Last art exhibition you visited?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Off to check out the exhibition of 'Turner's Wessex' in Salisbury tomorrow. Salisbury Cathedral, Fonthill and Stourhead. Should be good !

http://www.salisburymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/turners-wessex-architecture-and-ambition

I was there on Sunday - well worth the trip.

Nice book as well (which I restrained from buying).

I'm in London for a few days in August so will pull in one or two visits to galleries. This is the one I particularly want to see:

rav-cara_men-at-low-tide.jpg

Eric Ravillious at the Dulwich Picture Gallery.

http://www.dulwichpicturegallery.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/2015/april/ravilious/?gclid=CPnni-yy5sUCFQTLtAodOHEAwg

I think one or two people here might have already been - I'm sure I've seen it mentioned.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Off to check out the exhibition of 'Turner's Wessex' in Salisbury tomorrow. Salisbury Cathedral, Fonthill and Stourhead. Should be good !

http://www.salisburymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/turners-wessex-architecture-and-ambition

I was there on Sunday - well worth the trip.

Nice book as well (which I restrained from buying).

Change of plan - looks iffy weatherwise out there today so I'll defer it. Just down the road so no big deal and it looks as if it is 'on' until September. Good to hear that it lives up to expectations though and I might even be tempted to get the book !

Edited by sidewinder

I went to the 'late Rembrandt' exhibition in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam this month. It was beautiful. Very crowded exhibiton though since it was probably a once in a life time moment all of this work was brought together in this exhibiton. I plan to go to the Rijks again later this year to see the rest of the museum again with a bit fewer people there I hope.

I went to the 'late Rembrandt' exhibition in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam this month. It was beautiful. Very crowded exhibiton though since it was probably a once in a life time moment all of this work was brought together in this exhibiton. I plan to go to the Rijks again later this year to see the rest of the museum again with a bit fewer people there I hope.

Saw that in London last Fall - it was VERY good!

• 2 months later...
Gustave Caillebotte: The Painter's Eye
June 28 – October 4, 2015

National Gallery of Art, Washington DC.

I've always enjoyed Caillebotte, and this exhibit brings more Caillebotte together than I've seen before. Those off-angle paintings still produce a luscious vertigo. 

Terry Frost exhibition at Leeds Art Gallery today. I like those 1950s abstracts.

Movement%20Green%20and%20Black.jpg

Heard good things about that exhibition. I recently saw some Frosts at Abbot Hall in Kendal. Their St Ives show is small but perfectly formed. There's another one on at Pallant House in Chichester which I hope to see soon - easier than Leeds

Gustave Caillebotte: The Painter's Eye
June 28 – October 4, 2015

National Gallery of Art, Washington DC.

I've always enjoyed Caillebotte, and this exhibit brings more Caillebotte together than I've seen before. Those off-angle paintings still produce a luscious vertigo. 

Sounds terrific.  Wish I could make it, but know that I can't.  I did, however, see a massive Caillebotte exhibit in 1995 or so.

I have to admit, the current exhibit at the AGO (Picturing the Americas) leaves me cold.  I found very little of interest until the last room or two where it moves away from traditional landscape painting.

On the other hand, I was just in Ottawa and saw Marc Chagall: Daphnis and Chloe at the National Gallery, which I thought was pretty fascinating.  It appears they managed to put all the plates from a complete edition up on the walls:

http://www.gallery.ca/en/see/exhibitions/current/details/chagall-daphnis-chloe-8754

• 2 weeks later...

Joseph Cornell - Wanderlust. Royal Academy of Arts

a very thought provoking introduction to this artist's work. Certainly left me wanting to know more about the man behind the art. With my post above it seems that this summer is one of discovery of American artists whom I feel I should have already known more than I did

Last weekend. A trip to Tate Liverpool to see Jackson Pollock - Blind Spots

http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-liverpool/exhibition/jackson-pollock-blind-spots

Well I knew plenty about this artist but the focus on the later works provided a good show (and Liverpool's always worth a visit)

• 4 weeks later...

Pleasure and Piety: The Art of Joachim Wtewael (1566–1638)

National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC

DEX06_large.jpg            DEX31_large.jpg

I found the exhibition devoted to this Utrecht Mannerist painter quite fascinating. This review from the NY Times gives a good idea of what Wtewael's work is like:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/arts/design/review-joachim-wtewaels-provocative-and-puzzling-paintings-at-the-national-gallery.html?_r=0

• 1 month later...

Made a quick trip up to NYC this weekend, and found time to take in the new and very hip Whitney, now located on the far lower west side of Manhattan, along the Green Line walkway. Great atmosphere in and around the museum, with lots of exciting design elements. I caught the newly opened Frank Stella retrospective, which was a real eye opener.  Had no idea that Stella produced such variegated work, but after moving through the exhibit several times, I stopped worrying about his seeming will o' the wisp quality and started enjoying--immensely-- the painterly quality and inventiveness of the work. A very enjoyable show. Plus there were some good selections from the permanent collection on view, as well as an exhibition"Archibald Motley, Jazz Age Modernist," which was interesting (Archibald was uncle to novelist Willard Motley).  Some Stella and Motley below. 

frank-stella_harran-ii_1967_silo_v1_740.

blues_forweb_740.jpg?1442349739