and of course now looks nothing at all like a green desert. Go figure.

B00008DCRA.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

I didn't buy a CD player until 1990. Had too much invested in vinyl and it took things like Hank Williams Sr.'s Health & Happiness set to draw me out.

I bought 5 at once after I bought my player. I didn't believe in buying things I already had on vinyl (and still lean that way.)

Billy Bragg - Talking with the Taxman About Poetry

Bob Marley - Talkin' Blues

Shakti with John McLaughlin

Not sure what the other two were. :blink:

The last sealed new release LP I bought was this:

c53816m5quq.jpg

Guess it took a 3 sided clear vinyl release to make me switch.

Edited by Quincy

Before actually buying CDs, I used to draw shapes on their playing surfaces

and use their altered sounds during performances. When I finally broke down and

decided to actually buy one, I actually bought two:

• Klaus Schulze: Dune:

05272.jpg

and

• Brian Eno: Thursday Afternoon

05273.jpg

I think that this was '85.

I remember that a big deal was made about

the Eno being the first CD to take advantage of

the longer format and that you could now

have an hour of uninterrupted sound.

My sweetheart's first CD was in '88:

• Elvis Hitler: Disgraceland

05274.jpg

As for a CD Player: that wasn't until '92.

Up to that time, I used the ones at my workplace.

Edited by rostasi

d66119yc887.jpg

It's a tie, I purchased these CD's on the same day. The upper CD is the Elektra version with the bonus tracks from the Creeping Death EP. You can see about 50 holes when you hold it up to the light...but it still plays!!!

d5725720i01.jpg

My mother picked out the Deep Purple disc, she loves Child In Time (she says it reminds her of me because it came out the year I was born).

• Brian Eno: Thursday Afternoon

05273.jpg

I think that this was '85.

I remember that a big deal was made about

the Eno being the first CD to take advantage of

the longer format and that you could now

have an hour of uninterrupted sound.

It also only came out on CD, which was why I had to buy it. I don't think I even got a CD play for a couple of years... :rlol

I'm another one of those who tried to stick to vinyls but had to give up when the record stores aliminated their vinyl sections. Gave up the fight in the late '80s.

First CD purchases were the Swedish Tax CDs of the Count Basie Orchestra 1954 concerts in Stockholm.

Then came those Japanese BN discs with additional material. Could not resist!

Canonball Adderlerly- Live in San Francisco- bought in 1987. £11.99 at the time, it's a Japanese Victor ( with yellow spine ) edition transfered in 1986 and still sounds fantastic. These Japanese CDs were available long before I saw and OJC series discs.