Last art exhibition you visited?

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw the Stuart Davis exhibit at the Whitney.  I thought it was very good.  It had all the main phases of his career covered.  I particularly liked the way they emphasized the serial nature of his work, reformating and reworking paintings into new works.  They had a wall with 4 paintings, all clearly related, covering a span of 30+ years.  Maybe not quite as impressive as Monet painting his Japanese bridge over and over again, but sort of the same principle.  Definitely worth checking out if in NYC.  It goes to DC this winter.  I think those are the only two stops.

As an added bonus, they had the Archibald Motley Jazz Age Modernist catalog in stock in the gift shop and it rang up as a $20 off sale. Score!  These have been OOP for a while, but Duke must have finally reprinted some, as they are back on Amazon.

4 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I saw the Stuart Davis exhibit at the Whitney.  I thought it was very good.  It had all the main phases of his career covered.  I particularly liked the way they emphasized the serial nature of his work, reformating and reworking paintings into new works.  They had a wall with 4 paintings, all clearly related, covering a span of 30+ years.  Maybe not quite as impressive as Monet painting his Japanese bridge over and over again, but sort of the same principle.  Definitely worth checking out if in NYC.  It goes to DC this winter.  I think those are the only two stops.

As an added bonus, they had the Archibald Motley Jazz Age Modernist catalog in stock in the gift shop and it rang up as a $20 off sale. Score!  These have been OOP for a while, but Duke must have finally reprinted some, as they are back on Amazon.

I very much like Stuart Davis's work, but American painters of his era are rarely seen here, unfortunately. Don' t I remember some of his with jazz themes?

On 8/20/2016 at 9:03 AM, BillF said:

I very much like Stuart Davis's work, but American painters of his era are rarely seen here, unfortunately. Don' t I remember some of his with jazz themes?

This is the one that most explicitly references jazz themes:

mural_for_studio_b_wnycmunicipal_broadca

Mural for Studio B, WNYC, Municipal Broadcasting Company, 1939.

Here are a couple that strike me as jazz-influenced:

the-mellow-pad-1951.jpg!Large.jpg

The Mellow Pad, 1951

(For some reason, a recent printing of Gaddis's The Recognitions uses part of this as the cover, so I made sure to buy that edition.)

davis_theparisbitfoweb_1140.jpg?14622133

The Paris Bit, 1959

All three of these are in the show along with nearly 100 other paintings.

I was just in Chicago and stopped by the MCA to check out the Kerry James Marshall exhibit: https://mcachicago.org/Exhibitions/2016/Kerry-James-Marshall

It runs through Sept. 25, so about one more month to catch it.

I've seen a fair number of Marshall's paintings in different museums, but seeing them all in one place was particularly impressive and gave me a bit more appreciation for his work.

The exhibition travels to The Metropolitan Museum of Art, October 25, 2016–January 29, 2017, and the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, March 12–July 2, 2017, so something to consider for you folks on the coasts.

I'm debating coming back to Chicago in late Oct.-early Nov. to see the Norman Lewis exhibit, but I haven't really made up my mind yet.

Edited by ejp626

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, BillF said:

"Abstract Expressionism" at the Royal Academy, London.

Great show!

https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibition/abstract-expressionism?gclid=CNfdy6u55NACFUO-7Qod-mIOQA

Well worth a visit. I thought it was curated a little as a battle of the giants with each artist given their own space. Painting-wise the Newmans and Klines stood out but for me the Pollock room had the most impact although the Smith sculptures that ran through the galleries really came into their own and were a delightful commentary on what was hung on the walls. Much has been written about the Still gallery which left me a bit cold - I think a return is required.

I also liked that there were names to discover amongst the heavy-hitters- Joan Mitchell, Sam Francis and Aaron Siskind - but that probably says more about my ignorance than anything else.

Next up for me is Rauschenberg at Tate M. Very much looking forward to that one

Edited by mjazzg

13 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I also liked that there were names to discover amongst the heavy-hitters- Joan Mitchell, Sam Francis and Aaron Siskind - but that probably says more about my ignorance than anything else.

Next up for me is Rauschenberg at Tate M. Very much looking forward to that one

I only learned about Siskind recently.  I haven't seen a full exhibit, but I have gone through a few monographs.

If the weather cooperates, I'll be heading to Buffalo on Sat. to go to the Albright-Knox.  The collection is quite strong (I try to go about once a year), and right now they have a mini-exhibit on Picasso.

• 3 weeks later...

Took in some shows while on a short trip to NYC this past week:

I'm a Beckmann fan and this was a very fine exhibit at the Met, not too small, not too large, nicely curated. 

MaxBeckmann_LandingPage_GridView_1040x10

An artist new to me, but this exhibit at Met Breuer packed a punch.  I'd rate it a must-see:

KJM_Landing_Page_Grid_View_Large_and_Med

Incredible artifacts at Met:

Diker_LandingPage_GridView_1040x1040_101

I was not wowed by the Picabia at MOMA.  I had nagging doubts about his artistry:

9.%20Aello%20crop.jpg?sha=0960792fdb35dc

A Revolutionary Impulse: The Rise of the Russian Avant-Garde at MOMA.  It's a dismal irony to think that Stalin erased this revolutionary artistic fervor, if not the artists themselves. 

789_1998_ricr.jpg?sha=41860122add3c1aa

A lot of art worth seeing. 

Edited by Leeway

I saw the Marshall Mastry exhibit in Chicago.  Yes, it is quite strong, and I came away from it with more appreciation of his art.

I really wish I could see the Beckmann exhibit, but it just isn't in the cards.  I'll likely pick up the catalog, however.

The Mystical Landscape exhibit at the AGO is a bit of a mixed bag, but some nice paintings throughout.  I've been a few times. 

Another visit, on a very busy final day, to Abstract Expressionism at the RA in London. As on the previous visit, Pollock and Smith stand out and Newman provides a counterpoint to so much of the other art on display. Mitchell and Francis once again demanded attention.

Great to have had such a multi-artist review of so many "big names" in close proximity. It demanded a lot of attention and concentration but by and large paid dividends. 

Finally got to go see the staggeringly comprehensive Degas retrospective at the MFAH today. It was fairly crowded even on a weekday afternoon, not too surprising given that this is its only stop in North America and there are less than two weeks remaining before it closes. May try to pay another visit if I'm able to squeeze it in, as the sheer size of the exhibit certainly lends itself to multiple visits just to fully digest the works on display. 

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/the-degas-exhibit-at-the-mfah-is-powerful-indeed-8888722

the-cotton-exchange-new-orleans.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BFrank said:

Diebenkorn/Matisse at SFMOMA. Go see it if you're in the Bay Area. A real eye-opener, but important to get the audio tour to fully understand the relationship.

Really like D's stuff, but sadly he's rarely seen in this country.

• 6 months later...