Last art exhibition you visited?

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to the Museo Nacional del Prado yesterday. 'nuff said.

Actually, as if everything else wasn't enough, seeing the Garden of Earthly Delights in person was a special treat.

Yes. For me, I had known it was a good museum with plenty of Goyas and Velazquez's but I didn't really expect to see all those Boschs. I do hope to get back some day. (Maybe instead of the Hermitage. It may be a good 15-20 years before I feel right about touring Russia. And perhaps never...)

• 3 weeks later...

So I had most of a day in D.C. I didn't realize that basically the entire East Building of the National Gallery was shut down. That was disappointing. They moved the 20th C. exhibits to the ground floor of the West Building. They had the Gary Winograd exhibit that had previously been in San Francisco. It is good, if a bit overwhelming, but I had seen it in S.F. They also had German expressionist prints, focusing on Kirchner, with a few other artists mixed in. And while they don't seem to be publicizing it on the website, you can watch James Nares' Street, which is a pretty fascinating video project. He shot 2.5 minutes of typical Manhattan street scenes with a special camera designed to capture bullets in flight and so on. This was then slowed down to 60 minutes, so you have a lot of people looking like they are standing still and a few others moving in slow motion. It is interesting for sure. I only had time to watch 5-10 minutes, but I'd watch the full thing, assuming I could find the time.

Unfortunately, I just missed the opening of a bunch of exhibits, both at the National Gallery and various places at the Smithsonian. Many open this weekend. Probably the one that I would have liked the most is called Whistler and the Thames (at the Sackler). However, I really did like the woodblock prints on display in Kiyochika: Master of the Night. That might be the best thing I saw during this trip. Here is some more info about it: http://www.asia.si.edu/exhibitions/current/kiyochika/

Just returned from the Garry Winogrand exhibition at NGA. I had been trying to go for weeks, but other things kept getting in the way. Memorial Day weekend absolutely the worst time to go see it, but I managed to get in and out of DC with some trouble but could have been worse. Anyway, I really enjoyed the exhibit. It is indeed a massive exhibit, but I found it allowed one to really "get" Winogrand. It might have helped too that I was growing up, and going to school in NYC at roughly the same time as Winogrand was taking his street photos. It was like looking back into one's past, but with a new twist. It may have given them an added resonance for me. Anyway, it left a strong impression on me. The exhibition goes to NYC next (at the Met).

I also stopped into the German Expressionist prints, because I have a interest in the subject. Kirchner really stands out among the group exhibited. I'll probably go back for another look before it closes.

Saw exhibition in Sheffield of contribution to art in Britain by Polish emigrés. Got to do something to offset the current UKIP populist mania!

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/museums/graves-gallery/exhibitions/current/pole-position-polish-art-in-britain-1939%E2%80%931989

Looks good! - thanks for the tip..

Yes, worth the trip. In the nearby Millennium Gallery there's also an ex. called Recording Britain which I recommend:

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/museums/millennium-gallery/exhibitions/current/recording-britain-1

And the permanent collection of the Graves Gallery, which is showing the Polish art, has some gems in it.

Douglas Coupland has a solo exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery. The second half is heavily inspired by Pop Art, particularly Warhol and Lichtenstein. It was definitely better than I thought it would be, i.e. it wasn't just a smart-alecky takedown of the art world. I plan to make a second trip towards the end of June, ideally taking the kids. I'll probably write a full-blown blog post on it this weekend, and if there is interest, I can provide the link.

Douglas Coupland has a solo exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery. The second half is heavily inspired by Pop Art, particularly Warhol and Lichtenstein. It was definitely better than I thought it would be, i.e. it wasn't just a smart-alecky takedown of the art world. I plan to make a second trip towards the end of June, ideally taking the kids. I'll probably write a full-blown blog post on it this weekend, and if there is interest, I can provide the link.

I recall a period when Coupland's novels seemed to be everywhere, especially, IIRC, "Generation X." I did not know he was involved in the visual arts. Now that you posted on it, I found that he was on hiatus from the visual arts but is working in the field again. interesting.

• 1 month later...

Malevich at Tate Modern. Fascinating. Not free but well worth the entry fee

Would love to see it!

suprematist-composition-kazimir-malevich

The rooms of Suprematism are outstanding - proper 'Shock of the New': like a cold shower that takes your breath away and refreshes (sweltering London similes alert)

Edited by mjazzg

• 2 weeks later...

mondrianrevisedbanner.jpg?itok=7cgcLetb

At Tate Liverpool. Recommended. Also on display was Mondrian's collection of 78 albums by Albert Ammons, Pete Johnson, Jimmy Yancey, Pinetop Smith, Speckled Red, Cow Cow Davenport, etc. But then he did paint "Broadway Boogie Woogie" and "Victory Boogie Woogie". :tup

Malevich at Tate Modern. Fascinating. Not free but well worth the entry fee

Would love to see it!

suprematist-composition-kazimir-malevich

The rooms of Suprematism are outstanding - proper 'Shock of the New': like a cold shower that takes your breath away and refreshes (sweltering London similes alert)

I really wanted to see that. Saw it advertised when I went to the Matisse cut-outs show but was leaving London before the Malevich opened.

• 2 weeks later...

Imperial War Museum - Art From The First World War. Very very good exhibit - Nash, Bomberg, Nevinson, Wyndham Lewis, Flora Lion.. etc. don't miss it if you can get there (free admission too)

Just been in to see that. Excellent indeed. A lot of very famous paintings but some I've never seen in books. What struck me was how small some of the more geometric Nevinson's were - they always look as if they should be huge. Interesting to read about his pulling away from the Futurist glorification of war after experiencing the real thing.

Also went into the new WWI galleries. They tell the tale well, set out with a clear narrative. Just very crowded at present. Inching through as everyone reads every description.

Tremendous to see so much interest - the whole building was teaming with people.