Anti-recommendations

AfricaBrass

I rarely buy a cd that I'm really unhappy with, but one of the dangers of being open to new things is the occasional DUD.

I hate the feeling when I spend $16 on a cd that is just plain crap.

I did this recently.

The cd was John Zorn's "Songs From the Hermetic Theatre"

I knew before I bought it that it was one of his composer series issues. That's cool, I like classical music. I even like a lot of 20th experimental stuff and some experimental Industrial music. I'm pretty open-minded.

Heck, I already have over 20 of Zorn's cds. I appreciate much of what he's doing, but this cd is terrible. It's like amateur attempts at experimental music. I could describe the cd track by track, but then I'd have to listen to it again. I forced myself to listen to it 3 times already and I hated it more with each listen. I got madder and madder at myself for buying this instead of something else. I keep thinking of all the good cds I passed up.

:rmad::excited::rmad:

Do any of you have any similar cds that you'd like to warn us about?

I’m in the same boat, AfricaBrass. It’s very rare to run across something that’s a complete waste of time and money. Now, I’m not much into fusion or anything approaching a ’70’s vibe. So I don’t think it’s fair to slam something that falls within my blind spot. Unless I can entertain myself while poking fun at my limitations, that is.

I was very disappointed by Mobley’s torpid playing on Thinking Of Home. Almost like he was saying, “I just don’t give a shit anymore.” Nearly the aural equivalent of being flipped off. If I’d heard this before buying it, I would have spent my money on something else. But it was Mobley, how could it be a clinker? Besides, there seem to be all kinds of people with tastes similar to mine that actually like this record. Expectation can be a terrible thing when disappointed.

Was it really that bad? I gave Thinking Of Home a second and even third spin recently and no, I’m not about to say I’ve found something intriguing that I’d missed before, but I did notice something. Recorded in 1970, Hank was tinkering with elements of the era. I’m now unclear as to if diminished capacity or interest was a factor, but even the production values lean toward that ’70’s sound. So while I don’t like the recording, at least I can make peace with my expectations and chalk it up to that ’70’s blind spot.

Then there’s the matter of Lester Young’s final recordings for Verve…

I really didn't like Charlie Haden's "American Dreams". Took it back to the store the next day, in fact. Yuck! Horrible string arrangements! Michael Brecker plays a version of Stephen Bishop's "It Might Be You" (or whatever the hell that song from "Tootsie" is called) that sounds worse than the original recording, if that's possible. Very disappointing, especially considering a line-up that included Brad Mehldau AND Brian Blade!

I also didn't care for Von Freeman's "The Improvisior", which was one of the most praised albums of 2002. I despised his sound from the get-go (a common problem, I later learned. People either love Freeman or hate him), and the recording quality was poor. There was some horrible feedback on the first two tracks that I just couldn't *stop* paying attention to. Drove me crazy! Got rid of it right away.

Those are actually the only two albums that I've gotten rid of that fast. Usually I'll hold on to an album, even one I don't like, on the chance that I'll come back to it six months or a year later with a different POV. But these two albums pissed me off SO MUCH that I just had to be rid of them after one or two listenings.

I'm with ya on the Charlie Haden, Alexander. I bought it based on the presence of Mehldau and Blade also. And I also liked his last leader date, Nocturne, so I figured this one should be worth it. But I'm having problems getting into it as well. I haven't decided to jettison it yet, but it's not looking good so far.

By the way, is it ok to take back cds simply because you don't like the music on it? I've never tried this before. I've always assumed you could only take cds back if they're damaged or something.

I hate to say it, but I got burned on a Wes Montgomery disc once. If memory serves, it was a compiltation of pop tunes with string backgrounds---I think it was on A&M, and the tracks were recorded in the 1970s?? I hated it, and it soured me on Wes for a long time.

Now I KNOW all of Wes' material is not like this, but whenever I look to buying a new Wes, this bad experience goes through my mind!

By the way, is it ok to take back cds simply because you don't like the music on it? I've never tried this before. I've always assumed you could only take cds back if they're damaged or something.

Technically, you can only return an opened CD when it is damaged, and then you have to exchange it for an undamaged copy. I'm kind of a soft touch, though (don't spread it around), and if you are *really* unhappy with the CD, and you bought it recently (the day before, usually) I'll sometimes look the other way and let you exchange it. I do *not*, however, give cash or credit refunds for opened items. Exchange only!

I'd really have to dislike something to even consider returning it. If it's just not my thing, I'll usually trade it at a used store, which is what I did with the Haden and the Freeman.

Thanks for the warnings!

I've never returned a cd to a store because I didn't like it. I have wished I could, but I worked in too many record stores when I was younger to do a thing like that. I hated when people would bring a cd back and I couldn't accept it as a return (the guy I worked for was a real a-hole and he was adament about not accept returned cds). I did bend and let some people exchange cds. We had a policy that if it played on the store cd player than we couldn't take it back. I have to admit that I did put cds into the player that worked fine, but with a little creative button maneuvering. The cds sounded like they skipped. :P

Wes Montgomery's Willow Weep for Me. I was already wary about it, given that it was a live recording with string/brass overdubs, but it's Claus Ogerman, who I usually like.

Boy was I wrong.

To add insult to injury, I bought it used from a store with a crappy return policy. :angry: So I've still got it. [sigh] :(

Wes Montgomery's Willow Weep for Me. I was already wary about it, given that it was a live recording with string/brass overdubs, but it's Claus Ogerman, who I usually like.

Boy was I wrong.

To add insult to injury, I bought it used from a store with a crappy return policy. :angry: So I've still got it. [sigh] :(

Didn't Ogerman arrange Wes Montgomery's "Tequila" and if so was it any better?

Didn't Ogerman arrange Wes Montgomery's "Tequila" and if so was it any better?

Oh yeah! In fact, it's my favorite Wes Montgomery album! He plays in a piano-less organ-less setting, with minimal subtle backings by Ogerman. I think it's Ogerman's best work outside of anything he did with Jobim. Which is what made Willow so hard to take.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought "Complete Don Wilkerson Blue Note Recordings" was a real clinker. Talk about uninspiring play! The man seems devoid of ideas. I bought the set because of Grant Green, but I couldn't imagine that the tenor player would be so boring.

I dumpled the cds as quickly as if I had picked up a snapping turtle in a pond.

Damn, my hand is still sore.

For me the Wilkerson is not the kind of stuff I can sit down and listen closely to, picking out all the intracacies I haven't heard before. It's most pleasing if you're doing something else with it on, maybe having a barbecue or something...mmmm, think I may do just that if it ever stops snowing up here!

I've gotten used to the fact that the Wilkerson isn't some people's cup of tea. For me, his Blue Notes remain very high on my list of all-time favs. So, to each his own. His brand of tenor straddles the line too much for some between r&b and soul-jazz. Great combination in my book. These 3 wilkerson albums were a departure from BN's usual stuff, but I would not call it uninspired playing at all. Quite the contrary imho. Grant green is burning on these.

As for stuff to stay away from in my opinion...anything past 1972. ;)

Edited by Soul Stream

You guys are making me wonder if I should give it another try. Too bad I no longer own the set.

I have ended up by rebuying stuff that I had discarded after one or two cursory spins. Some of them I grew to like; others never grew on me.

Another disappointing cd for me is Freddie Roach, "Good Move." I love jazz organ, but aside from a couple of songs, I could not get into this disc.