Sport: 2006 Stanley Cup Game # 7

I'm in with Edmonton all the way! I couldn't believe it when they scored that first goal :14 seconds into Game 6.

side note: how many busted sticks have littered the ice in this series alone? Dozens. I always loved wood sticks (Christian Bros) and think they made a big mistake moving away from them. Lighter 'schimter'....these composite sticks blow imo.

is # 99 still with edmonton?

:)

from the Globe and Mail 2 weeks ago:

Gretzky did not want to be drawn into making a prediction for the series, but he admitted there is no doubt where his loyalties lie.

"Once you're an Oiler, you're always an Oiler," he said. "I'm getting calls from guys I played with, from Paul Coffey to Mark Messier to Grant Fuhr. We're all happy to see the Oilers successful again."

I'm not a fan of either of these teams, and the fact that the Oilers beat my Red Wings in the first round of the playoffs ought to turn me towards Carolina, but, nonetheless, I'd like to see Edmonton pull it out. If there's any good reason for this I guess it would be because they lost Dwayne Roloson early on and they've had to go with a third string goalie in Jussi Markkanen, who hadn't played in a single game in the last two months.

So, while my heart says Edmonton, my mind says 'Canes. As John mentioned, it is a home game for them and that's historically worth about a goal. Add to that the fact that the home team in a game seven has almost never lost and it makes for a pretty potent pro-Carolina argument. The first goal tonight will be huge, and Markkenen needs to be on his best behavior. All things considered, Carolina by two.

Weizy - Christian Brothers huh? I was a Northland first and Victoriaville second guy. We used to bend our own blades using hot steam and a drainage grate. Some of the bends were so severe you could do obscene things with a shot. Not much for stickhandling though. In the entire 12 years I played, I never used anything other than a wood stick. Hell, when I first started, you didn't even have to wear helmets.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Weizy - Christian Brothers huh? I was a Northland first and Victoriaville second guy. We used to bend our own blades using hot steam and a drainage grate. Some of the bends were so severe you could do obscene things with a shot. Not much for stickhandling though. In the entire 12 years I played, I never used anything other than a wood stick. Hell, when I first started, you didn't even have to wear helmets.

Right! ...and then in the mid-70's we had to don those clunky, godawful things with the weird chin 'cushion' that made ya scowl!

Go Canes!

The first game my dad ever took me to was a Seattle Totems-Vancouver Canucks game in the Western Hockey League in November of 1960.

We sat in the front row. In those days there was no plexiglass or chicken wire to protect the fans. It was about that time that Stan Mikita of Chicago was inventing the curved stick, which gave lift to the shots. So I suppose there was no need to protect the fans because the puck didn't go up over the boards. The goaltenders didn't wear masks either.

I don't know when that league folded. It was an old man's league. The players were not for the most part on their way to the NHL, but many made more money than the younger NHL guys did.

The next year my dad took me to see the Totems play the Portland Buckaroos, whose goaltender was the best in the league, Bruce Gamble. About 1969, the Totems coach Keith Allen became an executive with the Philadelphia Flyers, and one of the first things he did was obtain Gamble from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Sad story: Gamble had to retire when he had a heart attack during a game. But he didn't give up the game, and played in a recreational league. He had another heart attack during a game, and died.

My college graduation present was season tickets to the new WHA team the New England Whalers in Boston. They won the Avco Cup that year. I saw them play the Alberta Oilers, though I don't remember who played for the Oilers then.

So now the Whalers have moved to Raleigh, and here I am too.

Honestly, I haven't been paying attention throughout the year, except to check the standings and see the Hurricanes on top throughout the season. But I've been listening to each of the Stanley Cup finals games on the radio.

The Hurricanes' TV games this year were on a cable channel that is not listed in the newspaper! I think it is Fox Sports South, but I'm not sure. I don't get cable anyway. You would think that for the only pro team in town a Raleigh broadcast TV station would carry some of the games.

edit for typos

Edited by GA Russell

Edmonton is UNSTOPPABLE...

...if they can stay out of the penalty box for most of the game.

I am from Edmonton and have been listening to as as many games as I can since the first round. I've been able to watch a few downloaded games as well and it is pretty clear that Edmonton had dominated 5 on 5 hockey from game one. Game 6 was total domination and I think the 'Canes are playing with a lot of injuries from the relentless Edmonton hitting.

I am predicting a 4-2 score for the winner.

I hope this is a classic rather than the Calgary-Tampa Bay snoozefest of two years ago. Edmonton has the momentum and more jump. I'd give the Oilers the edge in terms of coaching. Carolina has more talent, home ice advantage and Cam Ward, who cannot be faulted for the loss the other night. Too close to call, but I'm rooting for the Oilers.

The latest I've heard is Doug Weight is not playing, but that could change in an hour.

Weizy,

Nope, the headgear we were required to wear never had face masks. Crazy for sure, but when you'd gotten used to playing without a helmet, even those were hard to get used to. No mouth guards either. The only person who was thankful for that was my dentist. I lost five front teeth and in my last season had something like sixty stiches in around my eyes and chin. None of that would have happened with a face mask. But, as you know, hockey is nothing if it's not a gut check. I can remember getting stitches several times and then coming back to play the rest of the game. It was kind of expected. Now that you look back on it, it was really stupid. At the time, it didn't seem so at all.

Up over and out.

GA,

Don't get me going on the old Western Hockey League. My whole family was Portland Buckeroo fanatics. We even went up to Seattle to see them win the Lester Partick Cup in 1960 playing against the Totems. There were many seasons when my mom, my brother and I would see 25-30 home games. Remember those yahoos from Spokane, The Comets? Colin Kilburn, Red Johansen, Bev Bell, Jim Holdaway, Connie Madigan...God I hated those guys. Eddie Johnston was their goalie.

You're right about the WHL. It was pretty much a league for has been's and never were's. We even had Al Rollins in goal for awhile. He was playing in the NHL in the late '40's with Chicago. Andy Hebenton spent four or five years here too. And we did have a few guys who actually made it to the NHL after they expanded beyond the orignal six. Dale Rolph, Jerry Korab and Pat Stapleton are names that come to mind.

Boy those were the days. Thanks for reminding me.

Up over and out.

I used to go to a bar frequented by a guy who'd played for the Buckaroos. He was from Saskatoon and had worked for a masonary firm owned by the family of a friend of mine where I'd also worked years later. He had played for the Red Wings breifly with Gordy Howe (also from Saskatchewan) and hated the Quebecers 'cause they'd tried to tip over a bus he was in during the playoffs. I guess that would do it...

Edited by danasgoodstuff

I was off by a goal for each team but there it is, too many penalties in the first period to do any damage for the Oil. Like they say, you need a really long stick to score from the penalty box.

Kudos to the Oilers for making it interesting without Roloson.

Now what is this World Cup thing that I have been hearing about lately? :huh: