The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records

Yes, I'm reading it at the moment. So far its :tup - very well presented and I particularly like the features on about 40 selected Impulse sessions. Good coverage also on some of the label's more obscure titles (e.g. 'Cosmic Music'). Would have liked to have seen a bit more coverage on Yusef Lateef's leader sessions (the book should have included a feature on 'Live At Peps' IMO).

I bought this the other day but I haven't even opened it up. If prior performance is any kind of indication, this should be a very interesting book. The other two Kahn's I've read (Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme) were both excellent and very informative reads.

Up over and out.

I've skimmed parts of it, and have been very impressed so far. Very nicely done, thorough, tons of pictures, discography, 2-page sections dedicated to some of the important recordings...

I can't help but thinking that it would be great if Mr. Kahn did something similar for Blue Note Records. Richard Cook's book pales in comparison.

When I get around to this I hope I like it more than his previous two "Makings of" books. I liked the material in those for the most part, but something about his writing just makes me want to stop reading.

Much as I often agree with jazzbo's assessment, I've got to disagree with him on this one. I read "A Love Supreme" on my summer vacation and could hardly put it down. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it is. I really enjoyed the section about van Gelder and his famous studio. Looking forward now to the new book.

For those in London Ashley Kahn is giving a talk about the book on Thursday 17 August at Ray's Jazz @ Foyles on Charing Cross Road from 6-7. The flyer I picked up also says that Denys Baptiste (Let Freedom Ring, Jazz Jamaica) will be playing Impulse! tracks on the night.

Should be a fun evening!

When I get around to this I hope I like it more than his previous two "Makings of" books. I liked the material in those for the most part, but something about his writing just makes me want to stop reading.

Much as I often agree with jazzbo's assessment, I've got to disagree with him on this one. I read "A Love Supreme" on my summer vacation and could hardly put it down. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it is. I really enjoyed the section about van Gelder and his famous studio. Looking forward now to the new book.

Well, maybe it's just me. It's just that in those two previous books there was little that I actually learned that I had not read elsewhere. . . . Admittedly I read obsessively about jazz for a few decades and just stopped finally recently, but . . . there wasn't much new there, and he never seemed to go to another level with the material for me.

I'll probably pick this one up at some point this year or next and maybe I'll enjoy it more.

I've skimmed parts of it, and have been very impressed so far. Very nicely done, thorough, tons of pictures, discography, 2-page sections dedicated to some of the important recordings...

I can't help but thinking that it would be great if Mr. Kahn did something similar for Blue Note Records. Richard Cook's book pales in comparison.

I couldn't agree more about Cook's Blue Note book. Seems like he phoned it in. I've read the Impulse book and liked it.

For those in London Ashley Kahn is giving a talk about the book on Thursday 17 August at Ray's Jazz @ Foyles on Charing Cross Road from 6-7. The flyer I picked up also says that Denys Baptiste (Let Freedom Ring, Jazz Jamaica) will be playing Impulse! tracks on the night.

Should be a fun evening!

I can feel a possible half day trip to London coming on !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any opinions on the "companion" 4-disc set? I usually stay away from compilations like this (only because I eventually discover that I want all of the individual releases), but there's a whole bunch of music I haven't heard on these four discs:

Disc 1

1. Where Flamingos Fly / Gil Evans 5:14

2. Stolen Moments / Oliver Nelson 8:48

3. Greensleeves / John Coltrane 10:00

4. Alamode / Art Blakey 6:49

5. Honeysuckle Rose / Benny Carter 3:53

6. Trey of Hearts / Count Basie 3:45

7. Samba Para Bean / Coleman Hawkins 5:28

8. Too Young to Go Steady / John Coltrane 4:24

9.Snap Crackle / Roy Haynes 4:13

10. Chocolate Shake / Freddie Hubbard 3:59

11. Impressions / John Coltrane 4:36

12. Theme for Lester Young (Aka "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat") / Charles Mingus 5:50

Disc 2

1. My One and Only Love / Johnny Hartman 4:57

2. Salt and Pepper / Sonny Stitt 7:52

3. Forest Flower - Sunrise/Forest Flower - Sunset / Chico Hamilton 10:37

4. T 'N' a Blues / McCoy Tyner 4:06

5. Someone to Watch Over Me / Ben Webster 4:31

6. Sister Mamie / Yusef Lateef 5:29

7. A Love Supreme, Pt. 1: Acknowledgement / John Coltrane 7:45

8. Rapid Shave / Shirley Scott 8:30

9. Los Olvidados / John Coltrane 8:56

10. Ask Me Now! / Pee Wee Russell 2:28

Disc 3

1. Black and Tan Fantasy / Earl Hines 5:14

2. Alfie's Theme / Sonny Rollins 9:45

3. Spanish Rice / Chico O'Farrill 2:47

4. Mama Too Tight / Archie Shepp 5:25

5. Gypsy Queen / Gabor Szabo 5:14

6. Larry of Arabia / Chico Hamilton 5:12

7. Our Prayer / Albert Ayler 4:48

8. Offering / John Coltrane 8:27

9. Journey in Satchidananda / Alice Coltrane 6:37

10. War Orphans / Charlie Haden 6:42

Disc 4

1. Stolen Moments / John Coltrane 6:30

2. The Creator Has a Master Plan / Pharoah Sanders 32:48

3. India / Gato Barbieri 8:57

4. The Rich (And the Poor) / Keith Jarrett 9:26

5. Hard Work / John Coltrane 6:59

6. Walk With Me / Alice Coltrane 7:49

This box set, and most (if not all) of the single-disc compilations are now in yourmusic.com, $5.99/disc

I finished and enjoyed this book, but it sure seemed like he skated over any and all hard Q's.

What hard questions? I also enjoyed the book, but I'm curious about what hard questions weren't asked -- what was "glossed over"?

I think Simon Weil touched on this earlier. What "edge" is this book missing?

Edited by Uncle Skid

• 2 years later...

If you are in London and still don't have a copy of this book, Fopp in Earlham Street WC2 has a number of hardback editions for just £4.

Why is it all the good stuff is available in London whenever I haven't visited in a while. As soon as I head in, they'll sell out. ;) Thanks for the info - Any other of the Kahn books in this sale? (e.g. the Kind of Blue).

• 7 years later...

I read this last month.  I enjoyed it, but I felt that the author had a pre-conceived point to make, and he didn't give much weight to evidence that contradicted his thesis.

When I started buying jazz albums in 1966, the two Impulse! artists I found most often in the record store bins were Chico Hamilton and Gabor Szabo.  But their presence didn't fit the author's narrative, so he didn't devote much space to them.