Last art exhibition you visited?

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This Sunday was the final day of the 'Cézanne et Pissarro 1865-1885' exhibition at the Musée d'Orsay. The final show for this exhibition which had been on view at the MOMA and at the LA County Museum of Art before.

Went there with my wife and we managed to get there early to beat the crowd.

Beautiful show with quite a number of Pissarros we had never seen before. Also Cézannes.

Feel very much at ease with the Pissarros but you can seen Cézanne develop his craft during those years!

One of the best show we had seen in years!

Just saw there is two more weeks of Max Beckmann's early graphics at the Städel in Frankfurt.

ea5535a988.jpg

I will try to catch that, especially since they have a parallel exhibition of Adam Elsheimer (1578-1610), who influenced people like Rembrandt and Lorrain - Frankfurt's most important painter ever! (more)

02ab4d2b9e.jpg

... especially since they have a parallel exhibition of Adam Elsheimer (1578-1610)

1815_38929-m.jpg

one of the more fascinating early modern paintings for many reasons! needless to say I'd love to see that exhibition!

Last I saw was the latest exhibition at the Fotomuseum Winterthur, a selection of young swiss photographers, some of them doing great work. Not sure what'll be next, but I'll try and make it to Basel as long as they have the Holbein exhibition up!

Not sure what'll be next, but I'll try and make it to Basel as long as they have the Holbein exhibition up!

I saw that one Easter when we were down there for a short vacation and a gig. For a Holbein nut, indispensable. The most fascinating to me was two smaller paintings in the first room which show the same physiognomy as one of the figures from the Isenheimer Altar by Grünewald, who supposedly met Holbein during his stay in Alsace - Holbein was there, too.

Van_Gogh_Museum.jpg

VanGogh-Sunflowers-1889-VanGogh-Museum-Amsterdam-sm.jpg

All hype aside, Van Gogh's paintings are beautiful in person. While people huddled in great numbers around famous Van Gogh paintings, I was able to spend great amounts of time looking at lesser known ones, revelling in their complexity. :eye::tup

Today in fact! Visted York City Art Gallery with my 5 year old son who has been talking about Van Gogh and Jackson Pollack with his teacher last week. I wanted to show him some works by an English artist, maybe one who considered industrial scenes; Lowry sprang to mind. I explained to Joe about Lowry's style of 'matchstick'men and women which he found highly amusing.

As it happened, the one Lowry in York's collection happens to be a scene from York of the Clifford's Tower which we also visited today! We sat for some time talking about what art is and how different forms of expression can be considered 'art'. I love these moments with him.

Anyhow, one exhibition was in progress of Tom Bendhem's, a successful businessman who became an avid collector of modern art.

This Sunday was the final day of the 'Cézanne et Pissarro 1865-1885' exhibition at the Musée d'Orsay. The final show for this exhibition which had been on view at the MOMA and at the LA County Museum of Art before.

Went there with my wife and we managed to get there early to beat the crowd.

Beautiful show with quite a number of Pissarros we had never seen before. Also Cézannes.

Feel very much at ease with the Pissarros but you can seen Cézanne develop his craft during those years!

One of the best show we had seen in years!

Sadly, this is the last art exhibit I visited, last October at LACMA. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of bringing a woman who turned out to be as cultured as Ma Kettle.

NOJ, (and any other Van Gogh lovers for that matter), be sure to visit the Rijksmuseum Kroller-Muller in Otterlo, the Netherlands, which, I believe, houses the second largest Van Gogh collection in the world. Many of my favorite pieces are contained there.

Last summer Lesley and I were in Europe. The small French seaport of Collioure put together a retrospective of everything Henri Matisse and his friends painted in that town during their year there, 1905-06, and they pulled together works from across the globe. What didn't fit in Collioure was exhibited in a nearby town. The show was called the Birth of Fauvism.

http://www.abcgallery.com/M/matisse/matisse136.html

After that part of our trip we were in Barcelona where the Picasso museum opened up much more after understanding the leaps the French took. I mean, his paintings are laid out room by room chronologically, and after "the French room" his paintings changed dramatically as he became the mature Picasso.

Was sad not to make it to the Joan Miro institute in Barcelona. There was a Calder sculpture out front. As you may know Calder's "Le Grand Vitesse" is located in downtown Grand Rapids. As a nine year old I recall sitting about four feet away from him during the dedication ceremony. My mother hauled us down there early before the thousands of people showed up. Calder was there early, too, and monkeyed around with my sisters, who would have been 8 and 6, until the dignataries made him stop and deal with the fauldeeraw. My mom was embarassed that she couldn't control her girls, but Calder was laughing his ass off with them.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

• 8 months later...

Earlier this week I had a few hours off in Frankfurt and went to see an exhibition of graphics and paintings of Odilon Redon at the Schirn Kunsthalle.

I urge anyone with an interest in this fascinating artist to pay a visit - a representative overview is very rare, his works scattered all over the world. And his colors (after decades of black and white art) are impossible to reprint - they glow from the inside!

redon3.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

Was back in the States for a quick visit and dropped by a lot of museums in New York and DC. The main exhibits I saw were Spanish art at the Guggenheim, Picasso and American Artists at the Whitney, art from Weimar Germany at the Met and a special exhibit on The Société Anonyme at the Phillips Collection in DC.

Earlier this week I had a few hours off in Frankfurt and went to see an exhibition of graphics and paintings of Odilon Redon.

I urge anyone with an interest in this fascinating artist to pay a visit - a representative overview is very rare, his works scattered all over the world. And his colors (after decades of black and white art) are impossible to reprint - they glow from the inside!

Mike, when next in Paris take time to visit the permanent Redon exhibition at the Musée d'Orsay

http://www.cord.edu/faculty/andersod/redon.html

The Redons are in a room off the beaten track as befits. The room is in the dark to protect the delicate material used by Redon.

Whenever I go to the Musée d'Orsay - which is pretty often - I take some time to admire these masxterpieces.

Was back in the States for a quick visit and dropped by a lot of museums in New York and DC. The main exhibits I saw were Spanish art at the Guggenheim, Picasso and American Artists at the Whitney, art from Weimar Germany at the Met and a special exhibit on The Société Anonyme at the Phillips Collection in DC.

Oh, I forgot that at the Smithsonian American Art Museum there is a very nice exhibit called: Joseph Cornell: Navigating the Imagination through Feb. 19, 2007. Definitely worth seeing in the next couple of weeks if you are in the DC area, since the best of the Cornell's seem to be concentrated in museums in New York and Chicago.

Brownie -- it looks like I will be in Paris next weekend. Anything short-term exhibits I definitely need to see? I am thinking of a quick trip to the Louvre (saw most of it last time) but will probably skip d'Orsay as I was there quite recently. I've heard about the Musée du quai Branly. Is that worth a look?

Brownie -- it looks like I will be in Paris next weekend. Anything short-term exhibits I definitely need to see? I am thinking of a quick trip to the Louvre (saw most of it last time) but will probably skip d'Orsay as I was there quite recently. I've heard about the Musée du quai Branly. Is that worth a look?

The new Musée at Quai Branly is quite something. Problem is that if you are on a quick visit, there is always a crowd waiting to get inside and it may take some time before you can enter the place.

The Louvre is always very highly recommended. Problem there is that there is so much to see. I would suggest you check at the Musee du Louvre site and select a specific area you want to visit! Also take in consideration that a number of Louvre sections are open only on selected days.

There is also the Centre Pompidou which is also worth spending time in. Beside their regular exhibitions, they have now a Yves Klein retrospective which is absorbing. The Pompidou Center is also celebrating its 40th anniversay and it's pretty crowded on weekends!

And may I suggest spending time at the Musée Marmottan with its glorious paintings by Claude Monet! A bit less crowded than the other institutions.

Beleive it or not, the Smithsonian has a large collection of Joseph Cornells. It is a nice exhibition in the American Art museum that has been rrecently renovated and looking great! I have to toot my own horn and say check out the National Gallery -- there is a big Jasper Johns exhibition of his important works from 55-65, a great diptych show (called Prayers and Portraits), and a show that I just completed, Paris in Transition - a collection of photographs from 1850s to 1920s.

Mike, when next in Paris take time to visit the permanent Redon exhibition at the Musée d'Orsay

The Redons are in a room off the beaten track as befits. The room is in the dark to protect the delicate material used by Redon.

Whenever I go to the Musée d'Orsay - which is pretty often - I take some time to admire these masterpieces.

Guy, I was there on my last visit - had to stand in line over an hour to get in. They're lovely - but the more than 200 pieces shown in Frankfurt are overwhelming!

I second your recommendation of the Musée Marmottan - and would add the Musée Rodin with its nice garden. But there are so many in Paris ....

The new Musée at Quai Branly is quite something. Problem is that if you are on a quick visit, there is always a crowd waiting to get inside and it may take some time before you can enter the place.

The Louvre is always very highly recommended. Problem there is that there is so much to see. I would suggest you check at the Musee du Louvre site and select a specific area you want to visit! Also take in consideration that a number of Louvre sections are open only on selected days.

There is also the Centre Pompidou which is also worth spending time in. Beside their regular exhibitions, they have now a Yves Klein retrospective which is absorbing. The Pompidou Center is also celebrating its 40th anniversay and it's pretty crowded on weekends!

And may I suggest spending time at the Musée Marmottan with its glorious paintings by Claude Monet! A bit less crowded than the other institutions.

There are museums in Paris?

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely consider the Musee Marmottan. I've seen pretty much all of the Louvre at one time or other, but would like to make a short trip (ha). I've been to Pompidou once, but not the newish Quai Branly, so I may go despite the crowds.