CIMP has own website

brownie

Cadence has always worked well for me. Global Priority to the UK is $7.00 for one cd and service is excellent. I would say order with confidence. The Cadence crew are always happy and quick to help.

Buyers used to be able to dispense with the jewel box and replace it with Cadence's 'jewel box begone' sleeves which allowed buyers to have 3 cds for the shipping price of one. Unfortunately this option appears to have gone.

• 2 months later...

While I'm not the biggest fan of CIMP's recording techniques, I really like the music they put out. Anyone with a general interest in "free bop" should at least try one CIMP recording. Here are a few I'm fond of:

CIMP #161 - Rob Brown & Lou Grassi: Scratching the Surface

A pianoless quartet session with Assif Tsahar on tenor — in one of his most straightahead appearances. Great playing, very Ornette-like without being derivative.

CIMP #200 - Elliott Levin & Tyrone Hill: A Fine Intensity

A very fun, rollicking set. Hill (on trombone) was in Sun Ra's Philly band, and Levin is from Philly as well. While there's a Ra feel to the proceedings, Levin (on tenor) adds some nice Rollins-influenced touches.

CIMP #190 - Ori Kaplan: Realms

An intense, but not always blistering, trio recording (alto, bass, drums). Kaplan deserves wider recognition. If you like Rob Brown or Rudresh Mahanthappa, you need to check out Kaplan.

CIMP #216 - Briggan Krauss: At All Costs Unknown

The group here is billed as "The Resonance Impeders." This is an interesting set, as the emphasis is not on "chops" or "blowing" per se, but rather space and humor — and lots of it. The session never goes over the line into tongue-and-cheek though, which is a credit to the musicians' level of sincerity.

CIMP #184 - Steve Swell: Atmospheels

If you're a Roswell Rudd fan, you owe it to yourself to try this recording. Trombone, bass, drums. Fine "out" playing.

Other favorites on CIMP?

While I'm not the biggest fan of CIMP's recording techniques, I really like the music they put out. Anyone with a general interest in "free bop" should at least try one CIMP recording. Here are a few I'm fond of:

CIMP #161 - Rob Brown & Lou Grassi: Scratching the Surface

A pianoless quartet session with Assif Tsahar on tenor — in one of his most straightahead appearances. Great playing, very Ornette-like without being derivative.

CIMP #200 - Elliott Levin & Tyrone Hill: A Fine Intensity

A very fun, rollicking set. Hill (on trombone) was in Sun Ra's Philly band, and Levin is from Philly as well. While there's a Ra feel to the proceedings, Levin (on tenor) adds some nice Rollins-influenced touches.

CIMP #190 - Ori Kaplan: Realms

An intense, but not always blistering, trio recording (alto, bass, drums). Kaplan deserves wider recognition. If you like Rob Brown or Rudresh Mahanthappa, you need to check out Kaplan.

CIMP #216 - Briggan Krauss: At All Costs Unknown

The group here is billed as "The Resonance Impeders." This is an interesting set, as the emphasis is not on "chops" or "blowing" per se, but rather space and humor — and lots of it. The session never goes over the line into tongue-and-cheek though, which is a credit to the musicians' level of sincerity.

CIMP #184 - Steve Swell: Atmospheels

If you're a Roswell Rudd fan, you owe it to yourself to try this recording. Trombone, bass, drums. Fine "out" playing.

Other favorites on CIMP?

Some I like:

CIMP 119 - Mark Whitecage: Caged No More

CIMP 147 - Claude Lawrence Trio: Presenting - Both this and the Whitecage feature fine alto saxists who deserve a more widespread hearing than either has received.

CIMP 143 - Khan Jamal Quartet: Percussion & Strings

I have to say that I haven't kept up with CIMP issues. They release 30 a year(!), so that's part of it.

I'll have to find time to listen to some of the clips available on the website.

Edited by paul secor

Any of the Adam Lane releases is choice: the new trio with Golia & Anderson is a stunner, for instance. & the sound's fine too on those ones.

have ordered many of the CIMP releases by phone. often the boss answers the phone. the cadence people are a delight to deal with and they sure know their stuff.

sadly, my subscription to cadence has lapsed and i miss that little black and white book every month.

CIMP's sister label, CJR (Cadence Jazz Records), also has some fine music out on compact disc. Special mention must me made for Herb Robertson's Falling in Flat Space — a great trumpet, bass, drums outing. For those who think of "power trios" as only belonging to the domain of the saxophone, check this one out.

• 12 years later...

The first CIMP discs I bought were the Roswell Rudd plays Herbie Nichols.  Did not like them at all. That was many years ago & my stereo rig has completely changed since then.  Now my system is computer based with vanishingly low noise floor & headroom to spare. Now I love the CIMP sound.