Columbia vault reissues wish list

mikeweil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1959 Columbia LP , Something New , Something Blue ( featuring the work of Albam , Macero , Charles and Russo ) . The Fresh Sound vinyl reissue of this had poor sound and I'm guessing the CD isn't much better . Anybody heard this CD ?

"Something New, Something Blue" is one that's available from time to time from Dusty Groove. That's where I got my copy. It sounds fine and the music is top notch. I bought this on the recommendation of a fellow board member, although I can't recall who it was. Here's the Dusty blurb:

Manny Albam, Bill Russo, Teo Macero, & Others -- Something New, Something Blue . . . CD . . . $12.99

Columbia/Fresh Sound (Spain), 1959

The cover of this one makes it look like a no-name leaderless session, but this one actually features some great work by some very hip players! Half the album features vibist Teddy Charles leading a group of modernists that includes Hal McKusick, Frank Socolow, Bill Russon, Bob Brookmeyer, Mal Waldron, and Donald Byrd -- on tracks that have a bluesy base, but a bit of an edge to them. The other half features Manny Albam leading a combo with Al Cohn, Teo Macero, Art Farmer, Bill Evans, Phil Woods, and Eddie Costa. The session was done to showcase the talents of 4 of the best modern arrangers of the late 50s -- Manny Albam, Bill Russon, Teo Macero, and Teddy Charles -- all of whom contribute some great charts to a set of tracks that includes "Swinging Goatsherd Blues", "East Hampton Blues", "Blues In The Night", "Night Crawlers", and "Blues For Amy".

Up over and out.

Dave Brubeck told me that there are at least two unissued sessions in Columbia's vault featuring clarinetist Bill Smith in Paul Desmond's place. One was tentatively titled "Witches' Brew" (long before Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew") but it never was released.

I would love to see a thorough series of CDs covering 1930s Duke Ellington and Count Basie sessions.

wait wait u mean all those 30s Columbia Ellijngton 78s i have, theve NEVER been on cd?!?? is that what youre saying?

I don't know what he's saying.

As far as I know all the thirties Columbia commercially released titles have seen release on Chronogical Classics cds.

Don Ellis - "At Fillmore"

Most Ellis Columbias are out on CD:

Electric Bath - Legacy

Shock Treatment - Koch

At Fillmore - Wounded Bird

Tears of Joy - Wounded Bird

Goes Underground - Wounded Bird

Connection - Wounded Bird

Still missing:

Autumn (was on French CBS, OOP)

Although I have the latter CD, I would love to see a complete version of the live part of this!

Personally I think that Legacy reissues look better and are a better bargain than Mosaic Singles and I'm hoping this leap is premature.

Yes to the first part, and hope you're right to the second!

Well, I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary.

E-mailed Mosaic a few suggestions for vocalists' sets some months back:

1. Alberta Hunter 70s/80s Columbia - four albums, one of which is on CD I believe;

2. Ethel Waters Columbia (maybe a selection of the best for a Select?).

Some Duke albums(?) listed on AMG which I haven't seen on CD or were reissued long ago:

1. The Girl's Suite and Perfume Suite

2. Three Suites

3. Duke At The Bal Masque

4. Jazz At The Plaza V.2

Three Suites I think is still in print.

Bal Masque has, I believe, been on cd in France. . .Jazz at the Plaza Vol. 2 has been out on cd in Japan. BOTH are great, would be nice to see as Columbia Legacy cds. (I really think Legacy does a great job. Better than Mosaic on single releases).

I agree though that Bal Masque might be a good fit for the Mosaic Single series.

Personally, I'd really like to see a Columbia set that reissued all the available material from the Plaza event. It was a Columbia Records event. The brass were there and some of the best of the roster. I understand that the Holiday is unsuitable for release. . . but there must be a bit more than has come out of hte others' performances and maybe more still. I can imagine a nice booklet wtih photos and some background on the staff and artists of that year.

I suggested it to MC some time ago. I remember him being only slightly interested.

Edited by jazzbo

Let's get that Clark Terry-Tubby Hayes Columbia disc out in circulation again!!!!

RCA did quite a few CD reissues in the late 80s-early 90s that would deserve re-reissuing :blink: too.

Also, has "The 86 Years of Eubie Blake" (Columbia) ever been reissued on CD?

Not really urgent, but I'd also like to see a decent reissue of Woody Herman's First Herd (whenever the Mosaic and the poor Blowin' Up A Storm become OOP, I guess).

F

I've always liked The 86 Years of Eubie Blake, though it has never appeared on CD in the U.S. I finally found an LP copy of his 91 Years Young, an RCA Victor France release, purchased from a Canadian dealer.

If you enjoy his music, pick up the live anthology Jazz Piano Masters from Chiaroscuro, though

Blake misintroduces his own "Troublesome Ivories" as "Tricky Fingers." Great solos by Claude

Hopkins, Dill Jones and Teddy Wilson are also on this CD.

I've always liked The 86 Years of Eubie Blake, though it has never appeared on CD in the U.S. I finally found an LP copy of his 91 Years Young, an RCA Victor France release, purchased from a Canadian dealer.

If you enjoy his music, pick up the live anthology Jazz Piano Masters from Chiaroscuro, though

Blake misintroduces his own "Troublesome Ivories" as "Tricky Fingers." Great solos by Claude

Hopkins, Dill Jones and Teddy Wilson are also on this CD.

Thanks a lot for your input, Ken.

A few months ago I did some research on what´s available on CD from this piano master:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...&hl=eubie+blake

Any additional help is much appreciated!

Easy answer for me - Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra 1934-1940. This was an amazing body of work, currently ignored since it isn't easily available (and this era of Ellington doesn't have a marketable name).

If we are really lucky they will send tons of promos to the internet critics and history will be corrected.

Amen to that.