Worst Mosaic Decision?

Worst Mosaic decisions have been:

The Chico Hamilton

Charles Brown Aladdin Set

Kenton Presents Cooper, Holman and Rosolino

Illinois Jaquet

Woody Herman Capitol Set

Kenton Presents is patchy with some twee stuff by Cooper but it's fine set as is the Hamilton.

My contender might be the Buck Clayton set because of the decision to use unedited masters rather than those use for the LPs. Though the musicl is very fine, but in many ways more is actually less in this case IMO.

Also them dropping vinyl , I now regret deeply although at the time they did it I couldn't have given two hoots !!!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I really hate to give bad rep to Mosaic because I think they are generally making such great work. I have about 10 great sets and enjoy the hell out of them.

BUT when it comes to Quincy Jones set I think that they narrowed it down way too much to what Mosaic thinks are the "pure" big band in the late fifties and early sixties. Most of that material is available on CD already from Japan.

However why not make a complete Mercury set adding, Hip Hits, Around The World (never issued on CD), Plays the music of Henry Mancini (never issued on CD) etc. I was really hoping for that when I heard about the set.

I mean just to imply that Hip Hits is "commercial" and not up to Q's big band jazz high quality style is very ignorant ideed. It is a great swingin' album with a great lineup There are fine solos by Joe Newman, Jim Hall, Zoot Sims ,Phil Woods and also Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Ok, the songs are not long and adventurous, but the swing and move like crazy. a shame that more people don't get to hear this.

/Shaft