Last art exhibition you visited?

10 hours ago, mjazzg said:

finally made it to "Soul Of A Nation, Art In The Age Of Black Power" at Tate Modern

fascinating show, opened my eyes to a good number of artists that I'd never heard of. 

I was there about 6 weeks ago, and only saw the Giacometti. For some reason I missed that exhibition. The album they released is great!

Edited by BFrank

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 13/10/2017 at 9:04 PM, BFrank said:

I was there about 6 weeks ago, and only saw the Giacometti. For some reason I missed that exhibition. The album they released is great!

I resisted buying the album...maybe a mistake. Giacometti was an exhilarating show

edit to add: there's a very good Spotify playlist to accompany the exhibition. Lots of obvious choices but a few less so(to me at least) and obvious or not they sound good together

Edited by mjazzg

On 10/14/2017 at 0:05 AM, mjazzg said:

I resisted buying the album...maybe a mistake. Giacometti was an exhilarating show

edit to add: there's a very good Spotify playlist to accompany the exhibition. Lots of obvious choices but a few less so(to me at least) and obvious or not they sound good together

I wonder if the playlist is the same as the album?
Soul of a Nation LP by Soul Jazz Records

• 4 months later...

Just back from a trip to New York and Philadelphia.  Saw many museums, including the Barnes Foundation for the first time (I did see the Highlights from the Barnes when it went on tour).  Not that many special exhibits, however, aside from a small exhibit on Joseph Cornell's homage to Juan Gris at the Met.

• 1 month later...

If you're in NYC, I definitely recommend checking out three of their exhibitions right now--I took these in on Saturday (and then went for a nice long walk on the High Line, which is located right next to the Whitney):

Grant Wood: American Gothic And Other Fables

Zoe Leonard: Survey

An Incomplete History Of Protest

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to score tickets to the hottest art exhibit in North America -- Yayoi Kusama's Infinity Mirrors at the AGO -- https://ago.ca/exhibitions/kusama

E-08897.jpg?h=0b7a0c0c&itok=u576nARq

It is interesting but it ends up being about 2 hours of queuing to get inside her Infinity Rooms for approximately 3 minutes.  The staff have a stop watch and move people along every 20 or 30 seconds depending on the Room.

• 9 months later...

There is a nicely curated Impressionist exhibit at the AGO - https://ago.ca/exhibitions/impressionism-age-industry-monet-pissarro-and-more

I was pleasantly surprised that they had a major Caillebotte on view and some other of his paintings, along with the usual suspects - Monet, Pissarro, Degas, etc.

I've been once and will probably go back several times, since I can bring up to 2 guests, and I promised some folks at work I would get them into the exhibit.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts’ Hal Prince exhibition last night, taken in with Marc Aronson, whose parents designed the sets for a number of Prince’s productions, including Fiddler On The Roof and Cabaret. Well worth checking out. Also, not really an art exhibition per se, but the NYPL’s J.D. Salinger exhibit made this longtime JDS obsessive extremely happy. Hoping to give it another go-through before I leave on Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be getting a different but presumably still representative Warhol exhibit up in Canada in Spring 2021.

There is one more week to catch the Romare Bearden exhibit in Atlanta: https://high.org/exhibition/something-over-something-else-romare-beardens-profile-series/

I'll be travelling to see that next weekend.  After this, the exhibit heads to Cincinnati, though missing a few of the paintings.

• 2 weeks later...