Is it jazz?

Not that I think it really matters except for helping you remember where you filed it, but no, clearly not a jazz album. A very good pop record, though, and that's not faint praise coming from me as it might be from some others.

thanks guys, but listen to the album again. remember "we've got to have some Brubeck for the new frontier!"

also IGY, they sure sound a little jazzy to me! but now the real purpose of the thread . . . .

just what IS jazz anyway!

:w

If they play it on any sort of commercial radio...then it's not jazz. ;)

I might naturally be inclined to alpha everything "all together" as was suggested above, but then my wife would scream bloody murder cuz she'd have to wade through hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of discs she has no interest in at all (never!!), just to browse the 300 or 400 that she would be interested in.

I've got everything split into the following categories...

[*]Pop/Rock (everything)

[*]Classical (that my wife will listen to, 19th Century and before, and select 20th Century composers)

[*]Classical (that my wife won't listen to, basically all my weird and/or atonal (often serial) 'classical' music)

[*]Jazz (the 90% that my wife won't listen to)

[*]Jazz (the 10% , mostly piano trios and similar jazz with no horns, that she will listen to)

Oh - as far as the question about where to file "donald fagan", definitely in "Pop/Rock", without any doubt.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

And do you label these categories, Rooster, to help her?

"Honey, You've Shown In The Past You Like These"

:P

My filing system is simple-Jazz and Everything Else. No sub-organizing, and with the expansion of slimline cases with burns plus the near-to-capacity shelves, its still not so easy to find stuff, since a lot of CDs are resting horizontally in the gap between the vertical CDs and the shelf above, and sometimes the shortage of space sends them a significant "distance" away from their alphabetical spot. :(

I might naturally be inclined to alpha everything "all together" as was suggested above, but then my wife would scream bloody murder cuz she'd have to wade through hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of discs she has no interest in at all (never!!), just to browse the 300 or 400 that she would be interested in.

I've got everything split into the following categories...

[*]Pop/Rock (everything)

[*]Classical (that my wife will listen to, 19th Century and before, and select 20th Century composers)

[*]Classical (that my wife won't listen to, basically all my weird and/or atonal (often serial) 'classical' music)

[*]Jazz (the 90% that my wife won't listen to)

[*]Jazz (the 10% , mostly piano trios and similar jazz with no horns, that she will listen to)

Oh - as far as the question about where to file "donald fagan", definitely in "Pop/Rock", without any doubt.

here are my catagories, all are alphabetized within:

Jazz

Big band

Rock/pop

Classical

Country (my Wife's)

Kids

Religious/Comedy (they both share the same drawer <ggg>)

Wife's (non-country)

Reggae

Ska

Misc.

Musicals/Soundtracks

Quite eclectic, but i always have something good to listen to!

My collection is organized thusly:

Jazz

Pop/Rock/Country/Blues/Funk/Soul

Folk

Classical

My CDs are alphabetized by artist, and then filed chronologically by recording date (if known).

In my collection, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and Rosemary Clooney are all filed under "jazz," as are Benny Goodman and other Big Band/Swing artists.

As to what, exactly, jazz is: As Fats Waller once said: If you don't know, for heaven's sake don't mess with it!