Last art exhibition you visited?

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

Knocked out today by the Sophie Taeuber-Arp currently at Tate Modern.  What a fantastically adept artist she was across so many disciplines.

Tate Modern has done good work recently highlighting significant female artists who have often been overshadowed by their husbands and probably because of their multi-disciplinary approach to the 'Applied Arts' - Sonia Delauney, Anni Albers and now this show.  each one a revelatory exhibition in its own right.

And yesterday, it was good to acquaint myself with the paintings of Jennifer Packer on our annual trip to see the Serpentine's Summer Pavilion.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Knocked out today by the Sophie Taeuber-Arp currently at Tate Modern.  What a fantastically adept artist she was across so many disciplines.

Tate Modern has done good work recently highlighting significant female artists who have often been overshadowed by their husbands and probably because of their multi-disciplinary approach to the 'Applied Arts' - Sonia Delauney, Anni Albers and now this show.  each one a revelatory exhibition in its own right.

And yesterday, it was good to acquaint myself with the paintings of Jennifer Packer on our annual trip to see the Serpentine's Summer Pavilion.

Unfortunately, here I don't have access to this tempting fare, but I did go to Liverpool a month ago to see this year's John Moores Exhibition which has been the starting point for so many British painters. My first visit was in 1972 when Euan Uglow won the prize.

• 3 months later...

Noguchi at The Barbican Art Gallery.  Learnt a lot

Late Constable at The Royal Academy.  Failed in its stated attempt to recast Constable as a modern master as far as I could see. Some great paintings and sketches nonetheless

Edited by mjazzg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

x

21 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Going to the Stuart Davis exhibition this afternoon at IU’s Eskenazi Museum of Art:

Swing Landscape: Stuart Davis and the Modernist Mural

I wish that was nearer...

I saw a very good Helen Frankenthaler woodcuts exhibition yesterday at the Dulwich Picture Gallery

https://www.dulwichpicturegallery.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/2021/may/helen-frankenthaler-radical-beauty/

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Good thread! Somehow missed it. Went to the Whitney today. Last weekend went to the Newport Annual Flower Show (that's art too). 

Did you see the Jaune Quick-to-See Smith?  I thought that was a very interesting exhibit by an artist I wasn't familiar with.

1993_Genesis_JQTSS_024-header.jpg

I also saw the Hokusai show in Boston, which was a lot of fun.

20230323_134623-1-1024x630.jpg

(Yes, this is The Great Wave made out of Lego...)

47 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

Did you see the Jaune Quick-to-See Smith?  I thought that was a very interesting exhibit by an artist I wasn't familiar with.

1993_Genesis_JQTSS_024-header.jpg

I also saw the Hokusai show in Boston, which was a lot of fun.

20230323_134623-1-1024x630.jpg

(Yes, this is The Great Wave made out of Lego...)

I saw neither. We will return. I can't spend more than two uninterrupted hours in a show, otherwise I begin to lose concentration and interest...We just covered the selections from the permanent collection on the 7th floor. 

https://whitney.org/exhibitions/collection-1900-to-1965

My teenager son was most impressed with the show of Calder's puppets and the accompanying film. 

I liked seeing Marsden Hartley's pictures. He could do so much on a small canvas!

• 4 months later...

I made the trip out to Montreal to catch the Marisol retrospective.  It's in Montreal through Jan.

https://www.mbam.qc.ca/en/exhibitions/marisol/

Then I think it goes to Toledo. It ends up in Buffalo (the Albright-Knox actually organized this exhibit) in mid 2024, and then Dallas in early 2025.  I'll likely head over to Buffalo as there are minor variations in what is on view, depending on each venue.  However, I think if you go to either Montreal/Toledo and either Dallas/Buffalo you see all the pieces, certainly the all the major sculptures.

Two rooms of Joan Mitchell at Tate Modern, just fantastic. We need a major show of her works over here.

Before, Marina Abromavic major chronological retrospective at Royal Academy. For me an exhibition of two halves, the first half very impactful. The second half, a lot less

Yesterday, Lyonel Feininger retrospective exhibition, Schirn Kunsthalle Frankfurt am Main. The first time a complete overview is presented, not just his famous paintings of architecture, but also early carricatures, children's toys, drawings, photographs. Highly recommended. Very good biographical accounts.

https://www.schirn.de/ausstellungen/2023/lyonel_feininger/

csm_23.10.26_SCHIRN_Feininger_Opening_EK

My favourite painting from the exhibition.

Edited by mikeweil

30 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Yesterday, Lyonel Feininger retrospective exhibition, Schirn Kunsthalle Frankfurt am Main. The first time a complete overview is presented, not just his famous paintings of architecture, but also early carricatures, children's toys, drawings, photographs. Highly recommended. Very good biographical accounts.

https://www.schirn.de/ausstellungen/2023/lyonel_feininger/

csm_23.10.26_SCHIRN_Feininger_Opening_EK

My favourite painting from the exhibition.

That does look good

• 1 month later...

I was looking at Quick-To-See Smith's work online yesterday after a couple of mentions here. Looks very interesting. Can't see any of it travelling here but we can live in hope.

Wiley we have had some

Edited by mjazzg