Columbia vault reissues wish list

mikeweil

I pretty much have most of what you listed in the earlier thread including all 9 of the Eubie Blake Music LPs.

When his death was announced in 1983, I rushed to order the remaining titles not already in my collection, figuring they would all be out of print quickly. I was right.

Did I overlook these four titles?

Eubie Blake: The Wizard of Ragtime Piano (20th Century Fox, later reissued on LP by RCA Victor-France)

Eubie Blake: The Marches I Played on the Old Ragtime Piano (20th Century Fox, later reissued on LP by RCA Victor-France)

William Bolcom & Joan Morris, with Eubie Blake: Wild About Eubie (Columbia LP) This is mostly a series of Bolcom/Morris duets, though Eubie has one solo and plays a number or two with Bolcom. Bolcom and his wife are/were on the music faculty at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, though I haven't checked to see if they are still there.

Eubie Blake/Frank Tanner (Harrison LP) vintage orchestral recordings from around the 1930s, one side devoted to each leader, though Blake doesn't play any of his compositions.

Edited by Ken Dryden

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pony Poindexter: The Pony Express w. bonus tracks (1 AT and 1 Xmas tune from those sessions)

I have this as a Koch issue purchased from Dusty Groove about fivr years ago,so it is doubtless OOP by now. Don't hasve the disc to hand (under a pile of discs) to check for any additional material.

The Tubby Hayes/Clark Terry disc was withdrawn because Polygram (as was) owns it; it originally came out when Columbia and Phillips had a distribution deal. This has come up on this site before.

Pony Poindexter: The Pony Express w. bonus tracks (1 AT and 1 Xmas tune from those sessions)

I have this as a Koch issue purchased from Dusty Groove about fivr years ago,so it is doubtless OOP by now. Don't hasve the disc to hand (under a pile of discs) to check for any additional material.

I, too have that Koch CD - it reissues the LP as it was, no bonus material. But I have an alternate take of Lanyop on a Columbia sampler LP, and the Xmas tune Pony contributed to the Jingle Bell Jazz LP also was recorded at these sessions - would be nice to have it all in one place.

Art Farmer - The Time and The Place with the bonus material from the 2LP set that came out in the 70's-early 80's. Charles Lloyd - Discovery. All of the Chico Hamilton stuff with Charles Lloyd and Gabor Szabo. Better reissues of Soft Machine 3-7, especially 3 and 4. And I agree that I'd rather see all of this on Legacy (though it won't happen).

Edited by felser

Dave Bailey made some good LPs for Epic in the early 60s. "One foot in the gutter" was reissued on CD by Koch a few years ago. As far as I know, "Two feet in the gutter", with the wonderful Frank Haynes has never come out on CD. And I think there was a third LP on Epic, but I'm not sure of this.

I'd also like to see a decent reissue of the George Benson/Lonnie Smith band Columbia material. I guess there's something approaching 5 LPs' worth of material that's been issued - and I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't more tracks knocking around in the vaults. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the material that issued wasn't faded out quite a significant time before the musicians stopped playing - Columbia kinda liked short tracks.

I'd also like to see a complete Mongo Santamaria set of Columbia material. Mongo had fabulous sidemen in those days: Capers; Laws; Fortune; Gasca; Purdie... Think I'll dig out the three I've got and play them...

MG

"One Foot" and "Two Feet" are both available from Japan on Epic Records. I have both in my hot little hands as we speak. It's the third one, "Getting Into Something" that's only available from Lonehill. BTW, FWIW, another thumb way up for Frank Haynes on "Two Feet" .

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

"One Foot" and "Two Feet" are both available from Japan on Epic Records. I have both in my hot little hands as we speak. It's the third one, "Getting Into Something" that's only available from Lonehill.

I don't know how tough it is to find or if Da Bastards re-stock, but my copy of Getting into Something came from an inexpensive vinyl reissue probably three or four years ago.

As far as Lonehill goes, I do give them credit for being complete bootleggers, as the Bailey set includes "Brownie Speaks" which was only issued on Almost Forgotten, an almost forgotten 1983 comp of unissued Columbia tunes. Since then, most of the music has made it out on CD reissues, but Lonehill's the only place you can find that forgotten track.

"One Foot" and "Two Feet" are both available from Japan on Epic Records. I have both in my hot little hands as we speak. It's the third one, "Getting Into Something" that's only available from Lonehill.

I don't know how tough it is to find or if Da Bastards re-stock, but my copy of Getting into Something came from an inexpensive vinyl reissue probably three or four years ago.

As far as Lonehill goes, I do give them credit for being complete bootleggers, as the Bailey set includes "Brownie Speaks" which was only issued on Almost Forgotten, an almost forgotten 1983 comp of unissued Columbia tunes. Since then, most of the music has made it out on CD reissues, but Lonehill's the only place you can find that forgotten track.

All tree LPs plus an extra track on one CD? Wow!

MG

Also, Three Suites is not a fifties album per se, correct, it's a cd compilation?

Three Suites is 2 lps on one cd. All this material was recorded in 1960.

Thanks. I've never seen these lps.

Guess this barely qualifies therefore as "fifties albums." My dad would say "1960 is the last year of the fifties, 1961 is the beginning of the sixties." He's no fun at parties.

MG

Two cd set!

I have steered clear.

Edited by jazzbo

MG

Two cd set!

I have steered clear.

Thanks Lon

MG

MG

Only contains part of the third album on the 2CD set.

Two cd set!

I have steered clear.

I'd also like to see a complete Mongo Santamaria set of Columbia material. Mongo had fabulous sidemen in those days: Capers; Laws; Fortune; Gasca; Purdie... Think I'll dig out the three I've got and play them...

I agree, but I counted ten LPs and one CD with previously unissued material. There is some commercialized stuff among it, covers of the pop hits of the day, with generic party vocals, typical early 60's stuff, that Michael Cuscuna wouldn't care for.

I don't see Columbia doing this .....

Waht are the three you have?

I agree, but I counted ten LPs and one CD with previously unissued material. There is some commercialized stuff among it, covers of the pop hits of the day, with generic party vocals, typical early 60's stuff, that Michael Cuscuna wouldn't care for.

I don't see Columbia doing this .....

Waht are the three you have?

I like the ones with versions of pop hits - mainly R&B material, of course. I've got

Stone Soul

Soul Bag

Hey! Let's party.

Listening to all three last night was most enjoyable. Sonny Fortune's work is particularly funky.

You're right about Cuscuna's views - he doesn't like commercial trash. So we'll have to wait until the material becomes out of copyright in Europe to see its reissue.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Jeremy Steig's "Flute Fever" was apparently going to be released by "Collectables" a couple of years ago, but it never materialized. It's a nice quartet session of not over-played jazz standards. ("Blue Seven," for example.) And I also have a soft spot for the Art Farmer group playing jazz "hits" - a couple unreleased tracks from that session showed up on the above mentioned "Time and the Place" double LP reissue.

How about John Lewis's "P.O.V. (Point of View)" .. a great album .... and there is also material from Orchestra U.S.A. .. and the Bob Prince material ....

There was also a fine 2-LP set featuring piano players called "They Played Bebop" or something like that. I used to have a copy in my late lamented LP collection ...

If we go through the Columbia catalog I am sure that there are many gems yet to be mined ..