Worst Mosaic Decision?

I know we do this from time to time... but I'm in the middle of digitizing my entire collection... and am reliving some of my Mosaic decisions...

For my money... the two clunkers.... were the Dinah Washington set (all those backup vocals are truly awful...) and the Chico Hamilton set..... :tdown:tdown:tdown:tdown

Your take on their mistakes? Regardless of whether or not you bought them.....

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the worst Mosaic decisions I made are the ones that I didn't buy, though some of the early oop sets

that I missed have been pretty much reissued in full on individual CDs.

I'm sure that anyone dissatisfied with a Mosaic will have no trouble selling it for a reasonable price and might even make a profit if it is out of print.

The smartest Mosaic purchase for me? All three volumes of The Complete Commodore Jazz Recordings,

while they were still available. A total of 69 LPs, with no more than 2500 of each set manufactured.

Hmmm. . . I guess I'd say the Moncur would be the most disappointing release to me. That and the Johnny Richards.

I didn't buy the Moncur, as I have all the material within on cd except Hipnosis which I have on cdr from the lp. . . . I just don't like his work that much; I like the cdr best of all the material, so it's tempting to buy it for that, but then. .. that's a lot for one session!

The Johnny Richards. . . well. . . I had heard most of the material before, wasn't thrilled, thought I would probably give it a shot. .. still not crazy about the stuff.

I have the Hamilton and the Washington set. Love the Hamilton! The Washington is not my favorite Dinah, but man. . . it's great stuff if you love Dinan. (I do.)

I've been disappointed with the sound on some of the sets. Foremost I'd say the Rivers, Morgan, Turrentine and Donaldson. But no complaints on the music!

Edited by jazzbo

Guest Chaney

Insanity: Passed up the Andrew Hill and instead bought the Stan Kenton, on an impulse, when it hit the last chance list. Gee! It's been a long time since I've whined about that Kenton set. Guess I've completely recovered.

Also had the Hamilton and found it to be as dull as dishwater. Probably should have held on to it as I'm currently having problems sleeping... Sold that one off while it was still in print.

Edited by Chaney

Really like the Chico Hamilton box. I could see the Dinah Washington being a relatively "worst" choice, though, especially if you don't already have her superior Mercury stuff. I was considering the Mosaic, but decided it wouldn't make sense unless i first had those Mercury boxes. Have since found five of the seven sets used. :tup

The worst decision Mosaic ever made was to not give John Patton a "Complete Blue Note Recordings Of" treatment. The Select just doesn't do justice to what he did on that label.

No kidding, that was really random (nothwithstanding whatever "cohesion criteria" touted by Mosaic).

Insanity: Passed up the Andrew Hill and instead bought the Stan Kenton, on an impulse, when it hit the last chance list. Gee! It's been a long time since I've whined about that Kenton set. Guess I've completely recovered.

Fortunately we are getting closer and closer to being able to assemble the Hill set with individual CDs. I thought we would never see the just-reissued Pax. It seems like Compulsion would be put out at some time too. Don't know about that Rivers quartet, although that would be a great one.

PS - Only reason I track this so closely is that I once had the Hill set and LOST it. Not sold, lost.

About a month ago, I sent back my Prima/Monone, Herman Capitol, and Mildred Bailey sets back to Mosaic, along with $30, and got back in exchange Farlow, Farmer/Golson, and Johnny Smith sets. I just was not listening to the former three, and I could tell that I originally purchased them and kept them around because I thought I *should* have them. Now, I have sets that I really want to listen to. Jazz should be pleasurable, not work or duty.

"tranemonk," it seems to me that he worst decision was made by you, not Mosaic. The label specializes in issuing "complete" sets of recordings--had yo thought about what that entails, you would have realized that there is almost always some dross that is only included in order to adhere to the concept. Surely, you did not think that Dinah had a perfect record of perfection, as it were?

If Mosaic has made a bad decision, it was probably to cater to completists, but the customer is forewarned.

They just swapped them with you??? How long ago had you purchased the other stuff????

You got me thinking?????? :unsure::unsure:

About a month ago, I sent back my Prima/Monone, Herman Capitol, and Mildred Bailey sets back to Mosaic, along with $30, and got back in exchange Farlow, Farmer/Golson, and Johnny Smith sets. I just was not listening to the former three, and I could tell that I originally purchased them and kept them around because I thought I *should* have them. Now, I have sets that I really want to listen to. Jazz should be pleasurable, not work or duty.

:tup Sometimes that's difficult to remember! I'm sure we've all gotten sucked into buying something because it's a "must have," just to find out that one person's "must have" is another's "must not."

I haven't really had a real dissapointment with a Mosaic set, but I'm not sure I'm in love with the Herman set either. Great playing, but way too much Woody vocals for my taste. I also recently bought the Verve Basie set and have been wondering if its something I will really listen to very much -- so I haven't opened it yet.

I don't agree... Sure ... part of the responsbility is mine... but as many on this board will tell you... you don't KNOW what's often in a set (and if you like it or not) until you've purchased it... Sure having familarity with the artist is important... but in many cases (I'll speak for myself now...) I didn't HAVE the original LP's or had very little by the artist... (or it's an artist who doesn't have much in print...) so therefore it's often difficult to KNOW exactly what the records sound like. My feeling is yes... I bear part of the responsibility (and ultimately most of it... since it's my $$$$) BUT... that doesn't mean I don't think Mosaic makes mistakes...

They make ALL kinds of editing/remastering/selection decisions... In fact... if Mosaic were perfect (in everyone's eyes...) I doubt there'd be as much debate on this board.... :beee::beee:

"tranemonk," it seems to me that he worst decision was made by you, not Mosaic. The label specializes in issuing "complete" sets of recordings--had yo thought about what that entails, you would have realized that there is almost always some dross that is only included in order to adhere to the concept. Surely, you did not think that Dinah had a perfect record of perfection, as it were?

If Mosaic has made a bad decision, it was probably to cater to completists, but the customer is forewarned.

The only purchase I've ever made from Mosaic that I'm not 100% happy with was the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh set.

I bought it a couple years back right when it was going out of print. The praise on this board seemed to be unanimously positive, so I took the plunge and ended up getting the last set. I enjoy the Marsh material quite a bit, and Tristano is interesting, but Konitz just isn't my bag. I realize he a legend and I respect him and all....just a bit too mellow and uninteresting for me. And since Konitz is on 80% of the material, it makes it difficult for me to fully enjoy the set, and I don't find myself ever really listening to it.

However, I've learned that with jazz it so often happens that one day you will just "get" it, even if its something you despised before. So I'm gonna hang on to this set.

My Mosaic-related dissapointments have been self-inflicted. Not buying the Monk set. And then leaving a dozen bargain-priced sets on the shelf at a record store when I was traveling; I reasoned that they'd be too much of a burden to carry for six months before returning to the States. Well, at the time...

I think I'm going to console myself with a little...Django!

I first heard about Mosaic around the time that their Monk and Clifford Brown sets came out - but then promptly forgot about them for 15 or so years until just before the end of their vinyl era. At that time, importing such sets into the UK was a bit of a step into the unknown and few retailers stocked the Mosaic product. Since then I've been making up for lost time, trying to get the sets I missed (and especially in the LP format). Just wish I could have got those Commodores when they originally came out !

I can't say there has been a single Mosaic that I have regretted buying. I've made forays into Harlem stride piano, 50s vocal music (Froshmen etc) and New Orleans jazz, not my usual territory at all, but in each case the boxes have been truly enjoyable and ear-opening.

Edited by sidewinder

I have got about 75 Mosaic sets including most of the selects and I do not regret any of my purchases. The only one I am not so keen on is the Illinois Jacquet.

I am a bit surprised to read a few negative comments about the Moncur set. It is one of my favourite selects. My only regret is to have discovered Mosaic too late!