Kenny Dorham Corner

GA Russell

I remember reading many years ago, probably in the late 70s or early 80s, a letter to the editor in Downbeat lamenting the fact that it didn't look like Kenny Dorham would ever be elected to the Readers Poll Hall of Fame.

I haven't avoided Dorham over the years; his name just never seemed to come up. I'm pretty sure that the only thing of his I had was a few sideman recordings included in the Charlie Parker Live Savoy box.

The last week of April Doug Ramsey in his Rifftides blog wrote at some length, giving the highest praise to the new RVG remaster of Quiet Kenny. Ramsey gave a couple of sentences to the other RVGs as a group, but went on and on about the Dorham album.

So I decided to get Quiet Kenny, and I've been listening to it for the past ten days. I wouldn't go overboard about it, but I will say that it is exactly the sort of album I liked best when I was in colege - no frills, unpretentious and low key. I enjoy it a lot.

The sidemen are Tommy Flanagan, Paul Chambers and Art Taylor, so that's a good start right there. From the title I expected it to be a ballads album, but it's not. There are a few uptempo numbers, but all the cuts are relaxed.

Since I know so little about Dorham, I thought some of you here could suggest other recordings of his that you like. The liner notes say that he played with Art Blakey and Max Roach during the 50s.

Anybody else have an opinion or comment about Kenny Dorham?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of KD fans here. I'm sure a lot of people will make suggestions.

For some reason, I think that Quiet Kenny was one of the very earliest CDs I bought. Instant classic for me, but one I haven't listened to in a while. I'm going to put that on, and also suggest Whistle Stop.

I'm a big fan of Quiet Kenny, and I love the RVG, a great reissue.

KD was quite a guy and player. I think his work is pretty uniformly topnotch. I like the Riversides and the Blue Notes a lot. I'd get the two cd Cafe Bohemia, it's a good place to start. . . .

Been a big fan of "Kinny" since the 1960s.

My longtime favs are

'Inta Somethin' w/Jackie McLean

'Jazz Contrasts' w/Sonny Rollins, Hank Jones, Oscar Pettiford, Max Roach and a harpist on a few tracks.

(wonderful Rollins)

All his work on Blue Note as leader and sideman is worth having.

Edited by flat5

Don't know if it's available at present, but a prime KD album from about the same period as "Quiet Kenny" (maybe a year later) is his first (of two, the other of tunes from "Showboat") on the Time label, "Jazz Contemporary," with Charles Davis, Steve Kuhn, Butch Warren or Jimmy Garrison on bass, and drummer Buddy Enlow. A nice recording too, Earle Brown at the controls.

Don't know if it's available at present, but a prime KD album from about the same period as "Quiet Kenny" (maybe a year later) is his first (of two, the other of tunes from "Showboat") on the Time label, "Jazz Contemporary," with Charles Davis, Steve Kuhn, Butch Warren or Jimmy Garrison on bass, and drummer Buddy Enlow. A nice recording too, Earle Brown at the controls.

Love that record (Jazz Contemporary)!!

Being a KD fanatic, I have a bunch of favorites (won't mention the ones that have already been named):

Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers (under Horace's leadership)

At the Cafe Bohemia Vol. 1 and 2 (under Art Blakey's leadership)

Afro-Cuban (under Kenny's leadership)

In 'n Out (under Joe Henderson's leadership)

Point of Departure (under Andrew Hill's leadership)

Trompeta Tocatta (under Kenny's leadership)

Kenny Dorham was great, no doubt about it. As usual, the albums I would recommend have been mentioned over and over already, but I'll put in another vote for Whistle Stop and Round About Midnight At the Cafe Bohemia, both essential Dorham albums. Then there's his work with Joe Henderson...

• 8 months later...

I was slow to warm to Kenny, because at first all I had was the airshots he did with Bird, and they are great, but the sound is not excellent, and Bird overshadows everyone else. (And I was a lot younger then, and less appreciative.)

But the Blue Notes are awesome - all listed above - and so are the other albums they list. You have some great listening ahead of you!

He and Joe Henderson make a fantastic blend! Jazz at its finest.

Kenny Dorham is one of my very favorite trumpet players. He adds something special to almost every recording on which he plays. As a few others have mentioned, his Cafe Bohemia dates with Blakey are great.

Here are some of the many other sessions on which he plays (not yet mentioned) that I like a lot.

Sonny Rollins - Movin' Out

Tadd Dameron - Fontainbleau

Presenting Ernie henry

Herb Geller - Fire In The West

Kenny Dorham - Blue Spring

Milt Jackson - Invitation

Kenny Dorham Memorial Album - Jaro/Xanadu/Fresh Sound

Clifford Jordan Starting Time

Barry Harris - Bulls-Eye

Cedar Walton - Trio/Quartet/Quintet