Gerald Wilson w/Wardell, Stan, Zoot, Criss, Teddy E, Clark

BeBop

BIG BAND MODERN

The ultra rare 1954 "Big Band Modern" LP plus a splendid previously unissued 1950 concert in San Francisco.

WILSON, GERALD

Featuring Clark Terry, Teddy Edwards, Paul Gonsalves, Sonny Criss, Wardell, Zoot Sims & Stan Getz. Includes never before heard solos by tenor stars Wardell Gray, Zoot Sims and Stan Getz and one of a kind arrangements by Wilson!.

-----------------

JFCD22880

Ugh. It pains me to be thinking about buying a Definitive release, but my old tape - probably 75th generation - could probably use the sonic upgrade. This is a killer concert, with Wardell, Stan Getz, and Zoot Sims on the front line. Most of it never before available. Shit. BUY!

http://www.disconforme.com/pages2/jazz/mostrar.asp

I don't have the details, though I'll try to locate. The Crown stuff was mainly from Gene Norman concerts in 1947 and didn't have Stan/Wardell/Zoot ALL TOGETHER ON THE SAME STAGE. This material has never come out before in any legit form.

Dusty Groove has it.

Someone buy it and give a report and make us all jealous! :)

I'm tryin' but Disconforme is unhelpful. Offering the CD for 10.95 Euro then, when you hit checkout, you're redirected to Jazzmessengers.com, who are charging 11.95! The buggers! Are Jazzmessengers.com an American firm? If so, they'll hit me with big postage bills, too.

MG

Dusty Groove has it.

I'm tryin' but Disconforme is unhelpful. Offering the CD for 10.95 Euro then, when you hit checkout, you're redirected to Jazzmessengers.com, who are charging 11.95! The buggers! Are Jazzmessengers.com an American firm? If so, they'll hit me with big postage bills, too.

MG

No, jazzmessengers.com is a Spanish site I believe. . . it's European at least, not American.

I have that Audio Lab 'Big Band Modern' vinyl. Have not listened to it in a long time. OK big band orchestrations with little space for solos. The band includes people like Clark Terry, Britt Woodman, Teddy Edwards, Paul Gonsalves, Frank Haynes, etc... There's an unidentified singer on one track ('Since We Said Goodbye').

The back cover bears a stamped signature that reads: 'Collectors Item. Discontinued and Unavailable'.

Never heard the concert. Lineup (Wardell, Zoot, Getz) looks quite exciting. Hope the musicians get a chance to solo...

Edited by brownie

Audio Lab 1538 was issued in 1959 . Most of this material first appeared on a 1954 10" LP called ' Progressive Sounds ' ( Federal 295-93 ) . Both Audio Lab and Federal were subsidiaries of King Records out of Cincinnati .

Here is the cover of the Audio Lab LP :

GeraldWilsononAudioLab.jpg

Now who wants to post a picture of that Federal 10" cover ? ;)

EDIT : Fixed dead image link .

Edited by Chas

Wardell, Stan and Zoot all do indeed get solos. Features, even. I forget the tune names. Hollywood somthing? Freeway? I wish I had my tape at hand. On the tape, soloists and tunes are announced. I hope the sound quality of the CD is better than my tape. But the music's fine.

Edited by BeBop

FWIW, Gerald and his orchestra are partying down at Yoshi's on July 31, the final day of the Kenny Burrell 75th birthday bash week. Also includes Joey DeFrancesco and Hubert Laws.

I have no idea how they are going to fit all those people PLUS a B-3 on that stage!

Dusty Groove has it.

MG

No, jazzmessengers.com is a Spanish site I believe. . . it's European at least, not American.

Thanks Lon, I'll have another go, then.

MG

From CDUniverse. Those bonus tracks are the Wardell/Zoot/Stan things. Some have all three; some are features for the sax players individually. I wish I had that darned tape handy.

By the way, most of the bonus tunes aren't carefully arranged presentation, as some Wilson material is. They're more heads/jams in a concert setting. Loose.

Song Title

1. Algerian Fantasy

2. Bull Fighter

3. Lotus Land

4. Theme

5. Mambo Mexicano

6. Black Rose

7. Romance

8. Since We Said Goodbye

9. Hollywood Freeway (Bonus Track)

10. Sea Breeze (Bonus Track)

11. Nice Work If You Can Get It (Bonus Track)

12. Indiana (Bonus Track)

13. It Had To Be You (Bonus Track)

14. Out Of Nowhere (Bonus Track)

15. Hollywood Freeway (Bonus Track)

Notes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This release presents an ultra rare LP by the Gerald Wilson orchestra for the first time ever on CD. Although he recorded innumerable sessions as an arranger and as a trumpeter, this is the only studio session recorded by Wilson under his own name between 1947 and 1961, when he began a long term recording contract with Pacific records. What makes "Big Band Modern" even more interesting is that six of the eight tunes on the album were composed by Wilson himself. Considering the dearth of Wilson's recordings with his own band during this period, the 1950 concert recorded in San Francisco - which is included on this release as a bonus performance - is, without a doubt, an essential addition to Wilson's recorded legacy, and an extremely important discographic discovery. In fact, this concert has never been previously released on any format.

Edited by BeBop

From jazzmessengers.com (a shop based in Barcelona, Spain)

Tracks 1-8:

Gerald Wilson And His Orchestra:

Gerald Wilson (arr/cond, tp ), Ernie Royal, Walter Williams (tp), Melba Liston, Henry Coker, Robert Wagner, Trummy Young (tb), Sonny Criss (as), Gerald Wiggins (p) Red Callender (b), Lee Young (d). Guest stars: Wardell Gray, Zoot Sims & Stan Getz (ts). Recorded live at San Francisco's Veterans Memorial, 1950.

Tracks 9-15: Gerald Wilson And His Orchestra: John Anderson, Louis Grey, Allen Smith, Clark Terry (tp), Isaac Bell, Atlee Chapman, John Ewing, Britt Woodman (tb), Jerry Dodgion (as), Teddy Edwards, Paul Gonsalves, Frank Haynes (ts), Bill Green (bar), Cedric Haywood (p), Addison Farmer (b), Gus Gustafson (d), Gerald Wilson (arr, cond). Recorded in Los Angeles, 1954.

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/ProductInfo.asp?ref=113593

From DustyGroove

Genius early work from west coast leader Gerald Wilson -- heard here many years before his famous 60s sides for Pacific Jazz, on material from one rare 1954 album, plus a full bonus live set from a few years before -- issued here for the first time ever! The 1954 studio work is especially great -- done in a style that still shows Wilson's bold talents for unified grooving and breakout solo moments -- but with perhaps a bit more touch of the exotic than even some of his Spanish and Latin-tinged sides from later years. Most of the tunes here are original Wilson compositions, handled in an array of colors and tones that are breathtaking, and which really beat most of the better-known mainstream LA leaders of the time at their own game! Players include Paul Gonsalves, Teddy Edwards, Clark Terry, John Anderson, Addison Farmer, and Jerry Dodgion -- and titles include "Algerian Fantasy", "Romance", "Black Rose", "Mambo Mexicano", "Lotus Land", and "Bull Fighter". The second half of the CD is from a live date recorded at San Francisco's Veteran's Memorial in 1950 -- with quality that's certainly a bit more "live" than the other tracks on the CD, but still relatively strong overall -- especially given the half-century since the time of recording. The lineup for this batch of tunes includes Melba Liston, Ernie Royal, Wardell Gray, Stan Getz, Sonni Criss, and Gerald Wiggins -- a very unusual batch of all-star players -- and titles include "Hollywood Freeway", "Out Of Nowhere", "Sea Breeze", and "It Had To Be You".

http://www.dustygroove.com/jazzcd5.htm#423129

I guess the personnel and dates on the jazzmessengers site should be the other way around.

F

My friend Pete was kind enough to digitize the tape and send it to me. I'm working through it.

Hollywood Freeway, as you might imagine, in a rip roarin' big band feature for, mainly a couple of alto players. My extremely lo-fi e-mailed rendition doesn't sound particularly like Criss, but I could well be wrong; higher-fi would be better to judge. (As it think about it, I wonder if the tape isn't running too fast here and these are tenors.)

Seabreeze is a pretty heavily arranged, slow, moody piece with limited real improvisation.

Nice Work and Indiana are Wardell features.

Zoot is the man on It Had To Be You. Either on the tape or on the digitization process, this gets truncated.

Getz gets his on Out of Nowhere.

Hollywood Freeway is back. Getz, Gray, Sims...

This isn't just a cute artifact. It's good music.

Frankly, I was excited about the CD because I figured it'd offer something more than my old tape. More music, more fidelity, whetever. It's still good, but I'm going to have to back off from my initial excitement.

Oh, and after listening to the CD, it does sound like Criss on the first concert cut.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

wilson_gera_bigbandmo_101b.jpg

Here's the cover of the Jazz Factory reissue. I ordered a copy. I already have the tracks from that 1954 LP on the second Chronological Classics CD, but I need that 1950 live session ... I've grown into a big Wilson fan. 

Tracks 9-15 are a previously unissued 1950 concert in San Francisco's Veterans Memorial

with guest stars Wardell Gray, Stan Getz and Zoot Sims.Each one of these great sax players is given a showcase

tune and they finish the concert all blowing great solos and trading fours on Hollywood Freeway.

Wardell is featured on "Indiana" , Zoot on "It Had To Be You" and Stan on "Out Of Nowhere"

The date 1950 is doubtful though. I would say maybe 1953,only because Stan earned the Metronome All Stars in 49 and the announcer

says that for 5 consecutive years this young man earned the Awards. So do the math :))

Denis

post-10892-126403602457_thumb.jpg