Rachmaninoff

Every now and then we used to sing some Rachmaninoff in high school / college. I always loved his very bottom heavy arrangements for voice. And obviously his abilities as a pianist as well.

Where to start as far as CDs are concerned? I have nothing, but I think I would lean more towards choral and solo piano.

Thanks!

Rachmaninov is most famous for his 4 piano concertos, of which 2 and 3 are by far the most popular. His Paganini Variations for piano and orchestra are also a good place to start.

Symphonic Dances is also my favourite orchestral work. Another work I love is The bells, for orchestra, choir ans solo singers. Other important orchestral works are his 2nd symphony and Isle of the dead

As far as solo piano works go, I like his Preludes op.23 and 32, as well as the two suites for two pianos.

Some CDs in the midprice and budget price range I have and can recommend (excellent interpretation and sound):

- Symphonic dances + Isle of the dead (Naxos) http://www.cduniverse.com/music/pid/1042369/

- Piano concertos 2 + 3 (Janis) http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1191881 (also available on SACD)

- Preludes op. 23 + 32 + Sonata 2 (Ashkenazy): http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1170222

Edited by Claude

I am also a fan of Rachmaninoff. Rachmaninoff is proof that you don't have to make music "of your time" to make great music for all time.

Although I am not a huge fan of Horowitz in general, this recording of the third piano concerto has a special place in my heart. In fact, Rachmaninoff apparently composed it with Horowitz in mind. Really moving.

B00004TCPJ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I am also a fan of Rachmaninoff. Rachmaninoff is proof that you don't have to make music "of your time" to make great music for all time.

Although I am not a huge fan of Horowitz in general, this recording of the third piano concerto has a special place in my heart. In fact, Rachmaninoff apparently composed it with Horowitz in mind. Really moving.

B00004TCPJ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

No offense to your heart, but you gotta get the Reiner version over this one.

Every now and then we used to sing some Rachmaninoff in high school / college. I always loved his very bottom heavy arrangements for voice. And obviously his abilities as a pianist as well.

Where to start as far as CDs are concerned? I have nothing, but I think I would lean more towards choral and solo piano.

Thanks!

For solo piano, try the Etudes-tableaux; probably can't go wrong with Ashkenazy here.

Edited by Epithet

• 1 year later...

Some favorites:

Preludes

Sonata 2, etc

Isle of the Dead / PC 2

Cello/Piano

Convenient Choral Collection

Richter

Not up to speed on current recordings of Vespers.

Check sound samples on Amazon for the songs. Find a voice you can live with - not always easy.

If you want to hear the man himself: http://www.amazon.com/Rachmaninov-Recordin...760&sr=8-12

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Clem would find it "soggy" (61 minutes) but the recording of the 2nd symphony by Edward Downes/BBC Philharmonic is a desert island disc for me. It was a "bonus disc" with the BBC Music mag, but I have seen it in used bins. No edits, all notes played and recorded and wonderful for me. Recorded by the Chandos team in 1994, so it might eventually see commercial release. If you stumble upon it, spend a couple of bucks.

• 7 years later...