Vinyl transfer services

mikeb

Don't know abought bought-in services but it's not too difficult to do yourself, if you have a deck and the appropriate interconnects. Just hook up an Soundblaster card to the 'line in' and use Soundblaster's software. I use an external Soundblaster card with temporary cables between computer room and lounge to hook the system up. Results are quite good !

Here are some very detailed instructions: http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm

Doing such transfers only takes a lot of time if you want to clean the sound by manually cutting out pops. Seperating the various tracks (instead of just having one CD track per LP side) also takes a couple of minutes after you have a certain routine of visually detecting the track transitions in the recorded wav file. If you always listen to complete albums you don't necessarily need to do this.

I'm not sure commercial services would do all this work for a fair price.

Edited by Claude

hi chewy-chew-chew reporting here: if you want some advice, its make sure you can be there w/ them every step of the way through the process. DONT JUST HAND/SEND OFF YOUR LP'S DO SOME 2nd PARTY SERVICE. i dont care how reputable they are. my expierence is limited the west coast of US and i dunno where u are, but just be really careful

I used to make a living doing this - I give everything one run through CEDAR, which gets out about 90 percent of the noise - I use an audiophile turntable, high quality converters - send me the LP and I'll send you back a freee sample - I used to make masters for CD for Japanese companies that only had vinyl -