Herbie Mann Riverside LP Question

Herbie is credited with only taking his flutes and a bass clarinet to both these sessions.

On Sultry he plays the bass clt. on Lazy Bones

Great Ideas is out of my reach at present but I suspect he took it out of the case for one tune at least.

Herbie is credited with only taking his flutes and a bass clarinet to both these sessions.

On Sultry he plays the bass clt. on Lazy Bones

Great Ideas is out of my reach at present but I suspect he took it out of the case for one tune at least.

I thought Herbie plays bass clarinet exclusively on "Great Ideas of Western Mann"? Maybe he pulls the flute out of the case on the bonus track but not the original LP tracks? This is on my want list because I dig bass clarinet.

Later,

Kevin

I would like to give a hell yeah to that Buddy DeFranco Blues Bag recommendation. If you can find it on the Vee-Jay 2-on-1 with the Yusef Lateef album, the sound is better than on the later release by Koch Jazz.

You get Lee Morgan, Blakey and more. Buddy really tears into the big stick on this. The only trouble I have with it is the simple fact that he did not record with B cl more often!

BTW, the bonus cut on "Great Ideas..." may not even have Herbie on it. I have rad this from a couple different sources. Emusic has the album.

If I recall, "Sultry Serenade" is about 50/50 flute/no flute.

IF you dig bass clarinet, you might dig this with Tony Scott picking it up on a couple tunes, I think.

BTW, the bonus cut on "Great Ideas..." may not even have Herbie on it. I have rad this from a couple different sources. Emusic has the album.

I thought this might be the Blues for Tomorrow that showed up as a bonus track on lots of Riverside LPs.. features Ray Copeland, GiGi Gryce, Hawk, Trane etc.. if so it will sound a bit out of place on a Herbie Mann bass clarinet album.

BTW, the bonus cut on "Great Ideas..." may not even have Herbie on it.  I have rad this from a couple different sources.  Emusic has the album.

I thought this might be the Blues for Tomorrow that showed up as a bonus track on lots of Riverside LPs.. features Ray Copeland, GiGi Gryce, Hawk, Trane etc.. if so it will sound a bit out of place on a Herbie Mann bass clarinet album.

Fantasy put the wrong bonus track on the Mann CD. There is a Herbie Mann track on the Blues For Tomorrow album, called A Sad Thing, but instead someone accidentally added the title tune by an unrelated group. Very sloppy quality control. Don't know if they have issued corrected copies afterwards.

Yes they have corrected the error. Only the first pressing mistakenly had the title track of the Blues for Tomorrow anthology.

I sent the CD to them and got a replacement without a problem. :tup

The executive at Fantasy assured me they do waht they can to prevent such errors, but they keep creepin' in at places where noone expects them too.

• 3 years later...

Yes they have corrected the error. Only the first pressing mistakenly had the title track of the Blues for Tomorrow anthology.

The executive at Fantasy assured me they do waht they can to prevent such errors, but they keep creepin' in at places where noone expects them too.

I just got this CD only to be a little surprised to hear Hawk and Trane on the bonus track.

• 12 years later...
On 8/4/2003 at 3:32 AM, mikeweil said:

Mike - Over in another thread on Herbie Mann, this CD was brought up and I brought up the fixed version of this CD. Did Fantasy send you a new CD with corrected artwork or just a new CD with "A Sad Thing" on it? Did they fix the disc artwork as well or did they just remaster the CD with the right tack and use the same CD label? I cannot find any pictures of this CD with the corrected bonus track anywhere on line.

FWIW, I have never seen or owned a corrected version so I wonder how many there are out there. All of the ones for sale seem to be the original (incorrect) pressing.