Sam Phillips Died

JSngry

Sam Phillips left an extensive musical document of the incredibly rich blues scene around Memphis in the late 40s and early 50s. We should be very grateful to him for that. Nobody else was doing it at the time that Phillips started.

RIP

He was a businessman who went into the recording and record business. Unlike most of the other independent record label owners, he loved music. He also seemed to be as much of a free spirit as many of his artists were, and that's saying something.

I'd add "rest in peace", but somehow, at least in my mind, Sam Phillips and peace don't quite go together.

I guess I hope he keeps on having a good time.

Edited by paul secor

Terry Gross (of Fresh Air on NPR) replayed an interview she did with him in '97 this afternoon. A very interesting guy. Quite a character, aside from what he did.

Did you know that he was a big fan of John Phillip Sousa?

Did you know that he played the tuba, sousaphone and drums?

Soulstream, Jim, and John L., you're right on about the Sun blues story. I LOVE that stuff. I have a whole box of it that Charly put out called SUN RECORDS: THE BLUES YEARS. It's 9 CDs with a 44-page booklet, and jump on it if you ever see it. Unfortunately I think it's of questionable legality--in fact, I think some of these sets were seized and destroyed. But it's really an amazing compendium of what Phillips was up to long before Elvis.

Agreed. I've got some Charly re-issues of early Sun blues/R&B on vinyl and it is a valued part of my collection. But GoM, you say some of those sets were "seized and destroyed"???? What the HELL???