Kenny Dorham Corner

GA Russell

I have already recommended these Barney Wilens on other KD threads (there are two volumes)

B000008A1C.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Prime Dorham caught live at the Club Saint-Germain in Paris, with Duke Jordan on piano!

Thanks, Brownie, for mentioning this. I found a copy today of the Japanese RCA LP version of one of the volumes, the one with with "Jordu" on it. Everyone's in fine form, but Jordan is just on fire, both as a soloist and as a comper, and KD's solo on "Besame Mucho" is one of his very best.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wondered why I overlooked to post in this thread .... anyway, I always loved every Kenny Dorham I heard on record. Always liked him a lot more than Miles, trumpet wise and from the vibes I get from him.

A real special trumpet player, and a great composer as well.

If he's still not in the down beat hall of fame it's a shame!

Very interesting post, Mark -- raises some interesting questions, too, for those of us who admire both KD and Shaw but perhaps wonder at times whether the presence of diatonic linking notes in KD led to more/deeper continuity, potential variety, while the absence of them in Shaw boxed him into a corner or atmosphere of striving and strain, however noble and necessary it might have been to be there. I guess I'm saying, in part, that you can't chose what your temperaament as an artist is and how your temperament and talents fit into the your historical position, i.e. what's open to be done at a particular point in the continuum.

I had Trumpeta Toccata set for May in my Your Music queue, but since you are all so high on it I will bump it up to the top for next month.

When I bought Trumpeta Toccata I sort of assumed it would be good enough but kind of an "also ran" Dorham album, but no. There's something really wonderful about it. I think you'll dig it.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I put Quiet Kenny on tonight for the first time in a few months. It really is a good, simple album. Really enjoyed it. Everyone should have it!

Agree!

I'm really starting to realize that its very difficult to go wrong when you've got Tommy Flanagan in your band.