Columbia vault reissues wish list

mikeweil

I'd also like to see a complete Mongo Santamaria set of Columbia material. Mongo had fabulous sidemen in those days: Capers; Laws; Fortune; Gasca; Purdie... Think I'll dig out the three I've got and play them...

I agree, but I counted ten LPs and one CD with previously unissued material. There is some commercialized stuff among it, covers of the pop hits of the day, with generic party vocals, typical early 60's stuff, that Michael Cuscuna wouldn't care for.

I don't see Columbia doing this .....

What are the three you have?

I like the ones with versions of pop hits - mainly R&B material, of course. I've got

Stone Soul

Soul Bag

Hey! Let's party.

Listening to all three last night was most enjoyable. Sonny Fortune's work is particularly funky.

You're right about Cuscuna's views - he doesn't like commercial trash. So we'll have to wait until the material becomes out of copyright in Europe to see its reissue.

MG

The three you have are among the best - especially the "Soul" albums are really cooking.

I recommend you get the CD Afro-American Latin which released hitherto unissued live and studio material. Fortune was in the band at the time, and blows some good solos. It can be had at mid price in the Legacy series.

The Greatest Hits on Columbia is a good selection - but make sure you get the issue with bonus tracks. I really wonder why Collectables didn't go for the Columbia Mongos - they did all the Atlantics.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about John Lewis's "P.O.V. (Point of View)" .. a great album .... and there is also material from Orchestra U.S.A. .. and the Bob Prince material ....

There was also a fine 2-LP set featuring piano players called "They Played Bebop" or something like that. I used to have a copy in my late lamented LP collection ...

The Lewis is a rare gem that ranks high on my wish list .....

I have half of the "Bebop" sessions - the French reissued them in session order with some bonus tracks on two CDs, but I got only one of them, and those who have them keep them, it seems. The sound is typical 1970's, a little dry and bland, but the music is nice.

Jimmy Rowles' 1970's sessions for French CBS also deserve a reissue.

I'd also like to see a complete Mongo Santamaria set of Columbia material. Mongo had fabulous sidemen in those days: Capers; Laws; Fortune; Gasca; Purdie... Think I'll dig out the three I've got and play them...

I agree, but I counted ten LPs and one CD with previously unissued material. There is some commercialized stuff among it, covers of the pop hits of the day, with generic party vocals, typical early 60's stuff, that Michael Cuscuna wouldn't care for.

I don't see Columbia doing this .....

What are the three you have?

I like the ones with versions of pop hits - mainly R&B material, of course. I've got

Stone Soul

Soul Bag

Hey! Let's party.

Listening to all three last night was most enjoyable. Sonny Fortune's work is particularly funky.

You're right about Cuscuna's views - he doesn't like commercial trash. So we'll have to wait until the material becomes out of copyright in Europe to see its reissue.

MG

The three you have are among the best - especially the "Soul" albums are really cooking.

I recommend you get the CD Afro-American Latin which released hitherto unissued live and studio material. Fortune was in the band at the time, and blows some good solos. It can be had at mid price in the Legacy series.

The Greatest Hits on Columbia is a good selection - but make sure you get the issue with bonus tracks. I really wonder why Collectables didn't go for the Columbia Mongos - they did all the Atlantics.

Thanks Mike - I'll try "Afro-American Latin".

MG