Grachan Moncur Mosaic Select box

Per a comment from AfricaBrass in this thread:

I'm on the fence about the Moncur set. I've got everything that has been out on cd already and I have the unreleased material on vinyl. On the old board, a few people brought up issues with the sound of the Moncur set. Any comments/suggestions? Should I hold off?

I thought it a good time to start a separate Moncur Select thread.

Grachan Moncur Mosaic Select

Edited by wesbed

I have already posted my comments on the BNBB. In my view there are issues with the sound.

I can only compare the Mosaic to the "Some other Stuff" and "Destination out" Connoisseurs (also remastered by Ron McMaster). Both sessions sound clearly better on the Connoisseurs. McMaster seems to have tried to eliminate all tape hiss, because the new remastering sounds completely hiss-free on quiet passages. But he has also cut off the overtones. It sounds artificial and processed.

"Evolution" and "One step beyond" are the best sounding sessions in the set.

So I wouldn't recommend the Mosaic to those wanting a sound upgrade. As far as the music is concerned, it is essential of course.

This is definately my favourite purchase of the year so far , if i see mr Moncur's name on the back of any Cds in future I'll take it as a recommendation. Its also opened my ears to Jackie McClean & i've gone back and bought a couple of Conns (Jacknife & Vertigo ) .

I think Bobby Hutcherson & Tony Williams sounded perfect together .

Any more recommendations in this style out there ??

If its Jackie you are after then "Let Freedom Ring" is a great place to start ( think it's due the RVG treatment later this year)

The Sam Rivers Mosaic is in a similar bag and highly recommended

Thanks clunky - it looks as if i'll have to keep a look out on Ebay for the Sam Rivers & see if it ever pops up .

• 11 months later...

I purchased the Grachan Moncur Select when it was initially released. I played it a couple of times, never even listened to all three disks, then placed the box on the shelf and felt content with my purchase. I didn’t play the Moncur Select too much, till recently, nearly a year later. I’ve been enjoying the set very much during the late evening hours. It sounds much better to me, after the sun goes down, and the night air moves in.

The set is a mixture of Moncur and McLean releases, with each player receiving about equal playing time. On one of the sets Wayne Shorter takes Jackie’s place along-side Moncur. Lee Morgan is present too. Tony Williams fills the space with his dependable drumming mystique.

I’m always surprised when a piece of music, that I’ve had shelved for nearly a year, suddenly speaks to me and makes me glad I had the music available for my listening pleasure. :tup

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...