Last art exhibition you visited?

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not an exhibition, but I've been looking at a book about the Impressionist painter Alfred Sisley, Interesting, among other reasons, because some of Sisley's later works, which are commonly felt to show signs of failing inspiration, strike me as more intense and inventive than much of what he painted in his supposed prime (the mid-1870s). On the other hand, because Sisley's typical manner was rather withdrawn, even bland, to being with, I may just be responding to the advent of some welcome (because it suits my tastes) latter-day relative gnarliness.

Not an exhibition, but I've been looking at a book about the Impressionist painter Alfred Sisley, Interesting, among other reasons, because some of Sisley's later works, which are commonly felt to show signs of failing inspiration, strike me as more intense and inventive than much of what he painted in his supposed prime (the mid-1870s). On the other hand, because Sisley's typical manner was rather withdrawn, even bland, to being with, I may just be responding to the advent of some welcome (because it suits my tastes) latter-day relative gnarliness.

I don't see any falling off in his later work, either. Mind you, nostalgia may be playing a part as some very late paintings were done on the South Wales coast at Penarth, a place I have happy memories of from my childhood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/arts/sites/alfred-sisley/index.shtml

Winslow Homer show at the Clark Museum in Williamstown, Ma., the incredible Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum in Boston. Also the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, with the great Copley painting of Paul Revere staring you right in the face, plus lots of other stuff. But don't miss the Gardner.

My old stomping grounds! Great museums all; I miss them.

• 1 month later...

Looks like a fairly interesting photography exhibit (Edward Burtynsky) is supposed to land at the Vancouver Art Gallery this spring, but it is too early for them to confirm anything (still hush hush). I hope it does happen -- right now the VAG is in a phase where there is nothing of interest (to me) on display.

I did see some core paintings from the University of Iowa on display at the Figge Art Museum in Davenport, IA. I enjoyed that, though it was only two galleries. The absolute highlight for me was Beckmann's triptych Carnival.

Has anyone made it to the Tate to see the Klee exhibit? It looks pretty nice, though I wouldn't fly in just for that... I have quite a few books on Klee, but the catalog may still be worth getting.

Impressionism and Fashion show at the Art Institute a few weeks ago. Excellent, very thoughtfully put together, untypically (these days) clear and informative words on the wall, no b.s. theorizing.

I actually saw that 5-6 weeks ago. It was a nice exhibit. I was kind of floored to see this large painting from the AGO (in Toronto), since it is one that I have burned into my memory from repeated visits. Then they had a very similar black dress nearby. It was Tissot's The Shop Girl: a.jpg

Leeds Gallery - 'Art & Life', Ben & Winifred Nicholson plus Christopher Wood etc.. really nice paintings. What struck me was how sparsely they scraped the paint on often (but in just the right places!) - http://theculturevulture.co.uk/blog/culture-news/cut-and-paste/leeds-art-gallery-celebrates-art-and-life/ Ben-Nicholson-Cornish-Port-1930.-Kettles

Beautiful stuff, Clive!

By chance, John Aldridge at the tiny but excellent Fry Gallery in Saffron Walden - wonderful stuff, as well as all the Ravillious, Keith Vaughan etc there.. the last day before the gallery goes into hibernation for winter so unfortunately this can't function as a recommendation http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/10339774/Fresh-airing-for-artist-who-loved-the-outdoors.html

Yes - definitely worth a visit at the moment - there's a number of interesting things in there right now (and nearly all different stuff from six months back..) -

Well, made it to The Hepworth and very good indeed. Apart from the new Dana Schutz show, excellent collection of 20th century British painting and sculpture and some fine Tissots.

Leeds Gallery - 'Art & Life', Ben & Winifred Nicholson plus Christopher Wood etc.. really nice paintings. What struck me was how sparsely they scraped the paint on often (but in just the right places!) - http://theculturevulture.co.uk/blog/culture-news/cut-and-paste/leeds-art-gallery-celebrates-art-and-life/ Ben-Nicholson-Cornish-Port-1930.-Kettles

Beautiful stuff, Clive!

And I saw it today! Well worth the journey and, as I don't visit Leeds Art Gallery very often, lots of other good things to see, too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At the Met:
Balthus, Cats and Girls

This piece was amazing:

William Kentridge's five-channel video installation The Refusal of Time (2012), a thirty-minute meditation on time and space, the complex legacies of colonialism and industry, and the artist's own intellectual life.

Edited by Michael Weiss

• 3 months later...

So I had most of a day in D.C. I didn't realize that basically the entire East Building of the National Gallery was shut down. That was disappointing. They moved the 20th C. exhibits to the ground floor of the West Building. They had the Gary Winograd exhibit that had previously been in San Francisco. It is good, if a bit overwhelming, but I had seen it in S.F. They also had German expressionist prints, focusing on Kirchner, with a few other artists mixed in. And while they don't seem to be publicizing it on the website, you can watch James Nares' Street, which is a pretty fascinating video project. He shot 2.5 minutes of typical Manhattan street scenes with a special camera designed to capture bullets in flight and so on. This was then slowed down to 60 minutes, so you have a lot of people looking like they are standing still and a few others moving in slow motion. It is interesting for sure. I only had time to watch 5-10 minutes, but I'd watch the full thing, assuming I could find the time.

Unfortunately, I just missed the opening of a bunch of exhibits, both at the National Gallery and various places at the Smithsonian. Many open this weekend. Probably the one that I would have liked the most is called Whistler and the Thames (at the Sackler). However, I really did like the woodblock prints on display in Kiyochika: Master of the Night. That might be the best thing I saw during this trip. Here is some more info about it: http://www.asia.si.edu/exhibitions/current/kiyochika/