Jason Moran, "Facing Left"

Bol

Could someone tell me on how many tracks Moran plays just the acoustic piano, and on how many he plays e-piano or organ? I like Moran, but would like to avoid this if it is full of e-piano/organ playing. Thanks in advance.

My first instinct when I read this was to get defensive and say, "What's wrong with organ?!? Why are you posting on a board run by an organ trio is you don't like organ, man?!?!? WHAT THE HELL, DUDE!?!?" :winky:

But then I started thinking: Moran is a brilliant pianist. But he is a pianist. I've heard pianists try to play organ before. It usually ain't pretty. So I understand that part of the comment.

However, electric piano is another story. Pianists can transfer their skills to that instrument quite easily. What gives?

-_-

He plays acoustic piano on all tracks, he overdubbed some electric piano and/or organ on some, but not all - I'd have to give it a closer listen to give the number. After a first listen I asked myself: Now where are the other keyboards? I mean, they not obtrusive in any way, used as a color more than anything else, but to very good effect.

Thanks to all. Those comments are very helpful. I'll try the recording when I get a chance. In response to b3-er's "What gives?", I can't offer any argument as to why I think organs and e-pianos are bad in jazz recordings. It's been my experience that I just don't like them when I hear them in jazz recordings. But maybe I'll change my mind one of these days. I used to feel the same way about e-guitars. But Kenny Dorham's "'Round Midnight at Cafe Bohemia" changed that. Now, I really like some of Burrell, Johnny Smith, Farlow, G. Green, Jim Hall, etc.

Edited by Bol