painkiller

alocispepraluger102

ooonf aauuuffff ooch...

not a fan but recently sampled the brand new Zorn over on iTunes - 'MoonChild' (beautiful package as always tho and you can getcher self a nice MoonChild Tshirt to wear to the beach).

w/ Mike Patton doing his Galas spooky boy antix and Joey Baron thumping away that would make anything worth a listen but dare i say useless stuff that reminds me of some of the worst (of one of the best bands in the world) Naked City. That noise has played and now sounds old as hell to my old as hellness. but a Painkiller fan might find something redeemable in there. ;)

Used to listen back in da NINEties,

but haven't gone back to it since then.

Hafta revisit and hear how it's aged

since. I think I turned off for a while

'cause it was the new hip underground

thang that was usually listened to by the

"Zorn can't do anything wrong" crowd...

which, for me, made it immediately suspect.

Oh, and the covers were banned,

so that added to the mystique/mistake.

I'll drag 'em out again - wasn't there at least 3?

R~~

PainKiller picked up where Naked City’s hardcore miniatures left off, only with the added authenticity of Napalm Death’s Mick Harris on drums. Zorn and Harris had some mutual admiration, so they hooked up at Bill Laswell’s studio for two EPs of bad boy hardcore. Gratingly enjoyable in small doses, particularly if you like the glory days of grindcore.

As Harris left the shackles of grindcore behind him and Laswell’s dub influence became prominent, the songs went from short blasts to longer pieces that included other non-hardcore elements, such as jazz and improv. This is what you get on Execution Ground.

There are also a couple of live dates from 1994: Live in Osaka, which appears with everything else mentioned above on the 4-CD set, and Talisman, which is my favourite. With the latter, it is interesting to hear how far Harris had evolved from the Scum days

The group has reconvened a few times over the years, but Harris has moved on to industrial and beats and bass projects such as Scorn and hasn’t played with PainKiller in years.

The Zorn/Laswell/Hamid Drake plus Mike Patton edition of PainKiller from the Birthday Series was also surprisingly good. Laswell and Drake really lock into some great grooves under Patton’s screams and Zorn’s squonks.

There is also another hard-to-find live CD from Japan (c. 1993) which features Haino Keiji.

There's something called, I think, Guts of a Virgin? or am I mistaking that for another Naked City title?

..and another thing called Buried Secrets that has one of the Godflesh guys on it?

Like I said, it's been over a dozen years, so...

I also seem to remember the Japanese furor over the extreme bondage covers.

Edited by rostasi

There's something called, I think, Guts of a Virgin? or am I mistaking that for another Naked City title?

..and another thing called Buried Secrets that has one of the Godflesh guys on it?

Like I said, it's been over a dozen years, so...

I also seem to remember the Japanese furor over the extreme bondage covers.

Guts of a Virgin and Buried Secrets were the two first EPs. They both have gross out covers, the first as titled, the second of a human skull. I think the extreme bondage covers (not to mention the extreme torture cover from Leng T'che) were from Naked City releases. Buried Secrets has Justin K. Broadrick and G.C. Green of Godflesh on two tracks.

I went to see them at First Avenue once. I brought a friend who was a hippy/prog fan. Everything was going great until they started playing. Before the first song was finished he was foaming at the mouth, screaming at the stage, and going nuts. I thought I would wait him out, but he was getting madder & madder, and was starting to move toward the stage. I grabbed him and dragged him out of the club.

BTW: The one and a half songs I heard were OK. :D