Columbia vault reissues wish list

mikeweil

Given that Mosaic now handles reissues from the Columbia vault, what would you want to see out again?

My wishlist here:

Thelonious Monk: various live recordings not yet reissued, partly included on "Misterioso"

Duke Ellington: A Drum Is A Woman

D:E:: anything from the 1960's not yet on CD on Legacy

D.E.: 1950's sessions not yet on CD

Pony Poindexter: The Pony Express w. bonus tracks (1 AT and 1 Xmas tune from those sessions)

Jon Hendricks: Evolution of the Blues + 1 other

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that Mosaic now handles reissues from the Columbia vault, what would you want to see out again?

My wishlist here:

Thelonious Monk: various live recordings not yet reissued, partly included on "Misterioso"

Pony Poindexter: The Pony Express w. bonus tracks (1 AT and 1 Xmas tune from those sessions)

I'm with you on A Drum is A Woman. That was supposed to be out on Legacy by now, but nothing has happened since the merger.

I'd also like to see Miles Davis Live at Fillmore East released unedited, but that's likely a job Sony would keep to itself, good relations with Vince pending.

Easy answer for me - Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra 1934-1940. This was an amazing body of work, currently ignored since it isn't easily available (and this era of Ellington doesn't have a marketable name).

If we are really lucky they will send tons of promos to the internet critics and history will be corrected.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I've talked about Discovery! with MC and it's possible but it all depends on the "moods" of Charles himself if it will see the light of day. In the mean time there's a Japanese cd issue of this LP (very hard to find I know) with catalog number 25DP-5317 from 1988/89.

Easy answer for me - Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra 1934-1940. This was an amazing body of work, currently ignored since it isn't easily available (and this era of Ellington doesn't have a marketable name).

If we are really lucky they will send tons of promos to the internet critics and history will be corrected.

Yes, Chuck!!!

Those recordings have been at the top of my "CD re-issues wish list" for too long!

Incidentally, the other day I was listening to a Rex Stewart compilation on ASV, "Rexatious", which ends with some varied recordings of the Duke Ellington orchestra from this era. Man, "Trumpet in spades" & "Boy meets horn" are true masterpieces! (though not in the Columbia vaults, I guess, as they were recorded for Brunswick). I played them on my car stereo while I was driving and suddenly I found myself humbling, singing and almost crying out those melodies and solos.

A Drum is a Woman was reissued in 1995 in Europe, but perhaps not in US?

I wasn´t aware of that. Could you give any reference?

CD Columbia COL 4713202

Thanks, David. I should have known, as it even appears in the Duke Ellington Panorama website.

Absolutely OOP, I guess. Right?

BTW: I love the original cover...

33_1_b.JPG

I second (third?) the call for a reissue of the mid-30s Ellington sides. There are some interesting possibilities from the 30s-40s with RCA and Columbia under the same roof (Benny Goodman, even Ellington - Basie recorded only for Columbia and RCA in the 40s?) but I don't think they'll happen. All that stuff is PD in Europe and I doubt the labels would have any interest anyway (let's hope they'll keep licensing stuff to Mosaic and other labels).

In any case, I have the impression that the ones with the massively giant but largely untapped vault are Universal.

F

I wish Sony/BMG would give us a Legacy edition of Mingus' Let My Children Hear Music . Alas , the old 1992 CD is apparently still in print , so the wait will probably continue .

It would also be nice to see the four Denny Zeitlin Columbias receive a full reissue ( one and a half album's worth is out on Collectables ) . Add Zeitlin's work on Jeremy Steig's Columbia LP , Flute Fever , and you have a possible Mosaic Select .

A couple more that I wish Sony/BMG had gotten around too , but won't , now that Fresh Sound has reissues on the market :

The 1959 Columbia LP , Something New , Something Blue ( featuring the work of Albam , Macero , Charles and Russo ) . The Fresh Sound vinyl reissue of this had poor sound and I'm guessing the CD isn't much better . Anybody heard this CD ?

A couple of Epics ( Columbia subsidiary ) , The Rhythm Section , and The Rhythm Section Plus One , which have Hank Jones with Barry Galbraith , Milt Hinton and Osie Johnson with Jimmy Cleveland or Seldon Powell .

The Fresh Sound CD is called , The N.Y. Rhythm Section , but I don't know if it has all the material from both Epic LPs or what the sonics are like . Anybody know ?

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of Tony Bennetts like "Hometown" and "My Heart Sings" reissued on CD (although Legacy did do a series of Tony Bennett CD a while ago, I don't think those two where included).

Someone mentioned Mosaic's pricing in another thread - that and especially their distribution could be improved IMHO. And with the European PD law as it stands, competition is going to get tougher (you can get decent CDs from mint copies of LPs from 1956 onwards).

You can read a list of Columbia LPs, 1951-56, here.

F

My wishlist here:

Does everyone seem to think it's safe to consider no more Legacy reissues because Mosaic is doing a few?

Short of a proclamation from either Columbia/Sony or Mosaic I'm not leaping to that conclusion!

Personally I think that Legacy reissues look better and are a better bargain than Mosaic Singles and I'm hoping this leap is premature.

A Drum is a Woman was reissued in 1995 in Europe, but perhaps not in US?

I wasn´t aware of that. Could you give any reference?

CD Columbia COL 4713202

That was a Columbia France reissue IIRC. The same folks who brought us Ornette's Chappaqua Suite and the original CD issue of Such Sweet Thunder.