I talked to Alan a couple of months ago, and he told me the same thing--he's been very busy and hasn't been able to check in here. I have been getting his weekly Jazzmatazz emails--at least the Philly jazz concert ones. Based on our conversation 2 months ago, he's doing fine, but is just real busy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I just talked to Alan Lankin, and he said that he's been extremely busy and hasn't been able to update the upcoming releases portion of the Jazzmatazz site. He has been able to keep the Philly Jazz section current, for which those of us in Philly are extremely grateful (NOTE TO JIM: Alan is soon going to add all 4 organissimo gigs :tup ).

Alan said that he hopes to get back to updating the CD-release portion of the Jazzmatazz site, but doesn't know when that will be. He also hopes to stop by the Board when he gets a chance and say hello.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing has even come close to filling the void left by Jazzmatazz's "upcoming releases" no longer being current. :(

AAJ's sad attempt, I'm looking right at you. <_<

1) Not one Blue Note release that I can find (not one!!). What the hell?? Where's the upcoming RVG's for early next year?? (Which we already know about here, and have known for a month or two, if I remember correctly.) Where's Charles Tolliver's upcoming Blue Note date?? (We've known about that here too - including a street date - for months!!) There's probably more on the Blue Note website, and we know how "just in time" those announcements are. Sheesh!!

2) No free-text to describe releases that need a tiny bit of further explaination (for thinks like first issues of previously unreleased material, or descriptions of material being expanded (even if just to say "w/ 5 bonus tracks") - which isn't much to ask for). Or list the year of recording for previously unreleased material (like "Passing Ships", for instance).

3) Not one new release that doesn't have an exact release date, so no way to list new releases that are more than just "on the drawing board" - but releases that aren't quite firm enough to have an exact release date (but which do have a target date, or month).

4) Very, very few releases that don't already have active CDUniverse listings -- so does this mean that anything that CDUniverse doesn't carry, or just doesn't have active on their site yet - doesn't (or can't?) get into the list?? That means you'll only hear about releases about 5 to 6 weeks before their streetdate, I guess.

5) Almost nothing listed for more than 1 month from now. (Very few releases listed for anything after December 2006, almost none for January and February, and only one release listed for the entire year of 2007 past February.) There's a mountain of new releases that could be reported on, so where is that information??

6) No way to look back at recent previous releases, like Jazzmatazz used to provide (well, and still does for the moment).

I'm not saying all this to complain about Jazzmatazz being gone (though I sure as heck do miss it).

But if the AAJ solution thinks that it, in any way, even comes close to filling that void -- then think again. As much (I mean "as little") new release info as there is on the AAJ site, they might as well not bother. -_- What's the point?? :tdown

Edited by Rooster_Ties

1) Not one Blue Note release that I can find (not one!!).

I agree with you 99.99999999%

But I found 2 Blue Notes there. :)

I've pointed out the lack of a past tense to Mike Ricci before, but with no result. And shuffling stuff off to an archive is the easiest thing ever! As for providing more info, well...

MG

The AAJ page is OK for me, although not nearly a good as Alan's site was.

Without such a list, I would miss many interesting reissues which are not being discussed on this board.

With new releases it's less of a problem, as they are often announced and reviewed on jazz news sites or in magazines.

The reissue scene has been going on since 1986,I don't think there is a much meaningfull stuff coming out anytime soon. The cream is out there.I can understand why Alan doesn't bother.

First of all, Alan hardly limited his list to reissues. ALL jazz releases seemed to make it onto his list, in a far more comprehensive manner than AAJ.

Secondly, Alan hardly stopped updating because "the cream is out there" - he had personal matters that have kept him from keeping his site up to date. That's a terrible loss, not least because you aren't likely to discover these releases at your local Borders by happenstance.

I'm thinking about adding something like this to the Night Lights site. I emphasize "thinking," because I realize what a great deal of work it would involve. The current "Jazz News of Note" page is something that I haven't updated as much as I should, and it only mentions the occasional Mosaic set or interesting jazz book that's coming out. This would be a weekly venture, something that we'd probably update on Mondays.