the liberated genius of Keith Jarrett

CJ Shearn

Oh man...amen to that. I've thought for years that the person who can figure out a way to decouple Keith Jarrett from his vocal chords would be doing the jazz world a major favor. Unfortunately, even this wouldn't fix all the music he's already ruined, but it would pave the path to a brighter recording future. Talk about wasting an incredible talent. I love the way he plays, but I haven't been able to listen to him in years. Just think how great his "At the Blue Note" box would have been without the Jerry Lewis vocalizing.

The other Jarrett remediation project I could get behind is if someone took a hammer and some nails and attached his pants to his piano bench.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Oh man...amen to that. I've thought for years that the person who can figure out a way to decouple Keith Jarrett from his vocal chords would be doing the jazz world a major favor. Talk about wasting an incredible talent. I love the way he plays, but I haven't been able to listen to him in years. Unfortunately, even this wouldn't fix all the music he's already ruined, but it would pave the path to a brighter recording future. Just think how great his "At the Blue Note" box would have been without the Jerry Lewis vocalizing.

The other Jarrett remediation project I could get behind is if someone took a hammer and some nails and attached his pants to his piano bench.

Up over and out.

huh. I've never understood why people have a problem with this. I simply listen to the music. No problem.

Oh man...amen to that. I've thought for years that the person who can figure out a way to decouple Keith Jarrett from his vocal chords would be doing the jazz world a major favor. Talk about wasting an incredible talent. I love the way he plays, but I haven't been able to listen to him in years. Unfortunately, even this wouldn't fix all the music he's already ruined, but it would pave the path to a brighter recording future. Just think how great his "At the Blue Note" box would have been without the Jerry Lewis vocalizing.

Up over and out.

huh. I've never understood why people have a problem with this. I simply listen to the music. No problem.

You seriously don't find that it gets in the way of enjoying the music?

I was listening to Up For It the other day after listening to this parody and I cackled at the Keithgasms. I haven't heard a whole ton of Jarrett albums like many here, but the tune "Tributaries" during its slow rolling vamp, Keith just lets out an "AHHHHHHHH" that either sounds like a) hes being whipped in a dungeon, or b) someone with mental challenges. I was dying the first time I heard that, and I was playing it for a friend who likes funny noises, he was laughing so hard he almost had tears in his eyes. Ok, if so many ppl have issues with Keith's "vocals", I have never heard about people complaining about Jimmy Smith, I mean when I saw him live, JOS just leaned into the mic and just groaned like he was on the toilet. :rofl:

You seriously don't find that it gets in the way of enjoying the music?

Not really. Like Greg I tune it out pretty easily.

Guy

Not a problem for me either. And i wouldn't even say that i "tune it out." For me, it's as much a part of Jarrett's style as, well, as his piano playing style. It's all emotion...