"The Lighthouse All-Stars" tonight on Night Lights

jazzconcertsfront.jpg

This week on Night Lights it's "The Lighthouse All-Stars." In 1949 former Stan Kenton bassist Howard Rumsey began a series of Sunday afternoon performances at the Lighthouse Cafe in Hermosa Beach, California, a club that had formerly catered mostly to merchant marines and other sailors. These jam sessions eventually spawned the collective known as the Lighthouse All-Stars, featuring many of the 1950s' best West Coast jazz musicians--Bud Shank, Bob Cooper, Shorty Rogers, Shelly Manne, and others. The group made a number of albums for the Contemporary label, and we'll hear selections from those, including "Witch Doctor," "Blue Sands," "Topsy," and many more. "The Lighthouse All-Stars" airs at 11:05 p.m. EST Saturday, June 10 on WFIU and at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNIN-Evansville; western Michigan listeners in the Lower Peninsula can hear it at 10 p.m. EST Sunday evening on Blue Lake Public Radio, FM 90.3 and 88.8. You can read more about the Lighthouse Cafe and its jazz history on this page. The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Night Lights archives.

Next week on WFIU: "Jazz Cameos."

Next week on WNIN and Blue Lake: "The Man Before Miles: Freddie Webster."

Edited by ghost of miles

I greatly enjoyed the program, which was both entertaining and educational for me because, for some inexplicable reason, I've never heard the original recordings of the All-Stars, only the reunion discs in the 80s. (Although I might've heard a track or three from Lazaro sometime in the past two decades, and overlooked it). The original recordings far out-shine in capturing an ellusive energy. Great stuff. I have heard scads of records by all the individual members of the Lighthouse All-Stars. The root stuff has the stinkin' appeal, though. I'm going to seek that out. I loved the hour.

I greatly enjoyed the program, which was both entertaining and educational for me because, for some inexplicable reason, I've never heard the original recordings of the All-Stars, only the reunion discs in the 80s. (Although I might've heard a track or three from Lazaro sometime in the past two decades, and overlooked it). The original recordings far out-shine in capturing an ellusive energy. Great stuff. I have heard scads of records by all the individual members of the Lighthouse All-Stars. The root stuff has the stinkin' appeal, though. I'm going to seek that out. I loved the hour.

over the weekend i caught .....turn out the..(2), and the pepper.

i loved them both very much, but the pepper is to die for.

.......so much thanks for sharing your exquisite taste. aloc....

There's some wonderful stuff on that Pepper Select, aloc--lately I've been getting into his Contemporary recordings, and thinking about doing a show based around them.

And glad you enjoyed the Lighthouse All-Stars show, Werf. I'm really psyched that the program's on in western Michigan--that area's near & dear to my heart. "The Lighthouse All-Stars" is now archived.

Edited by ghost of miles

There's some wonderful stuff on that Pepper Select, aloc--lately I've been getting into his Contemporary recordings, and thinking about doing a show based around them.

And glad you enjoyed the Lighthouse All-Stars show, Werf. I'm really psyched that the program's on in western Michigan--that area's near & dear to my heart. "The Lighthouse All-Stars" is now archived.

one of the cats jumped all over rumsey in a cadence interview i think, calling him a flat footed bass player. i'll try to find it.

while your delving into that lighthouse stuff, check out that early crusaders stuff, before they added the crappy guitars. blues uptight and scratch just cant be beat.

• 1 year later...

Up for rebroadcast this weekend on the same three stations at the same aforementioned times--as it's a repeat, you can already hear it archived online (and watch a video of a 1965 incarnation of the group, led by Bob Cooper).

Next week: "Satchmo, Take Two: Louis Armstrong at the Movies."

Edited by ghost of miles