"New" Selects

Mosaic has added a couple new Selects to its site recently: an intriguing set of Andrew Hill solo Artists House recordings (has anyone heard these?), due in October; and an official announcement of their Bobby Hutcherson 70s BN recordings, slated for release in the "future."

Along with the Hill, Mosaic has scheduled the pre-announced Tony Williams set for October.

Mosaic Select: Andrew Hill (3 CDs)

In 1978, Andrew Hill was at a point in his life where he wanted to get away from the New York scene and tempo. He moved to Pittsburg, a small Bay Area bedroom community. In August and October, he made three trips to the Fantasy Recording Studio in Berkeley for lengthy solo piano sessions. Two extended pieces were issued on the Artists House LP From California With Love. That album quickly became a collector’s item when Artists House folded. Meanwhile over two hours of solo piano music by Andrew remained in the can until Mosaic discovered the session tapes in Hawaii. Now the complete sessions are gathered in this Select.

Mosaic Select: Bobby Hutcherson (3 CDs)

This Select gathers all of Bobby Hutcherson's straight-ahead Blue Notestudio sessions from the '70s (Cirrus, Inner Glow, Waiting, The View From The Inside and Knucklebean). Issued in the heyday of fusion, these superb albums received little notice and quickly sank from sight. Sidemen on these 1974-76 sessions include Woody Shaw, Freddie Hubbard, Harold Land and George Cables. The especially rare Inner Glow was released only in Japan. All five albums are on CD for the first time in this set.

Ironically enough... (even if my thread isn't good enough... :beee::beee::beee: ) I'm very interested in the Hill Solo stuff... I tend to be lukewarm on him in general... but the recently purchased "Pax" was interesting and the Select was uneven (IMHO) but intriguing... I've got one a FREEDOM Recording on a West German import... of him Live (solo) at Montreux on July 20 1975 (ironically produced by Cuscuna... and Alan Bates....) and I'm giving that a spin now.... so I'll have a better sense of what would be on the Select....

Will report more later....

-_- -_- :mellow:

Ironically enough... (even if my thread isn't good enough... :beee::beee::beee: ) I'm very interested in the Hill Solo stuff... I tend to be lukewarm on him in general... but the recently purchased "Pax" was interesting and the Select was uneven (IMHO) but intriguing... I've got one a FREEDOM Recording on a West German import... of him Live (solo) at Montreux on July 20 1975 (ironically produced by Cuscuna... and Alan Bates....) and I'm giving that a spin now.... so I'll have a better sense of what would be on the Select....

Will report more later....

-_- -_- :mellow:

:lol:

Interesting that the Hutcherson set is coming out since Happenings, Patterns, Total Eclipse, Spiral, and Medina are out of print and The Kicker, Components, Stick-Up, and Now are limited edition Conns. It would certainly be nice to have all of them in print at the same time.

I have the "California with love" LP. I don't think I need 3CDs of Andrew Hill solo.

I have to admit I sold my copy after many years - anything by Hill between his two Blue Note periods simply doesn't get me.

The Hutcherson ...... I have Knucklebean, and it's a real nice album, and my copy crackles .......

Interesting that the Hutcherson set is coming out since Happenings, Patterns, Total Eclipse, Spiral, and Medina are out of print and The Kicker, Components, Stick-Up, and Now are limited edition Conns. It would certainly be nice to have all of them in print at the same time.

Similar thoughts here - I certainly would prefer a Hutcherson-Land set, with the album with Spaulding perhaps thrown in .....

Edited by mikeweil

I tend to agree. What's up with that?

Still...

Hutch!!!!