August listening

kenny weir

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Complete Blue Note Horace Parlan Sessions (Mosaic) - LPs 2&7 - Us Three & Happy Frame of Mind

Johnny Dodds: 1926 (Classics)

Django Reinhardt: Vol. 5 (JSP)

The Last Giant -The John Coltrane Anthology (Rhino) - disc 1

Sarah Vaughn: The Early Years - The Divine Sarah (Musicraft LP) - sides w. Freddie Webster

Dizzy Reece: Asia Minor (New Jazz)

Cecil Taylor: For Olim (Soul Note)

Art Blakey - Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World

Uri Caine - Goldberg Variations

Bill Frisell - Ghost Town

Gregorio/Gustafsson/Nordeson - Background Music

Charles Mingus - The Clown

Art Pepper - APQ

Jimmy Smith - Groovin' at Small's Paradise

John Surman - Stranger Than Fiction

Art Blakey 'Indestructible' (RVG)

Louis Armstrong 'California Concerts' (Decca/GRP box)

Eddie Costa 'House of Blue Lights' (Japanese Dot LP reissue)

Stanley Turrentine at Minton's (BN CD)

Marion Brown 'Juba-Lee' (Fontana LP)

Jimmy Scott 'Falling in Love is Wonderful' (CD reissue)

Today in the office, (sub)editing on the sports desk. Hey, I take as much pride in my Saturday work as the rest of the week, but as I'm desk bound and doing mostly football (along with a bit of other stuff), Saturday is definitely the best day for music in the office.

*Jackie Mclean - Jacknife

*Duke Ellington - Such Sweety Thunder

*Gary Bartz - Coltrane Rules! (He's playing Wangaratta this year, so the artiistic director slipped me a rough mix of this. It sounds great. Three Trane tunes (Trasnition, Dahomey Dance, Big Nick), one Dameron (Soultrane), one standard (I Concentrate On You) and one original. I don't what label this will be coming out on).

*Paul Williamson Quintet - Mutations

*John bell Trio - Spirals

*Hank Mobley - No Room For Bears

bear_front.jpg

I haven't posted to this list in a while.

Jazz:

Wayne Shorter .:. The All Seeing Eye | I don't think I've listened to this album since a few months after its re-release! Genesis.

Organissimo .:. Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters | This disc sort of stays in our player for weeks at a time. Life Wish is such an amazing song guys.

Jason Moran .:. the Bandwagon | Trying to spur some discussion in the new releases thread. If you've heard this, let's hear what you think.

Greg Osby .:. Symbols of Light (A Solution) | Decided it was time I pull this one back out after listening to the Bandwagon numerous times. I actually appreciate this disc more now than I did when I originally bought it. At the time, I didn't think the strings really added much. That has since changed.

Mat Maneri featuring Joe McPhee .:. Sustain | Album of the Week a couple of weeks ago.

See lack of discussion here.

Jackie McLean .:. Demon's Dance | Is there a remaster for this album anywhere in sight? McLean and Shaw and DeJohnette! 1967 MEAN McLean.

Dave Douglas .:. Freak In | I still haven't given this disc "proper" time. I doesn't even seem to be the right sound for my mood.

Bobby Hutcherson .:. Patterns | Spurred from a discussion elsewhere on the board.

Medeski, Martin, and Wood .:. Tonic | After listening to the Bandwagon numerous times...

Andrew Hill .:. Smokestack | I had to hear those two bassists weaving in and out on my new speakers.

Rock

Califone .:. Quicksand/Cradlesnakes | Definitely my album of the year. I will post a nice review here sometime. I think this music would be in many boardmembers interest. There is a review in the latest issue of Signal To Noise that I think does a pretty damn good job, if you are interested.

The Sea and Cake .:. One Bedroom | The latest release is always my favorite from this group. I can't wait to hear another Sam Prekop solo album too much longer.

Neil Michael Haggerty & the Howling Hex .:. s/t | Good, and growing on me. Formerly of Pussy Galore, he seems to have a bit of a Beefheart thing going for him at times. Definitely a guitar to be reckoned with. Half of this album was recorded in Richmond, VA.

Ted Leo & The Pharmacicts .:. Hearts of Oak | Very good! The best rock recommendation I had recieved in a long time, until Al Jones recommended

Dismemberment Plan .:. Emergency & I | !!!! Very cool. An excellent singer would make this band more than "indie status." Warshington DC.

Velvet Underground .:. Velvet Underground | This must be a classic. I can't keep up. Candy Says just fills the room.

That's enough for now, I think.

This weekend:

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

311 - Evolver

Stanley Turrentine/The 3 Sounds - Blue Hour

Antonio Carlos Jobim - Wave

Bill Evans - Alone

Rage Against The Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles

Sammi Cheng - Ngomun Tik Chutai Kuk

Charlie Parker/Dizzy Gillespie - Bird and Diz

Miles Davis - Complete Plugged Nickel

Ike Quebec - Blue and Sentimental

Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game

Johnny Smith - Johnny Smith VEE

Kenny Dorham - 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia

Kenny Burrell - KB Blues

Right now: Horace Parlan - Speakin' My Piece

Sidney Bechet - COMPLETE RCA/VICTOR MASTER TAKES (RCA/VICTOR), disc 3

Jessica Williams - UPDATE (Clean Cuts) with Eddie Harris

Various - ONE WORLD JAZZ (Columbia) - a 1959 experiment in transcontinental overdubbing that features Ben Webster, JJ Johnson, Grappelli, Martial Solal, Ake Persson, Jo Jones, Hank Jones, and others

June Christy - SOMETHING COOL (Capitol Jazz)

Bobby Hutcherson - MIRAGE (32 Jazz/Landmark)

Byrd/Gryce - THE JAZZ LAB/MODERN JAZZ PERSPECTIVE (Collectibles/Columbia)

Donald Byrd - GROOVIN' FOR NAT (1201 Records)

Erroll Garner - SOLO TIME! (Emarcy)

Woody Shaw - SONG OF SONGS

Blakey and the Messengers - A NIGHT IN TUNISIA (Bluebird/Vik)

Milt Jackson w/Coleman Hawkins - BEAN BAGS (Koch/Atlantic)

Sammy Price w/Lucky Thompson - PARIS BLUES (Universal France/Polydor)

Lee Morgan - DELIGHTFULEE (Blue Note)